FW: Please join sign-on letter supporting DOI Climate Science Centers

Carlos Carroll

Jun 7, 2017, 2:10:56 PM6/7/17
to NAl...@conbio.org
From: Bruce Stein
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 6:44 PM
To: Bruce Stein
Subject: Please join sign-on letter supporting DOI Climate Science Centers

Dear Colleagues –

President Trump’s FY18 budget proposes to slash US Geological Survey
funding for the National Climate Change and Wildlife Science Center
(NCCWSC) and Department of Interior Climate Science Centers (CSCs).
These budget cuts would lead to closure of half the regional centers
and severely undermine the ability of this important program to
provide wildlife and land managers with the scientific information
they need to adapt in the face of unprecedented climatic and land use
changes. Information about these centers and their work in supporting
conservation and responsible land management can be found at
http://nccwsc.usgs.gov, as well as in the attached fact sheet.

To push back against these unwise and short-sighted budget reductions,
National Wildlife Federation and several collaborating organizations
(Defenders of Wildlife, The Wildlife Society, and Union of Concerned
Scientists) are circulating the attached sign-on letter designed to
demonstrate to the House and Senate appropriations committees that
these programs have strong support from across the conservation,
environmental, and natural resource management communities. We invite
you to sign your organization onto this letter as a way of showing
support for the role of sound science in federal, state, and tribal
management of fish, wildlife, and other natural resources.

If you are able to sign onto the letter, we would ask that you respond
as soon as possible, but no later than Friday June 16, 2017. Please
provide your organization name, as well as name and title of
individual signing. Please send your response to Colton Naval at
nav...@nwf.org.

Because we are looking to get a very large number of co-signers, we
would encourage you to pass this around to your own networks and
collaborators and encourage them to sign on as well.

Thanks so much in advance!

Bruce

Bruce A. Stein, Ph.D.

Associate Vice President

Conservation Science & Climate Adaptation

National Wildlife Federation

1200 G Street NW, Suite 900 | Washington, DC 20005

202-797-6602

www.nwf.org/climatesmart

Uniting all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in a rapidly changing world
CSC Letter for Sign On 6-2-17.pdf
allCSC_updated_lores.pdf