Call for Presenters: ICCB 2017 Symposium on Land Acquisitions for Conservation

Christoph Nolte

Dec 1, 2016, 2:24:04 PM12/1/16
to SSWG...@conbio.org
Dear colleagues,

We are looking for presenters to join our symposium proposal on land acquisitions for conservation for the 2017 International Conference for Conservation Biology in Cartagena, Colombia.

The symposium brings together quantitative scholars conducting empirical research on the practice of land acquisitions/donations for conservation. I'm glad to partner with Dominic Parker, Rob Baldwin, and Oliver Schöttker (PhD student of Frank Wätzold) for this. Please find a preliminary draft text attached below.

If this is of interest to you, please send a short email to chrn...@bu.edu by next Monday (Dec 5, 2017). We will consider all suggestions and will be excited about presentations that help us diversify our geographical and thematic focus.

Looking forward to seeing you next year in Cartagena,

Christoph

----

Land acquisitions for conservation:
reconciling plans with empirical reality

Land acquisitions are a key instrument in the conservationist’s toolbox. Over the past decades, organizations and individuals have spent billions of dollars to protect habitats through the purchase or donation of full or partial land rights. Their importance is bound to increase, as climate change pushes species outside existing reserves, while public park creation has stalled in many countries.

Scientists have made significant progress in optimal site selection and policy design. Yet, real-life acquisitions rarely occur in “optimal” ways. Discrepancies between planning and reality are well documented, but scholars rarely explain why they exist and persist. Rigorous assessments of the drivers and impacts of land acquisitions are key to understanding where acquisitions occur, why, and how they can be improved.

This symposium brings together empirical quantitative analyses illuminating key aspects of the practice of land acquisition in four countries. Questions include: how and why do patterns of land acquisitions diverge from identified priorities? How do incentive policies affect rates of private land protection? Under what circumstances is buying land more cost-effective than borrowing land? Insights will inform a discussion about opportunities to improve planning tools and policy.

Presentation Titles:
  • Land acquisitions for conservation: drivers of spatial allocation in the USA, Chile, and Colombia
  • Actual vs. optimized spatial patterns of easements in the Appalachian landscape
  • Effects of tax incentives on the expansion of conservation easements in the USA
  • Cost-effectiveness of buying vs. borrowing land in Northern Germany

--
Christoph Nolte
Assistant Professor