{SSWG} Digest for SSWGlist@conbio.org

1 view

jenny anne glikman

May 3, 2017, 12:40:46 PM5/3/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org

Hi,

I am re-thinking in the reading lists for the Master students of this year course of Human Dimensions of Wildlife, and would love to hear from you, which is the top 3/5 MUST read in Human Dimensions of Wildlife?

Please suggest either a chapter in a book or an article. Not an entire book.

Thank YOU!
Kind Regards,

Jenny

Jenny A. Glikman, PhD
Social Scientist
Community Engagement, Institute for Conservation Research
San Diego Zoo Global
ja...@hotmail.com
jgli...@sandiegozoo.org

.

Leslie Cornick

May 3, 2017, 1:08:35 PM5/3/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org
Megan Draheim on human wildlife conflict.

Sent from the MoPhone. Woof.

peter.mackelworth

May 3, 2017, 1:21:21 PM5/3/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org
Clark. The policy process

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Nuno Negrões

May 3, 2017, 3:01:37 PM5/3/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org
Dear Jenny

Here are my suggestions:

Amy Dickman, 2010. Complexities of Conflict: The Importance of Considering Social Factors for Effectively Resolving Human–Wildlife Conflict

Redpath et al. 2013. Understanding and managing conservation conflicts

Pooley et al. 2016. An interdisciplinary review of current and future approaches to improving human–predator relations

Regards

Nuno

Matthew Selinske

May 3, 2017, 8:26:03 PM5/3/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org
This listserv may also be helpful for you. Also check out some of the reading suggestions on this thread.

The Clark policy paper may help you with conservation science policy

Matthew Selinske
PhD Candidate
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies
RMIT University

skype: matthew.selinske

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/a/conbio.org/group/SSWGlist

Rebecca Witter

May 4, 2017, 9:08:29 AM5/4/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org

Hi SSWG,

It's been a long time. I love this question (re: top 3-5 Human Dimensions of Wildlife readings). Hard to narrow down to five but a few of my favorites include the following. With the exception the last, these bring in a political ecology approach. The first is a true special stand out for me.

Sodikoff 2011 Totem and Taboo Reconsidered: Endangered Species and Moral Practice in Madagascar. In Anthropology of Extinction: Essays on Culture and Species Death

Campbell, L. Local Conservation Practice and Global Discourse: A Political Ecology of Sea Turtle Conservation. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 97(2), 2007, pp. 313–334

Neumann, R. 2004. Moral and discursive geographies in the war. for biodiversity in Africa. Political Geography 23 (2004) 813–837

The Neumann piece is a classic and pairs well with the next ones on militarized conservation- I’d find it hard to teach human dimensions of wildlife today without addressing militarized conservation so Lunstrum 2014 Green militarization and Duffy 2014 Waging War to Save Biodiversity are key there. Lunstrum and Buscher also have separate pieces that delve into the role of social media in perpetuating conservation related violence that might be interesting to students. I can pass along the details if your interested.

Finally (and not political ecology in bent), I’d use this opportunity to draw attention to recent work completed by a young South African scholar who many of us will want to look out for, Robin Cook. Excellent piece on human-ele relations and mobility. Check it out:

Cook, et al.  Elephant movement patterns in relation to human inhabitants in and around the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park. Koedoe (South African journal associated with Kruger National Park) doi:10.4102/koedoe.v57i1.1298

Best of luck with the course planning and thanks all for the great recommendations so far.

Best,

Rebecca Witter

Rebecca Witter
Department of Sustainable Development