New Course: Learn to make global climate models work for local conservation decision-making

NZP-SCBI Training

Sep 18, 2015, 10:41:47 AM9/18/15
to nal...@conbio.org

Statistical Downscaling of Global Climate Models in SDSM 5.2

December 7-11, 2015

The Statistical DownScaling Model (SDSM) is a freely available software tool that facilitates the rapid development of multiple, low-cost, single-site scenarios of daily surface weather variables under present and future climate forcing. This course trains on the use and application of this decision support tool for assessing local climate change impacts, and is taught by professionals currently using this technique in their own research. The course progresses from download and management of site-specific climate data, to development of future scenarios of climate change based on global models, and finally to downscaling techniques including quality control and data transformation; screening of downscaling predictor variables; model calibration; weather generators; analysis and graphing of observed and downscaled data; frequency analysis; scenario generation; and time series analysis. The course will be led by Dr. Adam Fenech, Director of the Climate Lab at the University of Prince Edward Island, and Dr. Robert Wilby, Professor of Hydroclimatic Modelling at Loughborough University and co-developer of the SDSM software.

Additional Upcoming Courses:

·        Statistics for Ecology and Conservation (February 29- March 11, 2016)

·        Practical Zoo Nutrition Management (April 11-15, 2016) - new!

·        Species Monitoring & Conservation: Terrestrial Mammals (May 9-20, 2016)

The Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation, is offering a number of graduate/professional training courses over the coming year, many of which will be new offerings for the School.  Most courses can be taken either for graduate credit or continuing education units. A number of full scholarships are available for all qualified applicants to our upcoming courses, and new reduced fees are now available to applicants from less-developed nations. We have also recently lowered our food and lodging rates for course participants. Visit our website (http://SMConservation.gmu.edu) or email us at SCBItr...@si.edu for more details about each course, course costs, and credits earned.