Knowledge Nexus Applying transdisciplinary and systems approaches for sustainable weed management, Alberta Canada 6-10 June 2016

Meredith Gore

Aug 31, 2015, 9:59:18 AM8/31/15
to sswg...@conbio.org
A refreshing and dynamic international workshop
• Are you enthusiastic about learning from, and working with, people
from other disciplines?
• Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your expertise in a new
context?
• Would you like the chance to explore how social science, agricultural
and natural systems can come together to work more effectively?
Then this is the workshop for you!
our next international weeds workshop.
Our ambitious goal is to make holistic weed management a reality through
transdisciplinarity!

How are we going to make this happen?
• Bring together a diverse group of enthusiastic researchers and
managers with expertise from within and beyond weed and invasive plant
management
• Use a unique format that throws away the sleep-inducing atmosphere of
traditional conference venues and programs – there will be no one-way
presentations of research results!
• Provide plenty of time and avenues for deep debate within and across
disciplines
• Focus on a complex weed case study in southern Alberta, which we will
visit
• Build on the lessons learned from the first two highly successful
“ANDinA” workshops
• Give everyone a specific role to play in ensuring the meeting’s success
• Enable emerging researchers to take leading roles
• Make time for project conceptualisation, paper and grant preparation
• Daily walking in the fresh mountain air

Questions we will consider…
• How can we simultaneously address the ecological, agronomic,
socio-economic and political dimensions of weed and invasive plant
management?
• How can we successfully engage with societal stakeholders to better
understand complex weed issues and how to solve them?
• How can we achieve truly transdisciplinary disciplinary research?
• Will a transdisciplinary approach provide us with different outcomes
to what we have now?

Interested in knowing more?
• Apply now! http://andinaalberta.weebly.com/participation.html
the workshop