Chair Report to the Membership

Donald Dale Milne

Jan 6, 2020, 10:11:31 PM1/6/20
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com, gcd-...@googlegroups.com, gcd-p...@googlegroups.com, gcd-e...@googlegroups.com, gcd-tech, gcd-deu...@googlegroups.com, gcd-f...@googlegroups.com, gcd-c...@googlegroups.com, gcd-...@googlegroups.com, gcd-s...@googlegroups.com, gcd-i...@googlegroups.com, gcd-nederlan...@googlegroups.com, mycomic...@comics.org
    Though I have only been Chair for a month, I think it's both appropriate and helpful to submit a year end report to the membership.  One of the first things I did was to investigate the status of all of our Coordinators, Administrators, Committees, and other organizational infrastructure.  Unfortunately, I discovered that even though there have been great improvements made in the database, our organization is a mess.  Over half of our coordinators and committees either having no active members, others have no function, and others simply are not reporting.  I am making recommendations to the Board to attempt to get the GCD back on its track and allow us to show a more robust and organized face when we start working on fundraising.  We need to begin working as a real non-profit organization and cleaning up our current internal situation is a first step.

    This will mean that our committees and other internal groups will need more volunteers to step up.  We cannot expect others to help us with funding if we do not help ourselves with our time.  So please look at the status of the committees and coordinator positions below and LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU CAN HELP.

- Don Milne

1. Documentation Coordinators (https://docs.comics.org/wiki/Coordinators#Documentation_Coordinators ):
The Board needs to appoint 2 new coordinators to fill two positions.  Anyone who has previously edited our documentation would be most welcome, but that experience is not required.

2. PR Coordinators (https://docs.comics.org/wiki/Coordinators#PR_Coordinators ):
The Board needs to appoint 3 new coordinators to fill three positions.  Anyone who has previously worked on maintaining a social media presence would be most welcome, but that experience is not required.  We currently have accounts on:
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Tumblr
Instagram
3. Rules/Policy Coordinators (https://docs.comics.org/wiki/Coordinators#Rules.2FPolicy_Coordinators ):
The Board needs to appoint 1 new coordinator to fill one position.  As many of you know, discussions on that list frequently are muddled, turn nasty, and have difficulty arriving at voting language.  We have often had burnout and resignation among the coordinators.  Anyone with ideas to improve the situation would be most welcome, but simply moving discussions to conclusions more often will also be appreciated.

4. Ad Revenue Coordinators (https://docs.comics.org/wiki/Coordinators#Ad_Revenue_Coordinators ):
The Board needs to appoint 1 new coordinator to fill one position.  In addition to helping to set up advertising on our site (the source of most of the GCD's income), we still have logo merchandise for sale at one location and we may have others.  We already have two volunteers: Bob Bailey and Ron Sadowski, who will be beginning work shortly.  Anyone who has experience with merchandising would be most welcome, but that experience is not required.

5. Convention Circuit Committee ( https://docs.comics.org/wiki/Committees#Convention_Circuit_Committee ):
The Board needs to appoint new committee members, probably 3-5 people.  Our Convention Circuit Committee has not been active in years and therefore the GCD has absolutely no presence at comic conventions.  The first task would be to develop a convention attendance plan for the 2020 season.

6. GCD Comics History Awards Committee (https://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/341/ ):
Chair Tony Rose needs to find 3 committee members for three positions.  As he will fill the committee, if you are interested you should contact him directly.

Donald Dale Milne

Jan 17, 2020, 7:10:33 PM1/17/20
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com, gcd-...@googlegroups.com, gcd-p...@googlegroups.com, gcd-e...@googlegroups.com, gcd-tech, gcd-deu...@googlegroups.com, gcd-f...@googlegroups.com, gcd-c...@googlegroups.com, gcd-...@googlegroups.com, gcd-s...@googlegroups.com, gcd-i...@googlegroups.com, gcd-nederlan...@googlegroups.com, mycomic...@comics.org
    Yes, I'm still looking for volunteers for the following committees.  The Convention committee is especially important at this time if we are to have any chance of developing a plan and attending conventions during 2020!  Please help on any committee you can.

    And thanks to those who have already volunteered!

- Don Milne