Issue display

Mike Nielsen

Dec 31, 2019, 6:12:39 PM12/31/19
to mycomic...@comics.org
OK, another one.

When I view an issue I have, can you somewhere show me the condition (and what I paid, and any other info I added) on the issue page so I don't have to go to the default have collection link?

Preferably at the top of the screen, before it shows the volume, indicia frequency, etc....

Mike Nielsen

sangorshop .

Dec 31, 2019, 6:28:57 PM12/31/19
to mycomic...@comics.org
This ties into what i was thinking, IMHO, mycomics shouldnt be a
mini- GCD, but a whole new system
that uses the GCD data and covers to help collectors keep tabs on
their collection.

a collector (casual or hardcore) wants to see first: do I have this vs
do I want this.
that should be the major thing up front on the mobile device.
then comes other things, do i want a better condition, different editions, etc.

things like indicia frequency, even plot summary are secondary. and
should be accessible but still secondary.

The GCD is for historians and researchers, the mycomics is for collectors.

Steven Rowe,

Henry Andrews

Dec 31, 2019, 6:32:37 PM12/31/19
to mycomics-users
Yes, I'd like to revamp the issue and series displays, in particular, entirely for mycomics.  Some of that work may be of interest in updating the UI of the new site, but I'm not going to try to satisfy both use cases.  You should still be able to toggle the UI whenever pages correlate, but I don't think we need to preserve the almost-identical views.  That was a way to get it up and running quickly.

thanks,
-henry
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mycomics-users+unsubscribe@comics.org.

Mike Nielsen

Dec 31, 2019, 6:35:54 PM12/31/19
to mycomic...@comics.org
Oh I like that very much Steven.  That might be more than Henry was planning on biting off on this project, but I agree with you, when I'm using MyComics all that other stuff doesn't matter.

I need to see a cover, if I have it or not, if I have it what shape is it in.  Do I have most of this series?  (That will sometimes influence if I am interested in something, if I have most of the series I'm likely to buy the one or two left to finish the set).

Mike Nielsen

Henry Andrews

Dec 31, 2019, 6:42:16 PM12/31/19
to mycomics-users
I'm not likely to start with that- I think the search/add/edit workflow is more urgent.  But I do want to do it.

cheers,
-henry
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mycomics-users+unsubscribe@comics.org.

Mike Nielsen

Dec 31, 2019, 6:53:14 PM12/31/19
to mycomic...@comics.org
I was thinking about the search as I was entering stuff.  I love the everything search on the GCD.  Mycomics... not so much.  When entering stuff, my searches are limited to really series or issues, all that other stuff is irrelevant.

But I don't know how much of that is specific to me.  I can work with the current search, but it isn't  optimal.

Mike

Henry Andrews

Dec 31, 2019, 7:10:42 PM12/31/19
to mycomics-users
From what I've heard so far, we really want a search that by default returns issues, and returns them with both identifying information and at least basic collection status, and allows selection for bulk operations (typically add, but maybe move, remove, bulk edit of collection fields, etc.)

We should probably think a bit about when it's better to find issues vs series.  To some degree, I look for series on mycomics because the bulk add from the series page is nicer than the bulk add from the search results.  If that experience were the same, maybe we would settle on primarily searching for issues?

Definitely interested in opinions.

thanks,
-henry
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mycomics-users+unsubscribe@comics.org.

Mike Nielsen

Dec 31, 2019, 7:19:50 PM12/31/19
to mycomic...@comics.org
I may be a minority but I find Bulk Add useless.

I want to enter grade and what I paid (at a minimum) for each issue as I add it.  Bulk Add just makes that more complicated for me.

And I know there is no way to program this, but how I use it is as follows.  If it is a series with a lot of issues, say Action Comics, then I search for a specific issue.  If it is a series that will return a ton of results if I search for it, like Green Lantern, then I search for issue (as it will eliminate all the minis and trades and whatnot).  But if it is a series that will only return a few hits, I search for the series and then pick from the grid.  Why?  Mainly because I like to look at the grid to get a feel for how my collection lines up.  Do I have a significant run, missing a few issues?  Then I might be motivated to search them out.  (This is why the variant thing is such an annoyance to me).

It would be helpful if I could have some setting that would show me only US titles/issues that would be helpful.  When I search for Green Lantern, I don't need to see all the stuff from other countries, that comes into play almost never.  And honestly, if the list could be sorted by year that would be helpful in quickly finding the series I need.

Mike Nielsen

Henry Andrews

Dec 31, 2019, 8:20:11 PM12/31/19
to mycomics-users
I should start writing proposals down somewhere.  A per-user default country/language filter and per-user default sorting is one of the first things on my list.  I love that we're international.  I dislike slogging through everyone else's publications :P
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mycomics-users+unsubscribe@comics.org.

Katie Delia

Jan 1, 2020, 10:18:44 PM1/1/20
to mycomics-users
I used the bulk add when setting my collection up at the beginning.  I didn't have the information on things like price paid on my old issues, so bulk add made sense.  I don't use it now that I only add my new stuff.

Katie----:>