Timely Request for Information | Policy ideas to enable local government climate and resiliency action

Anita Seitz

Jul 3, 2024, 6:11:01 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to in...@cc4ca.org
Good Afternoon CC4CA Members,

I know you are about to head off to a fun and eventful holiday weekend, but CC4CA has just been presented with an interesting opportunity, which has a very tight turnaround.  The Governor and Energy Office want to know if there are state statutes, and or policies, that need to be changed to maximize local governments' ability to act on climate.  Are there lingering problematic state pre-emptions, limitations to local authority, or a need for enabling fee authority that prohibits or limits our work? They would like a list by July 14th, however we will have opportunities to add to the list later.  The tight time frame is due to what I believe is their earnest desire to consider our requests for potential legislative fixes for the next session.

When CC4CA engaged in the Greenhouse Gas Roadmap 2.0, we pushed back on some state-proposed near-term actions that we felt amounted to a loss of local agency and authority.  We asked instead for a collaborative approach with the state and local governments on climate action.  This request is steaming from our feedback and was even included in the final version of the roadmap on page 80

Does your community have a wish list of climate-enabling legislation? If so please share it with us ASAP.

An example might be found in last session's failed Senate Bill 24-036 which would have added a registration fee in the 10 most populous counties for dedicated vulnerable road user transportation investments. We heard from some of our county members that they would like the ability to voluntarily assess a similar fee for similar investments, but are prohibited from that due to state law. In general, we have heard from some of our members that more funding for local governments can be used to support more climate action.

Another example may be regarding solar and net metering reform for communities served by non-investor owned utilities.  Similar to the bill that Commissioner Sonja Macy described and advocated for last year.  Providing parity with the reforms that have already occurred for investor-owned utilities on this topic, and supporting local governments' ability to go after Inflation Reduction Act funding.

A third example might be legislation clarifying and adjusting laws that support community adoption of microgrids, such as clarifying rights of way and other legal factors.

Wha

Anita Seitz
Advocacy Director
Colorado Communities for Climate Action, CC4CA