Open Data Portals

Showing 1-12 of 12 messages
Open Data Portals Ash Roughani 4/12/13 9:13 AM
Fellow Brigaders:

It seems a lot has been happening in the world of open data portals.  Just this week, Socrata released their Open Data Server, Community Edition.  Similarly, CKAN 2.0 beta was released in February.  There also seems to be some movement with DKAN.

We actually made a lot of progress deploying an instance of Open Data Philly, but aren't sure if that's going to continue to be actively developed.  And we also have someone who can help us deploy CFPB's portal.

Our Code for Sacramento team would like to deploy a portal in the next week.  If you were us, which option would you choose?  And why?

Any insights you all have would be awesome.  We can't seem to find much contextual information on the relative strengths/weaknesses each platform possesses.

#ash

Public Innovation
(916) 835-9607
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals Kevin Curry 4/12/13 9:18 AM
Next week I would choose CKAN because it is the most all around robust solution in terms of deployments, tech, community and track record. I trust in DKAN and Socrata ODS but they are not yet proven in the field.

Kevin Curry
Program Director
CfA Brigade
757.613.8158
GMT-5
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals James McKinney 4/12/13 9:35 AM
CKAN runs (or will be running) all of the most important open government data platforms around the world, including the US, Canada, UK and Australia. (Canada and US have announced they will use CKAN, but they don't yet, last I checked.) Socrata runs in a lot of cities, so I wouldn't say that it's "not yet proven in the field." DKAN is the only one of the three with little adoption, AFAIK.
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals Kevin Curry 4/12/13 9:37 AM
I mean specifically the open source community version of Socrata.
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals Chris Alfano 4/12/13 9:50 AM
Open Data Philly has dedicated developers that have recently started on a new round of features, I don't know enough first-hand to detail any more than that but I can confirm it's being actively developed.
Chris Alfano
Brigade Captain
Code for America / Philly
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals Andrew Hoppin 4/12/13 10:47 AM
I'm super biased because our team leads DKAN development, but I'd say
CKAN or DKAN, primarily due to sustainability considerations.

CKAN has tons of government customer traction, a thriving non-profit
organization leading core development, and some of the sharpest data
thinkers in the world behind it.

DKAN is brand new, but since it's 100% Drupal, in terms of
sustainability, enjoys the track record and depth of Drupal and the
Drupal community (100s of consulting firms, cloud hosting optimized
for Drupal, mature model on Drupal.org for Drupal Distributions and
maintenance/upgrades/roadmap of same, etc).  It is also designed to
accomplish feature and schema and API parity and interoperability with
CKAN 2.0.

You might make the choice between these two based on whether you're
more comfortable with Python (CKAN) or PHP/Drupal (DKAN), and also
whether you want to add a lot of CMS and social features to your data
portal, in which DKAN affords a lot of extensibility due to Drupal's
large contributed module universe.  And if you want to split the
difference, as some national governments are doing, lightweight
integrations (e.g.: http://data.gov.uk) of CKAN and Drupal are also
possible, as are deeper integrations in which you use the data store
component of CKAN as the data store for DKAN, but have all end-user
interaction happen through Drupal.

Best,
Andrew

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Kevin Curry <ke...@codeforamerica.org> wrote:
Re: Open Data Portals jim 4/12/13 11:08 AM
Hi Ash,

I'm somewhat biased as I've done a little consulting work this year helping NuAms get DKAN to be awesome, but I'd strongly urge you to consider it, especially if anyone on your team has any Drupal experience and/or has little python app deployment experience.

One of the reasons I'm excited about DKAN is that I had a *really* tough time getting CKAN running during my Fellowship in Santa Cruz last year.  I have a lot of respect for the OKFN team and I'm sure it's gotten somewhat easier... But for comparison's sake, I was able to get DKAN running successfully on a $3/month virtual host in about 10 minutes and I got it running on my Linode in 5 minutes.  And although there are a couple of bugs to be shaken out, it's pretty close to parity with CKAN as far as features, API, etc.

Data Wisconsin runs DKAN here if you want to compare it to some of the demos available at getdkan.com; here's a sample dataset:

Let me know if you have any questions! I'd be happy to chat specifics with you off-list.

Thanks,
Jim
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals mheadd 4/12/13 11:12 AM
Open Data Philly (powered by the Open Data Catalog project) is currently the official open data platform for the City of Philadelphia. Our committment is to ensure that it is actively mantained going forward.
Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals Ben Rousch 4/12/13 11:25 AM
FriendlyCode, the Grand Rapids Brigade, had no trouble standing up a
CKAN instance on a dedicated Ubuntu 10.04 server last month. We were
adding data sets after about 30 minutes. We haven't done much with it
yet, but it looks nice and was very easy to install. We had several
Python developers working on it, but I don't remember needing any
Python-specific knowledge.
 Ben Rousch
   bro...@gmail.com
   http://clusterbleep.net/
Re: Open Data Portals spjika 4/12/13 12:39 PM
We (mostly Eddie Tejeda) would suggest CKAN- although unlike Grand Rapids it was not a 30m deploy. Not for V1.7.

Matt Senate is building a bash process to automate the install of beta 2.0 and we will publish that- it will help hugely with deploying CKAN 2.0. We dig it, but it does have the Python limitation for any modification- from scratch, I would likely lean towards DKAN as I know more people (myself inc) who are not Python/AWS skilled but can rock a Drupal/PHP world.

Spike
openoakland

On Friday, April 12, 2013 9:13:19 AM UTC-7, Ash Roughani wrote:
Re: [cfabrigade] Re: Open Data Portals Ash Roughani 4/12/13 3:08 PM
Shazam!

Thanks all for the feedback.  I'm think we're gonna see how far we can get with our DKAN deployment for the foreseeable future.

#ash

Public Innovation
(916) 835-9607

Re: [cfabrigade] Open Data Portals Kevin Curry 4/12/13 3:42 PM
JFDI :)