Re: Coral Reef Working Group Symposium on Interdisciplinary coral reef conservation

Meredith Gore

Dec 5, 2016, 6:55:24 PM12/5/16
to Fraser J-H, sswg...@conbio.org
Dear Fraser-
Thanks so much for your email. I think reaching out to the SSWG
listserve is a great idea. You should feel free to post directly at:
sswg...@conbio.org. I can also reach out to the SSWG board and target
them and their networks directly if you like?
Best,
Meredith

--
Meredith L. Gore, PhD

Associate Professor, Michigan State University
Jefferson Science Fellow, US State Department, Office of the Geographer and Global Issues
President, Social Science Working Group, Society for Conservation Biology

www.conservationcriminology.com

Fraser J-H

Dec 6, 2016, 11:17:51 AM12/6/16
to sswg...@conbio.org
Hi all,

as Meredith has mentioned, the Coral Reef WG is putting a symposium in to the next ICCB with inter-disciplinary approaches to coral reef conservation as a theme, and are hoping a member of the SSWG would be interested in taking part in our symposium as a speaker or on the discussion panel (maybe a couple of contributors to the panel). Within the symposium,we wish to address the use of inter-disciplinary frameworks to identify conservation opportunities and actions for coral reefs, and how to approach/consider issues of governance both within the conservation and wider communities. Obviously these are broad topics, and the nature of the symposium set-up and likely audience makes deep dives difficult, but how governance in particular can influence conservation is often underappreciated, or considered in an ad hoc manner. A perspective and lessons from the social sciences would, we think, generate a useful discussion and hopefully open up some opportunities for future research and conservation.

If you are interested in either giving a talk or being on the panel, let me know. If you see this post-deadline for symposium submission, please still contact me.

Cheers

Fraser