scientist sign on letter - roadless areas and Alaska rainforest conservation

Dominick DellaSala

Jan 5, 2018, 4:14:02 PM1/5/18
to NAl...@conbio.org

Dear Colleagues - we have an urgent request for scientists to weigh in on millions of acres of public lands threatened by conservation rollbacks proposed in Congress. Please join these distinguished scientists in signing the scientist letter online in support of the national roadless conservation rule and Alaska rainforests. SCB has weighed in previously in support of these initiatives.

Click here to sign on

(https://ng122-18353f.pages.infusionsoft.net/)

Members of Congress

United States Senate and House of Representatives

United States Capital

Washington, D.C.

Dear Members of Congress:

As scientists working in diverse natural resource‐related disciplines, we write with great concern for provisions in the Senate’s fiscal 2018 spending bill for the Interior Department that threaten one of our country’s most important conservation laws—the 2001 Roadless Area Conservation Rule—and the federal forests in Alaska that it protects. Section 509 of that bill would outright exempt our two largest national forests, the Tongass and the Chugach, from the Roadless Rule. Section 508 would overturn the Tongass management plan that adds protections for large “inventoried” roadless areas and other ecologically critical lands, and charts a transition away from logging old‐growth forests. These riders pose grave threats to fish and wildlife populations (and the residents, visitors, and businesses dependent on them), our national interest in conserving vanishing wildlands, and the urgent task of limiting climate change.

The Roadless Rule, adoption and retention of which millions of Americans supported, was a critical step in preserving the invaluable benefits that intact forests provide to our country. Undisturbed roadless areas reduce flood threats and supply clean sources of drinking water to millions of Americans. They maintain the integrity and productivity of aquatic ecosystems throughout the nation. They are sanctuaries for wildlife, helping to prevent or alleviate the need to list imperiled species as threatened or endangered. And, as the realities of global climate change become ever more apparent, their importance in maintaining large forest carbon reserves is increasingly recognized as indispensable in mitigating adverse climate effects.ᶦᶦ

Nowhere are the benefits of protecting roadless areas and similar ecologically important lands greater than on the Tongass. With towering old‐growth trees that can live 700‐1,000 years, it is our country’s largest expanse of native forest and one of the last remaining intact coastal rainforests in the world.ᶦᶦᶦ Together with the Chugach, it harbors a quarter of all inventoried roadless areas nationwide.ᶦᵛ Its ancient forests support the world’s largest breeding concentration of bald eagles, rare endemic taxa like the Alexander Archipelago wolf, and one of the highest densities of brown bears on the globe.ᵛᶦ Retaining the existing roadless areas of the Tongass is a “key element” in sustaining the region’s extraordinary salmon runsᵛᶦᶦ (and their commercial, subsistence, and recreational fisheries). The Tongass also represents North America’s largest carbon sink,ᵛᶦᶦᶦ some of the richest, most biologically productive forest on Earth, and twenty‐nine percent of the world’s unlogged coastal temperate rainforest.ᶦˣ

We urge you to vote against any bill containing these riders, for the sake of America’s publicly owned natural heritage, the fish, wildlife, biodiversity, and people dependent on its continued well‐being, and our country’s leadership on native forest conservation that is vital to containing climate damage. Thank you for considering our views on this matter of national significance.

Respectfully yours,

Dr. Paul Ehrlich

Bing Prof. of Population Studies Emeritus

President, Center for Conservation Biology

Stanford Universityˣ

Dr. Stanley Temple

Beers‐Bascom Professor Emeritus in Conservation

University of Wisconsin‐Madison

Senior Fellow, Aldo Leopold Foundation

Dr. Gretchen Daily

Bing Professor in Environmental Science

Director, Center for Conservation Biology

Stanford University

Dr. Norman Christensen

Prof. of Ecology Em. and Founding Dean

Nicholas School of the Environment

Duke University

Dr. Monica G. Turner

Eugene P. Odum Professor of Ecology

Vilas Research Professor

University of Wisconsin

Dr. John Robinson

Exec. Vice Pres., Conservation & Science

Wildlife Conservation Society

Dr. Simon Levin

James McDonnell Distinguished Univ. Prof.

Director of the Center for BioComplexity

Princeton University

Dr. Barry Noon

Professor, Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology

Colorado State University

Dr. Thomas Lovejoy

University Professor

George Mason University

Senior Fellow, UN Foundation

Dr. Russell Lande

Professor of Biology Emeritus

University of California, San Diego

Dr. David Wilcove

Professor of Ecology, Evolutionary

Biology, and Public Affairs

Princeton University

Dr. George Woodwell

Director Emeritus

Woods Hold Research Center

Dr. Beverly Law

Professor, Global Change Biology &

Terrestrial Systems Science

Oregon State University

Dr. Dennis Murphy

Research Professor

University of Nevada, Reno

Dr. Clifford Duke

Director, Science Programs

Ecological Society of America

Dr. Cara Nelson

Associate Professor of Restoration Ecology

University of Montana

i DellaSala, D.A., J.R. Karr, and D.M. Olson. 2011. Roadless areas and clean water. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 66:78A‐84A.

ii The World Bank. Outcomes from COP21: Forests as Key Climate and Development Solution. 2015. http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2015/12/18/outcomes‐from‐cop21‐forests‐as‐a‐key‐climate‐ and‐development‐solution.

iii DellaSala. D.A. 2011. Temperate and boreal rainforests of the world: ecology and conservation. Island Press: Washington DC.

iv Compare https://www.fs.usda.gov/roadmain/roadless/home and  https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/roadless/2001roadlessrule/maps/statemaps/?cid=fsm8_037699.

v Jacobson, M.J., and J.I. Hodges. 1999. Population trend of adult bald eagles in Alaska. Journal of Raptor Research 33:295–298.

vi https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/?cid=stelprdb5401845

vii Bryant, D.B. and F.H. Everest. 1998. Management and Condition of Watersheds in Southeast Alaska: The Persistence of Anadromous Salmon. Northwest Science 72(4):249‐267.

viii Leighty, W.W., S.P. Hamburg, and J. Caouette. 2006. Effects of management on carbon sequestration in forest biomass in southeast Alaska. Ecosphere 9:1051‐1065.

ix Kramer, M., A.J. Hansen, M.L. Taper, and E.J. Kissinger. 2001. Abiotic Controls on Long‐Term Windthrow Disturbance and Temperate Rain Forest Dynamics in Southeast Alaska. Ecology 82(10):2749‐2768.

x All signatories’ institutional information is provided for identification purposes only.

Dominick A. DellaSala, Ph.D | President, Chief Scientist
Editor and Primary Author "Temperate and Boreal Rainforests of the World: Ecology & Conservation" https://islandpress.org/author/dominick-a-dellasala
Co-editor and Author "The Ecological Importance of Mixed-Severity Fires:Nature's Phoenix"
www.scitechconnect.elsevier.com/author/dominick-dellasala/
Co-editor "Encyclopedia of the Anthropocene" https://www.elsevier.com/books/encyclopedia-of-the-anthropocene/dellasala/978-0-12-809665-9

Geos Institute | 84 Fourth Street | Ashland, Oregon 97520
Phone: 541.482.4459 x302 | 541-621-7223 (cell) | Fax: 541.482.7282
E-mail: domi...@geosinstitute.org | Website: www.geosinstitute.org

The Geos Institute is leading the way to climate change solutions that matter.