CRDDS June Newsletter

Kim Popetz

May 30, 2023, 5:16:22 PM5/30/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF, rctra...@googlegroups.com

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

CRDDS scales back our offerings quite a bit during the summer months, but we’re still here if you need us! Don’t hesitate to send us an email at cr...@colorado.edu if you have a question.

June 8th Community Event- Take a Tour of Alpine!

Join CU Boulder Research Computing and numerous leaders from on- and off-campus on June 8th to celebrate the collaboration with the University of Colorado Boulder to support multidisciplinary discoveries and the university community to help advance research productivity and conduct world-renowned research.  Alpine provides cutting-edge hardware that enhances traditional High Performance Computing workloads, enables Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning workloads, and provides user-friendly access through tools such as Open OnDemand.

Register today to join us for the event on June 8th. We will celebrate the partnership between CU Boulder and CU Anschutz and allow the community to enjoy a 20-minute tour, including snacks, an introduction to Research Computing, and a tour of the supercomputer container. The opportunity is open to the public and free of charge, and CU Boulder Research Computing staff will be on-site to answer questions. Chancellor Phil DiStefano, Chancellor Don Elliman and others will offer remarks at 11:30 am, followed by timed tours of the supercomputer container.

Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

  • Consultation hours are available on a limited basis during the summer months on Tuesdays, 12:00-1:00 pm via Zoom only. Please note that we do not offer statistical support.
  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link for online consultations on Tuesdays. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

Best wishes,

Center for Research Data & Digital Scholarship

Kim Popetz (she/her)

Event & Outreach Coordinator

Center for Research Data & Digital Scholarship

University Libraries

University of Colorado-Boulder

https://www.colorado.edu/crdds

Kim Popetz

Kim Popetz

Jun 26, 2023, 4:53:30 PM6/26/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, rctra...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

With that in mind, we would love to get your feedback as a regular subscriber to this newsletter. We want to know what topics you would like to see covered in future events.  Always looking for more insight to Python? Want more help with geospatial projects? This is your chance to let us know. It will only take a moment—our survey asks three questions. You can find it here: https://forms.office.com/r/KWVx5wh8s8 Thank you!

Kim Popetz

Jul 10, 2023, 4:51:46 PM7/10/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

With that in mind, we would love to get your feedback as a regular subscriber to this newsletter. We want to know what topics you would like to see covered in future events.  Always looking for more insight to Python? Want more help with geospatial projects? This is your chance to let us know! It will only take a moment—our survey asks three questions. Thank you! You can find it here: https://forms.office.com/r/KWVx5wh8s8

Kim Popetz

Jul 24, 2023, 4:44:58 PM7/24/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, rctra...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

We’re gearing up for the fall semester! Keep an eye on this space for new offerings in Python, GIS, Zotero, Git, and much, much more.

ACCESS

We’re excited to announce that we’ll be one of the satellite locations for the ACCESS HPC Monthly Workshop: Machine Learning and BIG DATA.

This is a two-day event, July 31-August 1, 9am-3pm MT each day. The event will be in-person, hosted by various satellite sites. There will not be a direct to desktop option for this event. We’ll focus on topics including big data analytics and machine learning with Spark, and deep learning using Tensorflow.

For details and registration information check out the CRDDS Events page.

  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

Kim Popetz

Aug 7, 2023, 4:29:50 PM8/7/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

We’re gearing up for the fall semester! Keep an eye on this space for new offerings in Python, GIS, Zotero, Git, and much, much more.

Kim Popetz

Aug 14, 2023, 5:45:54 PM8/14/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

  • Consultation hours are available on a limited basis during the summer months on Tuesdays, 12:00-1:00 pm via Zoom only. Please note that we do not offer statistical support.
  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

From our Friends

NCAR-CISL: On August 9, the new Derecho supercomputer officially opened to NCAR’s broader HPC user community. While Cheyenne will remain in service through December 31, all current NCAR HPC users are encouraged to migrate their workflows from Cheyenne to Derecho now rather than later. (Note that Casper users will not be impacted by this transition).

For more information and to sign up visit the
NCAR-CISL Advanced Research Computing page.

Kim Popetz

Aug 21, 2023, 5:11:30 PM8/21/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.  Welcome back to campus!

Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

  • Consultation hours are available on a limited basis during the summer months on Tuesdays, 12:00-1:00 pm via Zoom only. Please note that we do not offer statistical support.
  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

On September 5th Consultation Hours will revert to twice a week—Tuesday & Thursday.

CRDDS Fall Open House

We’d love to see you to answer your questions about CRDDS, the services we offer, and the different types of support we can provide. While we’d appreciate your registration so that we know you’re coming, feel free to drop in without one. We hope to see you there!

Tuesday, September 5 from 10-11 am

At Norlin Library, Room E206

Light refreshments will be served

Kim Popetz

Aug 28, 2023, 5:29:34 PM8/28/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, rctra...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.  Welcome back to campus! We have a great line up of free workshops in September to help you manage your data. Hopefully, you’ll find something worthwhile in the events list below.

CRDDS Fall Open House

We’d love to see you to answer your questions about CRDDS, the services we offer, and the different types of support we can provide. While we’d appreciate your registration so that we know you’re coming, feel free to drop in without one. We hope to see you there!

Tuesday, September 5 from 10-11 am

Norlin Library, Room E206

Light refreshments will be served.

Do You Need Python in Your Life?

Sign up for our six-part series! It includes an overview of the Python programming language as needed for data science using variables, data structures, loops, conditional statements (old and new), and object-oriented methods (functions and classes). With this foundation we will explore open data, how to obtain it, how to explore, change, manipulate and visual it. This series is for people new to Python as well as seasoned veterans looking for the newer/better methods of using Python for data science. Sign up for each session in the series individually on our events page.

September Events

·       9/05 – CRDDS Fall Open House

·       9/06 – Publish, not Perish: Demystifying the Submission and Review Process

·         9/06 – Alpine New User Seminar

·         9/07 – Alpine in Your Browser! The Open OnDemand Gateway

·         9/12 – Supercomputing Spin-up, Part 1: Working with Linux

·         9/13 – Supercomputing Spin-up, Part 2: Job Scheduling

·         9/19 – Introduction to Data Transfer on CU Research Computing Resources

·         9/19 – Historical Database Construction with Dr. Anne Ruderman, London School of Economics

·         9/19 – Fundamentals of Python for Data Science: Week 1

·         9/20 – Publish, not Perish: Knowing Your Rights as an Academic Author

·         9/20 – Introduction to Git & GitHub

·         9/26 – Accessing and Installing Research Applications on CURC Systems

·         9/26 – Fundamentals of Python for Data Science: Week 2

·         9/28 – Zotero for Research Management

Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

  • Consultation hours are available on a limited basis during the summer months on Tuesdays, 12:00-1:00 pm via Zoom only. Please note that we do not offer statistical support.
  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.
  • On September 5th Consultation Hours will revert to twice a week—Tuesday & Thursday.

Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

Kim Popetz

Sep 5, 2023, 5:10:44 PM9/5/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.  We hope that you’ve settled into the new semester. How can we help?

Do You Need Python in Your Life?

Sign up for our six-part series! It includes an overview of the Python programming language as needed for data science using variables, data structures, loops, conditional statements (old and new), and object-oriented methods (functions and classes). With this foundation we will explore open data, how to obtain it, how to explore, change, manipulate and visual it. This series is for people new to Python as well as seasoned veterans looking for the newer/better methods of using Python for data science. Sign up for each session in the series individually on our events page.

September Events

Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

  • Consultation hours are available Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin E206 or via Zoom, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. via Zoom only.
  • Statistical support is back for the 2023/24 academic year!

Kim Popetz

Sep 11, 2023, 5:39:08 PM9/11/23
to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

A Talk with Dr. Anne Ruderman

Looking ahead to next week, please join Dr. Ruderman on September 19 as she shares two databases that she constructed based on archival material related to the Atlantic slave trade. She’ll walk you through the principles of database construction and discuss the challenges of working with data that doesn’t look like traditional data. More information on her workshop, “Workshop: Historical Database Construction” can be found here.

Data Advocacy for All Speaking Series

As a cross-campus partnership, we’re pleased to be a part of this series. The first talk is titled, “Teaching Cultural Analysis of Datasets” with Lindsay Poirier. An assistant professor of statistical and data sciences at Smith College and a cultural anthropologist of data advocacy, governance, and infrastructure, Poirier interlaces methods in cultural analysis and exploratory data analysis to critically examine how meaning gets made from data—by whom, for whom, under what conditions and toward what ends. Join us on September 21 at 12:30 pm. For more information and to receive the zoom link, visit the events page.

Do You Need Python in Your Life?

Sign up for our six-part series! It includes an overview of the Python programming language as needed for data science using variables, data structures, loops, conditional statements (old and new), and object-oriented methods (functions and classes). With this foundation we will explore open data, how to obtain it, how to explore, change, manipulate and visual it. This series is for people new to Python as well as seasoned veterans looking for the newer/better methods of using Python for data science. Sign up for each session in the series individually on our events page.

September Events

  • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). You can also receive statistical support directly from LISA via their online collaboration form.
  • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.

    Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

    Kim Popetz

    Sep 18, 2023, 4:58:12 PM9/18/23
    to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

    The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

    A Talk with Dr. Anne Ruderman on Tuesday, Sept. 19

    Please join Dr. Ruderman as she shares two databases that she constructed based on archival material related to the Atlantic slave trade. She’ll walk you through the principles of database construction and discuss the challenges of working with data that doesn’t look like traditional data. More information on her workshop, “Workshop: Historical Database Construction” can be found here.

    Data Advocacy for All Speaking Series

    As a cross-campus partnership, we’re pleased to be a part of this series. The first talk is titled, “Teaching Cultural Analysis of Datasets” with Lindsay Poirier. An assistant professor of statistical and data sciences at Smith College and a cultural anthropologist of data advocacy, governance, and infrastructure, Poirier interlaces methods in cultural analysis and exploratory data analysis to critically examine how meaning gets made from data—by whom, for whom, under what conditions and toward what ends. Join us on Thursday, September 21 at 12:30 pm. For more information and to receive the zoom link, visit the events page.

    September Events

    • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). You can also receive statistical support directly from LISA via their online collaboration form.
    • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.

      Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

      Kim Popetz

      Sep 25, 2023, 5:28:53 PM9/25/23
      to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, rctra...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

      The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU.

      Legal Issues in Computational Research Using Text and Data Mining on Thursday, October 12

      Join Rachel Brooke, Senior Staff Attorney for the Authors Alliance for a workshop exploring the computational research techniques Computational research techniques such as text and data mining (TDM). These hold tremendous opportunities for researchers across the disciplines, ranging from mining scientific articles to creating better systematic reviews to building a corpus of films to understand how concepts of gender, race, and identity are shared over time. Unfortunately, legal uncertainty associated with text and data mining can stifle this research. Recent copyright lawsuits, such as the high-profile cases brought against Microsoft, Github, and StabiltyAI underscore the legal complications.

      This interactive, in-person workshop will take place from 1pm-2pm, followed by a Q&A session from 2pm-2:30pm. A choice of boxed lunch will be served to participants. Register today!

      Open Access Week!

      Advancing Community Over Commercialization in Research & Scholarship

      Tuesday October 24, 2023 2-3:30pm MST

       A panel of scholars representing both local and global perspectives will engage in a lively conversation about the importance of community control of knowledge sharing systems, and the costs of entrenching publicly funded research activities in profit-seeking business models.

      The panel consists of:

      • Dr. Janneke Adema, associate professor, Research Centre in Postdigital Cultures at Coventry University
      • Dr. Élika Ortega, assistant professor, Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Colorado Boulder.
      • Dr. Danny Kingsley, visiting fellow, Australian National University
      • Dr. Ayesha Khan, clinical microbiology fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

      For more information and to receive the zoom link, visit the events page.

      Open Access Week 2023 is an opportunity to join together, take action, and raise awareness around community-led infrastructure and publishing. This year’s theme, Community Over Commercialization, encourages a candid conversation about which approaches to open scholarship prioritize the best interests of the public and the academic community—and which do not.

      Save the Date- Research Computing and CRDDS Year 2 Review--An Event for the Ages
      Join us on Thursday October 26th at 11 am in Norlin E206 or on Zoom. We will present a review of Year 2 of the RC 2.0 plan, which will include updates on activities in both Research Computing and CRDDS. Register today to save your spot!

      Remaining September Events

      • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). You can also receive statistical support directly from LISA via their online collaboration form.
      • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.

        Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

        Kim Popetz

        Oct 2, 2023, 4:05:51 PM10/2/23
        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all at CU. We hope that you’ve settled in and are enjoying this prolonged summer. That said, it is the season of all things pumpkin spice and Halloween is just around the corner, so you might consider joining us to Exorcise Your Haunted Data with Python on the spookiest day of the year.

        Did you know that it’s Cybersecurity Awareness Month at CU Boulder?

        Per Erika Kleinova in OIT, Cybersecurity Awareness Month (CSAM) is part of a global effort to recognize the importance of security in the digital space every October. For CSAM’s 20th anniversary, CU Boulder is joining the overall CU system in getting back to security basics, with an emphasis on security best practices that we should be doing all year long, for every device - work, school, or personal.

        The week of October 16-20, CU system will be hosting three webinars for a week of talks and panels discussing work in the security space, ways to secure your university research (hosted by CU Boulder!) and a security roundtable on the state of security for individuals with security leadership from each CU institution. You can learn more about these webinars and how to sign up at the CSAM website.

        Legal Issues in Computational Research Using Text and Data Mining on Thursday, October 12

        Join Rachel Brooke, Senior Staff Attorney for the Authors Alliance, for a workshop exploring the computational research techniques such as text and data mining (TDM). These hold tremendous opportunities for researchers across the disciplines, ranging from mining scientific articles to creating better systematic reviews to building a corpus of films to understand how concepts of gender, race, and identity are shared over time. Unfortunately, legal uncertainty associated with text and data mining can stifle this research. Recent copyright lawsuits, such as the high-profile cases brought against Microsoft, Github, and StabiltyAI underscore the legal complications.

[...]

        October Events

        Becky Yeager

        Oct 9, 2023, 4:56:52 PM10/9/23
        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

        Fall is here! Did you know that calling this time of year “fall” is a very American thing to do? While “fall” is technically newer, dating to Elizabethan times, most English-speaking countries use the older “autumn”. Whatever you choose to call it, enjoy the season, and join us for these exciting opportunities!

        CRDDS Joins DARIAH as a cooperating partner
        CRDDS has joined the Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities (DARIAH) as a cooperating partner. Through this partnership CU Boulder researchers now have access to an international organization that supports the digital humanities through funding opportunities access to high-quality learning materials, an open marketplace with tools and resources and more.

        Read more about DARIAH and this exciting partnership!

        Cybersecurity Awareness Month

        The week of October 16-20, the CU system will be hosting three webinars for a week of talks and panels discussing work in the security space, ways to secure your university research (hosted by CU Boulder!) and a security roundtable on the state of security for individuals with security leadership from each CU institution. You can learn more about these webinars and how to sign up at the CSAM website.

        Legal Issues in Computational Research Using Text and Data Mining

        Join Rachel Brooke, Senior Staff Attorney for the Authors Alliance, for a workshop exploring the computational research techniques such as text and data mining (TDM). These hold tremendous opportunities for researchers across the disciplines, ranging from mining scientific articles to creating better systematic reviews to building a corpus of films to understand how concepts of gender, race, and identity are shared over time. Unfortunately, legal uncertainty associated with text and data mining can stifle this research. Recent copyright lawsuits, such as the high-profile cases brought against Microsoft, Github, and StabiltyAI underscore the legal complications.

        This interactive, hybrid workshop will take place Thursday, October 12th from 1pm-2pm, followed by a Q&A session from 2pm-2:30pm. A choice of a free boxed lunch will be served to in-person participants. Register today!

        This event is supported by University Libraries, CRDDS, the Samuelson-Glushko Technology Law & Policy Clinic (TLPC), and the Center for Teaching & Learning.

[...]

        Exorcising Your Haunted Data with Python

        In this Halloween themed Python data processing workshop, we will look at data that has need of some supernatural investigation to banish the demons hidden in data and purge the darkness so it can step into the light and show its transformed and true nature. We will be using Python to grave rob data and then cast some bewitched Pandas spells mixed with a dash of Plotly to divine its new nature. No bloodletting needed! Join us on October 31 at 1:15 pm, if you dare….

        October Events

        ·         10/10 – Fundamentals of Python for Data Science: Week 4

        ·         10/12 – Legal Issues in Computational Research Using Text and Data Mining

        ·         10/17 – Fundamentals of Python for Data Science: Week 5

        ·         10/24 – Fundamentals of Python for Data Science: Week 6

        ·         10/24 – Advancing Community-Led Open Infrastructure: Open Access Week Panel Discussion

        ·         10/26 – Research Computing and CRDDS Year 2 Review—An Event for the Ages

        ·         10/31 – Exorcising Your Haunted Data with Python

[...]

        .

        Becky Yeager

        Oct 16, 2023, 5:00:53 PM10/16/23
        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

        Save the date for an Intercampus GIS Day!
        Join us on Friday November 3rd 10 am- 3 pm in Norlin N210 (remote link will also be available) for a full day of hybrid GIS events centered around Historical GIS! The UC Campuses and Auraria Library have come together to create an amazing schedule! Some sessions to note include:

        Keynote

        Henry Lovejoy, Associate Professor, Department of History, University of Colorado Boulder

        Showcase

        Jeff Meyer, OpenHistoricalMap

        There will also be an online geospatial project gallery where you, or your students and colleagues, can share your work!

        Register today to join us!

[...]

        Becky Yeager

        Oct 23, 2023, 5:23:49 PM10/23/23
[...]

        Join us on Thursday October 26th at 11 am in Norlin E410 or on Zoom. We will present a review of Year 2 of the RC 2.0 plan, which will include updates on activities in both Research Computing and CRDDS. Register today to save your spot!

        Exorcising Your Haunted Data with Python

        In this Halloween themed Python data processing workshop, we will look at data that has need of some supernatural investigation to banish the demons hidden in data and purge the darkness so it can step into the light and show its transformed and true nature. We will be using Python to grave rob data and then cast some bewitched Pandas spells mixed with a dash of Plotly to divine its new nature. No bloodletting needed! Join us on October 31 at 1:15 pm, if you dare….

        Introduction to Research Data Management Workshop
        Join us on Wednesday November 1st at 1 pm to learn about Research Data Management. Confused about what counts as research data? Wondering why research data management is important? Unsure about what a Data Management Plan is? (And if you even have to make one?) Learn the answers to these questions (and more!) in this session that will introduce data management concepts such as documentation, data storage, backups, versioning, and preservation. Register today to join us on the 1st!

        RESILIENCE: International Research Infrastructure for Religious Studies

        The Center for Research Data & Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) is pleased host a talk by Prof. Herman Selderhuis, “Smart Tools, FAIR Data and Easy Access: RESILIENCE as unique research infrastructure for religious studies”. The talk will take place Friday, 3 November 2023, 10-11am, online and in Norlin Library E206 (CRDDS) on the CU Boulder campus. Light refreshments will be provided. For more information or to register please visit our events page.

        October and November Events

        Kim Popetz

        Oct 31, 2023, 12:02:02 PM10/31/23
        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, rctra...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu

        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. Happy Halloween!

        Exorcising Your Haunted Data with Python--Today

        Don’t miss your chance to join our Halloween themed Python data processing workshop, we will look at data that has need of some supernatural investigation to banish the demons hidden in data and purge the darkness so it can step into the light and show its transformed and true nature. We will be using Python to grave rob data and then cast some bewitched Pandas spells mixed with a dash of Plotly to divine its new nature. No bloodletting needed! Join us on October 31 at 1:15 pm, if you dare….

        Intercampus GIS Day!
        Join us on Friday, November 3rd 10 am- 3 pm in Norlin E206 (remote link will also be available) for a full day of hybrid GIS events centered around Historical GIS! The UC Campuses and Auraria Library have come together to create an amazing schedule! Some sessions to note include:

[...]

        The Center for Research Data & Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) is pleased host a talk by Prof. Herman Selderhuis, “Smart Tools, FAIR Data and Easy Access: RESILIENCE as unique research infrastructure for religious studies”. The talk will take place Friday, 3 November 2023, 10-11am, online and in Norlin Library N210B (please note room change) on the CU Boulder campus. Light refreshments will be provided. For more information or to register please visit our events page.

        October and November Events

        ·         10/31 – Exorcising Your Haunted Data with Python

        ·         11/1   –  Introduction to Research Data Management

        ·         11/3    GIS Day

        Kim Popetz

        Nov 6, 2023, 4:35:33 PM11/6/23
        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. Happy Halloween!

        November Events

        • ***Consultation Hours will be remote only November 14 & 16
        • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). You can also receive statistical support directly from LISA via their online collaboration form.
        • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
        • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

          From our Friends
          University of Colorado Boulder

          Recording the Anthropocene: Intro to Field Recording and Spatial Audio

          This is a two-part workshop:

          Part 1 is happening on Friday, November 10th from 4:00-7:00pm.

          Part 2 is happening on Sunday, November 12th from 2:00-4:00pm
          Recording the Anthropocene is a workshop designed for artists and researchers interested in recording a changing world through site-specific audio recording. This workshop will include an introduction to B2's 360-degree audio capabilities through a group collaboration. Participants should expect to learn a handful of field recording techniques as well as being exposed to different microphones used in the practice of field recording
          .

          For CU Boulder affiliates only:

          Join the Research & Innovation Office for a discussion about the Research & Innovation Seed Grant Program

          Designed to catalyze new areas of research, scholarship and creative work, the Seed Grant Program awards nearly $1 million annually to Boulder faculty across all disciplines. At this event, RIO will convene a panel of previous Seed Grant recipients; attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and hear from previous grantees about their experience securing a Research & Innovation Seed Grant. For more information about the program, including eligibility, see the Research & Innovation Seed Grant Program webpage: https://www.colorado.edu/researchinnovation/fundingawards/innovative-seed-grant-program

          Kim Popetz

          Nov 13, 2023, 5:57:49 PM11/13/23
          to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

          The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. Fall break is next week, so no Consultation Hours and no newsletter. We hope you have the chance to enjoy some time off!

          November Events

          • *Consultation Hours will be remote only this week for HPC; there will be no Consultation Hours the week of Fall Break, November 20-24
          • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). You can also receive statistical support directly from LISA via their online collaboration form.
          • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
          • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

            From our Friends

            For CU Boulder affiliates only:

            Join the Research & Innovation Office for a discussion about the Research & Innovation Seed Grant Program

            Designed to catalyze new areas of research, scholarship and creative work, the Seed Grant Program awards nearly $1 million annually to Boulder faculty across all disciplines. At this event, RIO will convene a panel of previous Seed Grant recipients; attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and hear from previous grantees about their experience securing a Research & Innovation Seed Grant. For more information about the program, including eligibility, see the Research & Innovation Seed Grant Program webpage: https://www.colorado.edu/researchinnovation/fundingawards/innovative-seed-grant-program

            *Please note that this program was originally going to take place tomorrow (11/14) but has been moved to 12/4 from 12-1pm.

            Kim Popetz

            Nov 27, 2023, 5:36:32 PM11/27/23
            to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

            The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

            November/December Events

            ·         12/4 – Data Management Plan Workshop; NEW NIH Requirements, NSF, NEH, etc.

            Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

            • The last day for Consultation Hours this semester will be December 14th!
            • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). You can also receive statistical support directly from LISA via their online collaboration form.
            • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
            • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

              From Our Friends

              Software Carpentry Workshop

              The UW Libraries' Digital Scholarship Center will be offering Software Carpentries for Reproducible Research at the end of the month for 4 days (Nov. 28 to Dec. 1). Software Carpentry aims to help researchers get their work done in less time and with less pain by teaching them basic research computing skills. This hands-on workshop will cover basic concepts and tools, including program design, version control, data management, and task automation. Participants will be encouraged to help one another and to apply what they have learned to their own research problems. This is an online/hybrid training offered via Zoom with in-person support in Laramie, but there is no requirement to attend in person. Registration is free and first come first served. Details here. Contact: Please email jhem...@uwyo.edu for more information.

              For CU Boulder affiliates only:

              Join the Research & Innovation Office for a discussion about the Research & Innovation Seed Grant Program

              Designed to catalyze new areas of research, scholarship and creative work, the Seed Grant Program awards nearly $1 million annually to Boulder faculty across all disciplines. At this event, RIO will convene a panel of previous Seed Grant recipients; attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and hear from previous grantees about their experience securing a Research & Innovation Seed Grant. For more information about the program, including eligibility, see the Research & Innovation Seed Grant Program webpage: https://www.colorado.edu/researchinnovation/fundingawards/innovative-seed-grant-program

              *Please note that this program has been moved to 12/4 from 12-1pm.

              Kim Popetz

              Dec 4, 2023, 5:33:09 PM12/4/23
              to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

              The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. The end of this semester is just around the corner so keep your eyes peeled for information about upcoming workshops from CRDDS that will be offered in January!

              Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                • The last day for Consultation Hours this semester will be December 14th!
                • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                  From Our Friends

                  Student Perspectives on AI—Tuesday,  December 5, 12:30-1:30 pm

                  With moderator Jacie Moriyama (Arts & Sciences Support of Education Through Technology) and a Student Panel

                  Whether you’re embracing AI or reeling from it, have you also considered how your students feel about AI in the classroom? In this session, hear from CU Boulder students from across diverse disciplines as they share their perspectives on AI and learning. You'll have the opportunity to ask the students questions and engage with them in a small group setting. Leave the session with new insights on the student experience and feel invigorated to shape a positive learning environment for learners in the age of AI. No registration necessary for this virtual event. Follow the event link to join the stream.

                  2024 Fall Information Science Showcase—Wednesday, December 13, 1:30-3 pm

                  Join INFO undergrad and grad students as they present new and up & coming work! Pizza and light refreshments will be served. Where: CU Student Recreation Center; Large Ice Overlook; 1855 Pleasant St, Boulder

                  Kim Popetz

                  Dec 11, 2023, 5:11:49 PM12/11/23
                  to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                  The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. We’ll have an early Monthly Newsletter next week with our January offerings that you won’t want to miss.

                  Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                  • The last day for Consultation Hours this semester will be this Thursday, December 14th! Consultation Hours will return on January 23, 2024.
                  • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                  • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                    Research Data Camp

                    Join the Center for Research Data & Digital Scholarship and our friends from CSU on January 9-11, 2024, 10 am-5 pm each day, for our Research Data Camp. As data-based research becomes a common practice, skills in data management, data analysis, and computational thinking are increasingly important for applied researchers. The Camp will provide a gentle introduction to data and programming-related research tools that will increase their access to cutting-edge methods as they pursue their programs and research. Topics covered include reproducible research and data management; tools for collaboration and sharing (using GitHub and GitHub Pages); data analysis and visualization fundamentals in Python and R; and an overview of interdisciplinary data practices and ethics. No previous experience in coding or programming is required.

                    Space is extremely limited for this free program--register today!

                    From Our Friends

                    2024 Fall Information Science Showcase—Wednesday, December 13, 1:30-3 pm

                    Join INFO undergrad and grad students as they present new and up & coming work! Pizza and light refreshments will be served. Where: CU Student Recreation Center; Large Ice Overlook; 1855 Pleasant St, Boulder

                    Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

                    Happy Holidays!

                    Kim Popetz

                    Dec 18, 2023, 6:29:09 PM12/18/23
                    to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                    The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. CRDDS will be closed next week. We’ll have an early Monthly Newsletter later on this week with our January offerings that you won’t want to miss. Happy holidays!

                    Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                    • There are NO Consultation Hours this week! Consultation Hours will return on January 23, 2024.
                    • CRDDS is once again providing support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                    • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                    • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                      Our newsletter is THE place to find the latest information on our programs. If you know of anyone who would benefit from the services that CRDDS offers, please feel free to share this email with them.

                      Kim Popetz

                      Dec 21, 2023, 5:12:48 PM12/21/23
                      to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF, rctra...@googlegroups.com

                      The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all. We hope to see you in the new year!

                      Programming in R

                      In January we’ll launch our 5-part series that will teach you the fundamentals of programming in the R language for statistical computing. We’ll start with beginner concepts and build on them through subsequent sessions using special topics based on the registrants’ interests and needs as assessed in the first session on January 23rd. This is an in-person offering so space is limited to 24 people. Register today!

                      Qualitative Data Analysis Tools

                      This in-person short course isn’t happening until February, but space is extremely limited, so we don’t want you to miss out. We’ll offer an overview of tools used across the qualitative data research lifecycle and throughout the process for various approaches such as oral histories, interviews and focus groups, or surveys. Topics will include data collection through the lens of planned analysis, open-source and paid tools, and visualization for data reporting. No previous experience with programming or research methods is required. Join us on February 8, 15, and 22nd at 10 am.

                      January Events

                      ·         1/9-11 – Research Data Camp—full but waitlist is open

                      ·         1/23 – Zotero for Research Management (A Quick Byte)

                      ·         1/23 – Getting an Account (An RC Quick Byte)

                      ·         1/23 – Introduction to Programming: The R Language (Short Course)

                      ·         1/24 – Publish, not Perish: De-mystifying the Submission and Peer Review Process

                      ·         1/25 – Alpine New Users Seminar (An RC Primer)

                      ·         1/30 – Supercomputing Spin Up: Part 1—Working with Linux (An RC Short Course)

                      ·         1/30 – Introduction to Programming: The R Language (2nd session in series)

                      ·         BONUS! 2/1 – Supercomputing Spin Up: Part 2—Job Submission (An RC Short Course)

                      Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                      • Consultation Hours are done for 2023.  Consultation Hours will return on January 23, 2024.
                      • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                      • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                      • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                        From Our Friends

                        Registration is open for the 2024 Earth System Data Science (ESDS) Annual Event January 18 & 19, 2024!

                        The event will include tutorials on Python, Git, Conda, JupyterHub, Xarray, Dask, and interactive visualization of unstructured grids with UXarray. There will also be an invited speaker and breakout groups for collaborative work and discussions on topics of interest to attendees. Please visit the
                        event website for more information and to register by January 5, 2024. The event is open to all.

                        Save the date(s)!

                        A circle of colorful dots

Description automatically generated

                        Happy Holidays!

                        Kim Popetz

                        Kim Popetz

                        Jan 16, 2024, 5:06:39 PMJan 16
                        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

                        Introduction to Programming: The R Language (Short Course)

                        In this new short course students will learn the fundamentals of programming in the R language for statistical computing. After installing R, we will begin with beginner programming concepts: data types, built-in operators, conditional statements, looping and mapping, functions, debugging, and reading documentation. Then, we will explore the tidyverse and ggplot2 libraries in application to data import, cleaning, wrangling, and visualization. Students will implement linear models and several flavors of ANOVA. Join us on Tuesdays beginning January 23rd at 1:30 pm.

                        Kim Popetz

                        Jan 22, 2024, 5:02:24 PMJan 22
                        to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                        The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

                        Qualitative Data Analysis Tools

                        This in-person short course isn’t happening until February, but space is extremely limited, so we don’t want you to miss out. We’ll offer an overview of tools used across the qualitative data research lifecycle and throughout the process for various approaches such as oral histories, interviews and focus groups, or surveys. Topics will include data collection through the lens of planned analysis, open-source and paid tools, and visualization for data reporting. No previous experience with programming or research methods is required. Join us on February 8, 15, and 22nd at 10 am—four seats remaining!

                        Data Visualization Challenge!

                        We're kicking off Love Data Week early with our Buffalization Data Visualization challenge! You’re invited to show off your data visualization and storytelling skills. Create a data visualization of our CU Buffs football team dataset using your preferred software or tools. You can even hand make or draw a visualization. Love Data Week will take place February 12-16 this year with entries due on February 14th and prizes awarded February 16th. For details, dataset, and submission form visit the Love Data Week webpage. This is a great challenge for students in data research classes. We can’t wait to see what you create!

                        • Consultation Hours will return this week on January 23, 2024.
                        • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                        • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                        • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                          From Our Friends

                          The United Nations Dag Hammarskjöld Library would like to invite you to a virtual panel discussion, “A Right to Read without being Read: Data Collection and the Scholarly Record,” scheduled for Thursday, 25 January from 9.30 a.m. – 11.00a.m. ET.

                          The right to privacy is a fundamental human right recognized in article 12 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 17 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and other international and regional human rights instruments. But what does privacy look like in the digital age?

                          This online event will convene expert panelists to discuss data privacy concerns of those who engage with the scholarly publishing ecosystem, whether they are researchers, editors, reviewers, or readers from across the globe. Please consult the event page for more information, including a list of speakers. Click to Register

                          Cheers!

                          Kim Popetz

                          Jan 29, 2024, 5:28:31 PMJan 29
                          to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, rctra...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

                          The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all.

                          Data Visualization Challenge!

                          We're kicking off Love Data Week early with our Buffalization Data Visualization challenge! You’re invited to show off your data visualization and storytelling skills. Create a data visualization of our CU Buffs football team dataset using your preferred software or tools. You can even hand make or draw a visualization. Love Data Week will take place February 12-16 this year with entries due on February 14th and prizes awarded February 16th. For details, dataset, and submission form visit the Love Data Week webpage. This is a great challenge for students in data research classes. We can’t wait to see what you create! (All are welcome to participate but prizes will only be awarded locally or to those who join us for the awards presentation on 2/16 at the Meet-up.)

                          Remaining January Events

                          ·         1/30 – Supercomputing Spin Up: Part 1—Working with Linux (An RC Short Course)

                          ·         1/30 – Introduction to Programming: The R Language (2nd session in series)

                          February Events

                          ·         2/1 – Supercomputing Spin Up: Part 2—Job Submission (An RC Short Course)

                          ·         2/5 – Increase Your Priority with Alpine Allocations (an RC Quick Byte)

                          ·         2/6 – Alpine in Your Browser with Open OnDemand

                          ·         2/6 - Introduction to Programming: The R Language (3rd session in series)

                          ·         2/7 – Dissertations and Theses: Common Copyright, Fair Use, and Publication Questions

                          ·         2/7 – Introduction to the Commercial Cloud (an RC Primer)

                          ·         2/7 – Introduction to Git and GitHub (an RC Primer)

                          ·         2/8 – Qualitative Data Analysis Tools

                          ·         2/13 – Installing Software on Alpine with Conda and Mamba (an RC Primer)

                          ·         2/13 - Introduction to Programming: The R Language (4th session in series)

                          ·         2/14 – MapLemon—Representing Diverse Identities in Data (Love Data Week main event!)

                          ·         2/15 – Qualitative Data Analysis Tools (2nd in series)

                          ·         2/16 – Love Data Week Lightning Talks & Meet-up

                          ·         2/19 – Data Transfer with Globus (an RC Quick Byte)

                          ·         2/20 – Installing Software on Alpine with Spack (an RC Primer)

                          ·         2/20 - Introduction to Programming: The R Language (final session in series)

                          ·         2/22 - Qualitative Data Analysis Tools (3rd in series)

                          ·         2/27 – Installing Containerized Software on Alpine (an RC Primer)

                          ·         2/28 – Research Computing Focused Immersion Session (an RC Short Course with AWS)

                          Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                          • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                          • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                          • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                          From Our Friends

                          In collaboration with the Graybill Statistics and Data Science Laboratory, CSU Libraries is happy to announce we’ve opened registration to a series of free workshops covering Python (online) and R (in-person), happening over lunch on Tuesdays starting in February. These workshops are as follows:

                          Python Workshops

                          ·         Python 101: Introduction to Python, Feb 6th, from 12pm-1:30 (online) Register here

                          ·         Python 102: Working with Data, Feb 13th, from 12pm-1:30 (online) Register here

                          ·         Python 201: Data Visualization, Feb 20th, from 12pm-1:30 (online) Register here

                          ·         Python: Shareable Jupyter Notebooks with GitHub, Feb 27th, from 12pm-1:30 (online) Register here

                          R Workshops

                          ·         R Basics, March 19th, from 12pm-1:30 (in-person) Register here

                          ·         Tidy Data in R, March 26th, from 12pm-1:30 (in-person) Register here

                          ·         Data Visualization using ggplot2, April 2nd, from 12pm-1:30 (in-person) Register here

                          ·         Version Control using Git and RStudio, April 9th, from 12pm-1:30 (in-person) Register here

                          Please note: separate registration is required for each workshop.

                          Kim Popetz

                          Feb 5, 2024, 4:41:21 PMFeb 5
                          to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                          The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted.

                          This Week at CRDDS

                          It’s a busy week in data here in Boulder. We’re starting off by helping you work with the Alpine supercomputer through your browser using Open OnDemand. This software will help you run graphical applications, transfer data, and submit jobs with ease. If you’re one of the lucky few in our Intro to Programming with R, welcome to week 3! For those working their way through the (often daunting) dissertation or thesis process, we’ll answer your questions about copyrights, fair use, and publications on Wednesday 2/7. Actually, Wednesday is big all around since we’re also offering two RC Primers—the first will cover the basics of major commercial cloud services Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure, while the second will demystify the world of version control by introducing you to Git and GitHub. Finally, there are two (just 2!) spots remaining in the short course on Qualitative Data Analysis Tools that begins this week in partnership with the folks from Interdisciplinary Training in the Social Sciences.

                          Love Data Week is almost here!

                          Join us on Wednesday, February 14 for our Love Data Week (LDW) keynote address by Teddy Manning on MapLemon, a project that collects and studies linguistic variation among North American English speakers. It is most well-known for its inclusion of transgender and nonbinary identities in data collection and its groundbreaking discoveries about the possibility of a transgender accent. This talk will be held virtually via Zoom.

                          Don’t forget our Buffalization Data Visualization challenge! You’re invited to show off your data visualization and storytelling skills. Create a data visualization of our CU Buffs football team dataset using your preferred software or tools. You can even hand make or draw a visualization. Entries are due on February 14th with prizes awarded February 16th. For details, dataset, and submission form visit the Love Data Week webpage. This is a great challenge for students in data research classes. We can’t wait to see what you create! (All are welcome to participate but prizes will only be awarded locally or to those who join us for the awards presentation on 2/16 at the Meet-up.)

                          Remaining February Events

                          ·         2/6 – Alpine in Your Browser with Open OnDemand (an RC Primer)

[...]

                          Kim Popetz

                          Feb 12, 2024, 5:30:40 PMFeb 12
                          to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                          The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Due to the fire that took place in Norlin any in-person workshops and consultation hours from Tuesday through Thursday have been moved online. Check your email for zoom information or send us a note at cr...@colorado.edu.

                          This Week at CRDDS

                          It’s Love Data Week! We’re celebrating all things data and we have a host of events and activities to help you get involved!

                          You can learn how to install software to handle all of your data on our high performance supercomputer, Alpine if you join on Tuesday, February 13th. We hope that you can join us this Wednesday, February 14th for our Love Data Week (LDW) keynote address by Teddy Manning on MapLemon, a project that collects and studies linguistic variation among North American English speakers. This talk will be held virtually via Zoom. Entries for our Buffalization Data Visualization challenge are also due on February 14th with prizes awarded February 16th. For details, dataset, and submission form visit the Love Data Week webpage.

                          We’ll wrap up LDW with Lightning Talks where we’ll delve into the realms of data equity and inclusion, disciplinary communities, and the power of data in creating a more just world. We invite you to present 4-minute rapid-fire presentations around this theme to highlight your data and to offer diverse perspectives on the impact of data in our lives, especially the importance of inclusivity, collaboration, and ethical practices. Signup for a slot here: https://forms.gle/csJhpfCC843o8WRS6. Lightning Talks will take place on Friday, February 16 in Norlin, E206 at 1pm followed by a meet-up with speakers and attendees AND the announcement of our Data Buffalization Contest winners plus awards and snacks. Register to attend here.

                          Remaining February Events

[...]

                          • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. via Zoom. Due to fire remediation, all consultations will take place via Zoom.
                          • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                          Kim Popetz

                          Feb 19, 2024, 12:00:25 PMFeb 19
                          to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                          The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Due to the fire that took place in Norlin any in-person workshops and consultation hours from Tuesday through Thursday have been moved online or to a different space. Check your email for zoom information or send us a note at cr...@colorado.edu if you have any questions.

                          Remaining February Events

[...]

                          Celebrate!

                          The Buffalization Data Visualization contest winners have been chosen! Please help us congratulate the winners and applaud the efforts of all contestants. Links to the winning entries will be posted later this week on the Love Data Week webpage.

                          Undergraduate 1st place: David Deckerman

                          Undergraduate 2nd place: Benjamin Herlinger

                          Graduate 1st place: Shelby Andersen

                          Graduate 2nd place: Niranjan Cholendiran

                          Kim Popetz

                          Feb 26, 2024, 5:35:53 PMFeb 26
                          to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, rctra...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

                          The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Norlin has fully reopened and CRDDS once again has use of our the E206 classroom. If you have any questions regarding where workshops are taking place this week, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

                          Open Education Week, March 4-8

                          Join us in this annual celebration for those working in Open Education to share their achievements in making educational assets available to all and learn about what others are achieving around the world. Here at CU-Boulder we’ll be convening a panel of educators on March 4th who have made their classroom resources open and freely available for students. This virtual discussion will take place from 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. Registration required.

                          Remaining February Events

                          ·         2/29 – Qualitative Data Analysis Tools

                          March Events

                          ·         3/4 – Experiences Adopting, Adapting, and Creating Open Education Resources (OER)

                          ·         3/4 – Data & (Creative Commons) Licenses--virtual

                          ·         3/5 – Installing Software on Alpine (an RC Tech Lab)

                          ·         3/6 – Data & (Creative Commons) Licenses—in-person

                          ·         3/13 – Git & GitHub in-depth (Short Course)

                          ·         3/14 – Maximizing Efficiency Using Parallelization (an RC Quick Byte)

                          ·         3/18 – Research Data Management Planning--virtual

                          ·         3/19 - Incredibly Easy Parallelization: High Throughput Computing (an RC Primer)

                          ·         3/20 – Research Data Management Planning—in-person

                          ·         3/21 – Command Line Data Transfer on CURC Resources (an RC Primer)

                          Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                            • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                            • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                            • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                              Cheers!

                              Kim Popetz

                              Mar 4, 2024, 12:00:11 PMMar 4
                              to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                              The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Norlin has fully reopened and CRDDS once again has use of our the E206 classroom. If you have any questions regarding where workshops are taking place this week, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

                              We’re Hiring!

                              CRDDS is hiring a student for remote, part-time work assisting the Institutional Repository Manager in adding research articles to CU Scholar. For more information and to apply, visit the job announcement page.

                              Open Education Week, March 4-8

                              Join us in this annual celebration for those working in Open Education to share their achievements in making educational assets available to all and learn about what others are achieving around the world. Here at CU-Boulder we’ll be convening a panel of educators on March 4th who have made their classroom resources open and freely available for students. This virtual discussion will take place from 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. Registration required.

                              Love Data Week Contest Winners

                              Data visualization is all about making data accessible and digestible for others. The winners of our 2024 Buffalization Data Visualization contest did exactly that. We’re happy to share with you their winning entries.

                              • Undergraduate 1st place: David Deckerman
                              • Undergraduate 2nd place: Benjamin Herlinger
                              • Graduate 1st place: Shelby Andersen
                              • Graduate 2nd place: Niranjan Cholendiran

                              We’d like to thank everyone who entered the contest and everyone who encouraged their friends or students to join. Thank you for showing some data love!

[...]

                              From Our Friends

                              Save the dates! Join our friends at Constellate on April 9th and 10th at 10am each day to learn about text mining and using the Constellate Dataset Builder. Keep an eye on https://constellate.org/ as the dates approach for more details and registration information.

                              Kim Popetz

                              Mar 12, 2024, 9:59:44 AMMar 12
                              to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                              The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Norlin has fully reopened and CRDDS once again has use of our the E206 classroom. If you have any questions regarding where workshops are taking place this week, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

                              Buffalization Data Visualization MeetUp

                              Join the Center for Research Data & Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) in celebrating the winners of our Love Data Week "Buffalization Data Visualization Challenge." We'll hand off the prizes and discuss data visualization over snacks and tea/coffee. We hope to see you there, Tuesday, March 12, 1pm in Norlin E206!

                              March Events

                              ·         3/12 – Buffalization Data Visualization MeetUp

[...]

                              From Our Friends

                              Save the dates! Join our friends at Constellate on April 8th and 9th at 10am each day to learn about text mining and using the Constellate Dataset Builder. Keep an eye on https://constellate.org/ as the dates approach for more details. You can register here.

                              Kim Popetz

                              Mar 18, 2024, 5:13:13 PMMar 18
                              to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                              The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Norlin has fully reopened and CRDDS once again has use of our the E206 classroom. If you have any questions regarding where workshops are taking place this week, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

                              March Events

                              • Consultation Hours will not take place during spring break, March 25-29.
                              • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                              • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                              • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                                NEW DATE! Maximizing Efficiency Using Parallelization (an RC Quick Byte)

                                If you signed up for this Quick Byte, or you didn’t because the original date didn’t work out for you, you should know that we’ve rescheduled due to last week’s snow closure. The session will now take place on April 18th from 12:30-1 pm. Registration has reopened.

                                From Our Friends

                                Job Announcement

                                Senior Research Data Support Analyst

                                Yale School of the Environment - Research

                                86863BR

                                University Job Title: Senior Research Data Support Analyst

                                Join the Yale School of the Environment (YSE) and use your data and computational skills to help tackle important environmental and sustainability challenges, including climate change, biodiversity loss, and the energy transition. More Information and application instructions.

                                Save the dates

                                Kim Popetz

                                Mar 25, 2024, 2:01:54 PMMar 25
                                to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

                                The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. We hope that you’re getting some relaxing in this week. We’ll see you again after spring break!

                                April Events

                                ·         4/2 – Getting an Account (RC Quick Byte)

                                ·         4/3 – AWS Machine learning Immersion Day (an RC Workshop with AWS

                                ·         4/4 – Research Lifecycle Toolkit Quick Byte: Getting Started with Your Research at CU Boulder

                                ·         4/4 – Alpine New Users Seminar (an RC Primer)

                                ·         4/8 – Wrangling Your Unruly Data with OpenRefine (virtual)

                                ·         4/9 – Supercomputing Spin Up: Part 1—Working with Linux (an RC Short Course)

                                ·         4/10 – Research Lifecycle Toolkit Quick Byte: Publishing and Sharing Your Research

                                ·         4/10 – Wrangling Your Unruly Data with OpenRefine (in-person)

                                ·         4/11 – Supercomputing Spin Up: Part 2—Job Submission (an RC Short Course)

                                ·         4/17 – Research Lifecycle Toolkit Quick Byte: Telling Your Research Impact Story

                                ·         4/18 – Maximizing Efficiency Using Parallelization (an RC Quick Byte)

                                Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                                • Consultation Hours will not take place during spring break, March 25-29.
                                • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                                • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                                • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                                From Our Friends

                                Registration is now open for the 2024 RMACC HPC Symposium
                                We invite the CU Boulder campus to join RMACC (Rocky Mountain Advanced Computing Consortium) at the Wolf Law School May 21-23rd for our annual HPC Symposium. Register for the conference today!! Our program and registration information can be found at
                                https://hpcsymposium.rmacc.org/

                                RMACC offers the opportunity for the community to gather to exchange ideas, build connections, and spark the next generation of computing and data problem solvers.

                                Students are also encouraged to participate in our Student Poster Competition where they can win an all-expenses paid trip to a national HPC conference.

                                 We hope to see you there!

                                Kim Popetz

                                Apr 1, 2024, 5:03:21 PMApr 1
                                to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                                The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted.

                                Getting Started with Your Research at CU Boulder

                                Join us for the first of three Research Lifecycle Toolkit Quick Bytes this Thursday, April 4 when the Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) and the Research & Innovation Office (RIO) will highlight a wide array of campus resources to support you on your research journey. These 30-minute presentations will provide essential information about the various stages of your research journey.

                                • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                                • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                                • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                                  From Our Friends

                                  Save the dates

                                  Join us with our friends at Constellate on April 8th and 9th at 10am each day to learn about text mining and using the Constellate Dataset Builder. Visit https://constellate.org/ for more details. You can register here.

                                  Kim Popetz

                                  Shelley Knuth

                                  Apr 11, 2024, 10:57:19 AMApr 11
                                  to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                                  The NSF Funded ACCESS Support is pleased to present an opportunity for you, your team, or your institution to host a FREE full-day or multi-day workshop for research computing workforce development! Workshop sessions can include both technical (e.g. cybersecurity best practices, cluster management, new software tools in AI/ML) and non-technical /soft skills sessions (e.g. DEIA, crucial conversations, resume skills). The workshop must take place between August 1, 2024, and November 15, 2024. The call for workshops will close on May 15, 2024. You will be informed by June 1 of our decisions.

                                  Awardees can use their award to support space, food, AV, travel and/or registration for up to 30 participants. If you cannot host, the University of Colorado, Boulder would be happy to host the workshop (please note this in your application).

                                  Requirements:

                                  Travel awards must be part of a competitive process.

                                  Attendees must complete a travel application for your workshop.

                                  Workshop hosts must provide and contribute all materials created and used (slides, documentation, event materials) to the ACCESS knowledge base (CI Links, Ask.CI).

                                  Travel awardees must provide a short description of how the event impacted them professionally.

                                  Application Questions (Apply here):

                                   What do you propose to host and how do you propose to do it (examples: tutorials, speakers, code documentation, panels)?

                                  What are the milestones for your suggested workshop? (e.g. timeline of completing hosting requirements, when applications open/close, dates of workshop, place of workshop.)

                                  What are your goals for success with the workshop? (e.g. a certain number or type of participants, participants walking away with a specific set of knowledge, more researchers running on access resources, etc....)

                                  How will this impact researchers and the broader community?

                                  What criteria will you use while reviewing travel award applications?

                                  Will you charge a registration fee? What will this fee be used for?

                                  Please submit a copy of your workshop schedule.

                                  Please submit a sample budget (room cost, AV, snacks/meals).

                                  Questions? Please email alana.r...@colorado.edu. We are excited to see your submission!

                                  Shelley L. Knuth, PhD

                                  Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research Computing

                                  University of Colorado Boulder

                                  597 UCB

                                  Boulder, CO 80309

                                  (303) 735-3886

                                  (she/her/hers)

                                  Kim Popetz

                                  Apr 15, 2024, 4:59:27 PMApr 15
                                  to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                                  The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted.

                                  April Events

                                  Kim Popetz

                                  Apr 23, 2024, 12:01:22 PMApr 23
                                  to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                                  The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted.

                                  And that’s a wrap for spring workshops and trainings! Consultation hours will continue through May 2nd before being suspended for the summer months. At that time, the newsletter will shift to every other week. We’ll still be here to answer questions if you need us though. You can always reach us at cr...@colorado.edu.

                                  Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                                  • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                                  • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                                  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                                  From Our Friends

                                  Registration is open for the 2024 RMACC HPC Symposium

                                  We invite the CU Boulder campus to join RMACC (Rocky Mountain Advanced Computing Consortium) at the Wolf Law School May 21-23rd for our annual HPC Symposium.

                                  Register for the conference today!! Our program and registration information can be found at https://hpcsymposium.rmacc.org/

                                  Kim Popetz

                                  Apr 29, 2024, 5:19:27 PMApr 29
                                  to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu, rmacc...@googlegroups.com, LIB-SG-ALL-FACSTAFF

                                  The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Starting in May, the newsletter will only arrive in your inbox every other week.

                                  Congratulations to all the graduates. We hope everyone has a fantastic summer!

                                  Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                                  • This is the last week for Consultation Hours this semester! While we don’t have regular hours during the summer, we are around to help if you send us an email.
                                  • CRDDS provides support for statistical questions through our partnership with the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA).
                                  • Consultations take place on Tuesdays from 12-1 p.m. in-person at Norlin Library, room E206 or via Zoom for all questions, and Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. in E206 or via Zoom for statistical help from LISA, and via Zoom only for all other help.
                                  • Registration is required to receive the Zoom link. If you are unable to attend our consultation hours and would like to set up a call, email cr...@colorado.edu.

                                    Summer Events

                                    Save the date for a week focusing on the Foundation of HPC, August 12-16 AND Data Camp, August 21-23. We’ll share details here soon.

                                    From Our Friends

                                    Three Weeks until the 2024 RMACC HPC Symposium!

                                    We invite the CU Boulder campus to join RMACC (Rocky Mountain Advanced Computing Consortium) at the Wolf Law School May 21-23rd for our annual HPC Symposium.

                                    We are excited to welcome our 2024 Keynote speakers, Al Anderson of Salish Kootenai College whose keynote is titled “Cultivating Minds, Connecting Communities: Cyberinfrastructure at Tribal Colleges” and Dr. Kayla Sprenger of University of Colorado Boulder who will be speaking about “Leveraging High-Performance Computing for Advancing Molecular Understanding of Infectious and Neurological Diseases”

                                    Check out the rest of this year’s schedule at https://hpcsymposium.rmacc.org/schedule

                                    RMACC offers the opportunity for the community to gather to exchange ideas, build connections, and spark the next generation of computing and data problem solvers.

                                    Students are also encouraged to participate in our Student Poster Competition where they can win an all-expenses paid trip to a national HPC conference.

                                    Register for the conference today!! Our program and registration information can be found at https://hpcsymposium.rmacc.org/ We hope to see you there!

                                    Kim Popetz

                                    May 13, 2024, 5:16:14 PMMay 13
                                    to curc-...@colorado.edu, crdds...@colorado.edu

                                    The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Starting in May, the newsletter will only arrive in your inbox every other week for the summer months.

                                    • Consultation Hours are suspended for the summer. If you need help, please contact cr...@colorado.edu.

                                    Summer Events

                                    Save the date for a week focusing on the Foundation of HPC, August 12-16 AND Data Camp, August 21-23. We’ll share details here soon.

                                    From Our Friends

                                    The 2024 RMACC HPC Symposium takes place next week!

                                    We invite the CU Boulder campus to join RMACC (Rocky Mountain Advanced Computing Consortium) at the Wolf Law School May 21-23rd for our annual HPC Symposium.

                                    Kim Popetz

                                    May 20, 2024, 4:34:32 PMMay 20
                                    to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                                    The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. Starting in May, the newsletter will only arrive in your inbox every other week for the summer months.

                                    Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                                    • Regular Consultation Hours are suspended for the summer. If you need help, please contact cr...@colorado.edu.

                                    From Our Friends

                                    The Office of Advanced Cyberinfrastructure (OAC) is hosting the National AI Research Resource (NAIRR) Pilot Partner Showcase on Tuesday, May 21st, 2:00-4:00PM Eastern. This public webinar invites researchers and educators to learn about the specific resources now available for use as part of the NAIRR Pilot.

                                    The NAIRR was envisioned as a widely accessible AI research cyberinfrastructure that brings together computational resources, data, testbeds, algorithms, software, services, networks, and expertise. NSF – along with a dozen federal agency partners and 25+ private sector contributors – has launched a NAIRR Pilot, which is demonstrating the value and impact of the NAIRR concept. As part of this pilot, AI resources from both public and private sectors are available to researchers and educators across the nation. In this webinar, a set of lightning talks will be held describing supercomputing, cloud computing, model access, educational, and other services that are now available.

                                    Register in advance to join the conversation and to learn about the NAIRR Pilot resources available that can support your research community!

                                    Registration for the 2024 Pythia Cook-off closes May 26!!!

                                    This U.S. National Science Foundation funded hackathon for Cookbook development will see participants develop their Python coding, communication, collaboration, and educational development skills while growing the collection of Pythia Cookbooks for the open source, open science community to benefit from. Join us online via Zoom or in-person at the NCAR Mesa Lab in Boulder, CO June 11-14, 2024.

                                    This event will benefit students, researchers, developers, and professionals across a variety of coding skill levels, and Project Pythia encourages anyone interested in online learning resources in open geoscientific computing, even as users or non-code contributors, to visit ProjectPythia.org/pythia-cookoff-2024/ for further information and registration! Consider registering to lead a small breakout group of excited participants to gather around similar new ideas or pre-existing content.

                                    If you have any questions, please reach out to projec...@ucar.edu.

                                    Introduction to Dryad Webinar
                                    Wednesday, May 29 10am PDT / 1pm EDT / 5pm UTC
                                    Dryad (https://datadryad.org) is an open data publishing platform and community committed to the open sharing and routine reuse of research data. Dryad accepts data in any field and any format and helps researchers comply with funder and publisher data sharing guidelines. In this session, you'll learn when (and why) Dryad is a good choice for your data, how Dryad helps you comply with funder policies, what to do to prepare your data for sharing, how to submit to Dryad and what happens along the way, how Dryad helps extend the reach of your data to new audiences.

                                    Kim Popetz

                                    Kim Popetz

                                    Jun 10, 2024, 5:04:04 PMJun 10
                                    to crdds...@colorado.edu, curc-...@colorado.edu

                                    The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted.

                                    Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                                    • Regular Consultation Hours are suspended for the summer. If you need help, please contact cr...@colorado.edu.

                                    From Our Friends

                                    Text Analysis Pedagogy (TAP) Institute 2024

                                    The folks at Constellate are offering a series of courses on everything from Python to working with language models, large and small, through their TAP Institute this summer. Take a look.

                                    Kim Popetz

                                    Jun 24, 2024, 4:49:41 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
                                    to curc-...@colorado.edu, crdds...@colorado.edu, data_ma...@lists.colostate.edu

                                    The Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS) offers a full range of support and opportunities for your digital and data-intensive research and learning needs, including workshops, talks, and consultation hours, which are free and open to all unless otherwise noted. We’re taking a break this month as we gear up for August, two camps, and the return of students and consultation hours in August.

                                    Interdisciplinary Consultation Hours

                                    • Regular Consultation Hours are suspended for the summer. If you need help, please contact cr...@colorado.edu.

                                    We hope that you’re able to stay cool as we roll into a hot July.