Community Service log is now stored in CoreCompetency

Neil McCurdy

Jan 27, 2019, 9:50:11 PM1/27/19
to Lion Link
Dear Parents, Guardians and Students,

Our students are encouraged to complete 150 hours of community service during their 4 years at SET High to demonstrate their commitment to Social Responsibilty, the S in SETUP for Success.  Students who achieve this goal are honored with a red cord at graduation.  It is our hope that all graduates earn a red cord.

The State of California has a 15 hour community service requirement for graduates, so this email is relevant to all students.

To help ensure that Community Service records are not lost when students move between Advisors or when Advisors leave, we are centralizing the record keeping on CoreCompetency.

Instructions for entering Community Service Hours

You will now find a section in CoreCompetency called Scores (it will eventually keep track of much more data than Community Service hours, so that's why it is called Scores).

Click on your name and start adding your Community Service hours.  They will need to be verified by a staff member after you enter them in order for you to get credit.  Please ask your Advisor to verify your hours unless there was another staff member (me during the Robotics tournament this weekend, for example) who supervised the volunteer hours.

It is the student's responsibility to enter the hours and to request that the appropriate staff member approve them.  Do not expect them to magically appear just because you think your Advisor is taking care of you.  I will be looking at CoreCompetency to determine who has earned a red chord before graduation and to determine if you have met the minimum hours to actually graduate.  Make sure they are in there!  It might be a bit of a pain to retroactively add them in there, but going forward this should be a piece of cake.

Thanks everyone!

Dr. McCurdy

--

Neil McCurdy, Ph.D.