Has anyone seen a full report from this study?

Leong, Kirsten

Apr 17, 2015, 10:34:06 AM4/17/15
to SSWG...@conbio.org

Hi,

Apparently, an opinion poll by ZSL got a lot of attention at the World Parks Congress as evidence for a need for stricter conservation measures.

http://www.zsl.org/conservation/space-for-nature-iucn-world-parks-congress-2014/global-public-opinion-survey-on-space

http://www.zsl.org/conservation/news/planet%E2%80%99s-protected-areas-fall-short-of-public%E2%80%99s-expectations

Some soundbites:  "Planet’s protected areas fall short of public’s expectations" and "A poll of more than 7,000 people from Australia, Brazil, China, India, South Africa, UK and USA shows people think that 50% of the planet’s land and oceans should be protected, when in reality a mere 3% of the world’s oceans and only 15% of land is currently under protection."

I'm curious how the questions were asked. In the absence of context, people want a lot of things. Has anyone seen anything more than an infographic, especially anything with the instrument?

As much as I'm a proponent for community-based social marketing, it was also interesting to me that an ad agency was a partner on the project.

I'd be interested to learn more about the study!

Kirsten

Kirsten Leong | Human Dimensions of Biological Resource Management
National Park Service | Natural Resource Stewardship and Science | Biological Resources Division
1201 Oakridge Dr., Suite 200 | Fort Collins, Colorado | 80525