ICCB predictive conservation workshop

Matthew Selinske

Jul 12, 2017, 1:52:37 AM7/12/17
to SSWG...@conbio.org

Dear SSWG,

For those attending ICCB in Cartagena we invite you to attend our workshop, A manifesto for predictive conservation, taking place during the lunch period, 1:30-2:30 on Tuesday the 25th in room Secretaría General.

Interdisciplinary predictive approaches are increasingly used by conservation scientists and practitioners for ex ante policy analysis, but have not been applied systematically to frame conservation problems or inform decision-making. In this workshop, we will review predictive methods—of which many were developed in the social sciences—and showcase how these novel approaches can be used by researchers and practitioners.

An expert panel, made up of Prof Sarah Bekessy (RMIT University), Prof Mark Burgman (Imperial College and Editor-in-Chief of Conservation Biology), Dr. Louise Glew (Lead Scientist at WWF), Prof E.J. Milner Gulland (Oxford University), and Prof James Watson (University of Queensland, WCS and current president of SCB), will discuss the potential of predictive approaches, followed by a 30-minute general discussion with the audience and panel members. The workshop is organized and chaired by early-career researchers.

We look forward to seeing you in Cartagena!

Matthew Selinske
PhD Candidate
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies
RMIT University

skype: matthew.selinske