Lend your name in support of Manitoba's Historic Conservation Opportunity!

Meredith Trainor

Mar 10, 2015, 3:45:45 PM3/10/15
to NAl...@conbio.org, jeff...@borealbirds.org, David Childs

Dear fellow scientists,

I am emailing you today to see if you would consider adding your name to a letter we have generated asking Manitoba to establish a forward-thinking forest conservation policy that would protect at least half of its Boreal forest region from industrial development.

We believe that Manitoba is poised for a breakout year on forest conservation, and this letter could help push momentum over the top.

You can view the letter and add your name here:
http://borealbirds.org/letter/manitoba2015

In 2007, around 1,500 scientists from around the world issued a letter calling on Canada to protect at least half of its Boreal forest to balance environmental and economic needs. Two provinces, Ontario and Quebec, have since adopted policies in line with this benchmark.

We think Manitoba could be next, but our collective voice as a scientific community is needed to ensure such a policy remains high on the province’s radar in the coming year.

I also encourage you to forward this message on to any scientific colleagues you may have (professors, research scientists, etc.) to maximize the strength of our voice.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dr. Jeff Wells
Senior Scientist, International Boreal Conservation Campaign

(Shared on behalf of Jeff Wells)