Quantitative survey questions for relational wellbeing

Shauna Mahajan

Jun 15, 2016, 5:00:53 PM6/15/16
to SSWG Working Group List
Hi everyone,

My team is working to develop a household survey instrument, aimed at measuring the impacts of a conservation intervention on human wellbeing. I am curious if anyone has had any experience with quantitative surveys addresses relational wellbeing in particular? We are drawing inspiration from the wellbeing in developing countries research group (WeD) and defining wellbeing as "a state of being with others, where human needs are met, where one can act meaningfully to pursue one’s goals, and where one enjoys a satisfactory quality of life" (McGregor, 2008)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Shauna

Kelly Biedenweg

Jun 17, 2016, 1:19:38 PM6/17/16
to SSWG Working Group List
Hello, Shauna

You might want to take a look at the work we have been doing in Puget Sound.  Here are the indicators:  https://www.eopugetsound.org/sites/default/files/files/Human%20Wellbeing%20indicators%20TechMemo.pdf.

We are using a household survey every two years to monitor the majority of indicators.  Others are collected via existing data.  I'd be happy to chat with you more.

Best,
Kelly Biedenweg, PhD
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
Oregon State University

Patricia Pinto da.Silva - NOAA Federal

Jun 20, 2016, 9:49:31 AM6/20/16
to SSWG...@conbio.org, Lisa Colburn - NOAA Federal
Shauna, You may want to check with  Lisa Colburn - she has implemented on in the Northeast US in coastal communities and might have a copy to provide you.

Patricia

Patricia Pinto da Silva, PhD

Social Scientist

NOAA Fisheries