Region VIII Weekly Update

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jan 5, 2024, 3:08:41 PMJan 5
to jkef...@larimer.org
Open Enrollment | Prescription Drug Savings | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
January 5, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

Happy New Year everyone!

The holiday season is traditionally recognized as a time for reflection, peace, rest, and celebration. Our data shows us it is also a time of loneliness and can often be a stressful time for many. That is why my team and I have stayed focused on serving you! We will continue to inform the American people of the accomplishments of President Biden through the Inflation Reduction Act, capping insulin prices at $35 a month, securing free vaccines to protect each of us, delivering record rates of healthcare coverage a steadfast dedication to health equity and funding to enhance our mission and priorities.

Starting this month, under the leadership of Secretary Becerra and President Biden, the Extra Help or Low-Income Subsidy Program (which helps with drug costs for people with limited income and resources) is expanding to cover more drug costs for people with limited resources because of the Inflation Reduction Act:

o Nearly 300,000 low-income people with Medicare currently enrolled in the Extra Help program will be newly eligible for expanded benefits including no deductible, no premiums and fixed, lowered copayments for certain medications.

o An additional 3 million people could benefit from the Extra Help program now but aren’t currently enrolled.

Now, everyone who qualifies for Extra Help pays $0 in premiums, $0 in deductibles, and a reduced amount for generic and brand-name drugs.

Some people who already receive help paying for their Medicare costs are automatically enrolled in Extra Help, but that’s not true for everyone.

o Visit Social Security online at SSA.gov/extrahelp or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to see if you are eligible.

The Marketplace Open Enrollment Deadline is swiftly approaching. Make sure you’re enrolled before January 16, 2024! Marketplace Open Enrollment Consumers will need to enroll by January 16, 2024, to have healthcare coverage starting on February 1, 2024!

After January 16, 2024, consumers will only be able to enroll in or change plans if they qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. This includes consumers who recently lost (or will soon lose) Medicaid or CHIP coverage because their income is too high or other changes make them ineligible. Apply and enroll today at HealthCare.gov or CuidadoDeSalud.gov !

If you need more information before selecting the coverage right for you and your dependents, you’re in luck! CMS is hosting a series of webinars during Marketplace Open Enrollment. During each webinar, CMS will share updates, resources, and information to help consumers navigate the Marketplace Open Enrollment Period. All Champions for Coverage organizations, Navigators, Certified Application Assisters, Agents & Brokers, Partners, and other Stakeholders are welcome to attend. Please find the webinar dates and times below.

• January 10, 2024 at 1:00 PM MT

• January 31, 2024 at 1:00 PM MT

To register for these webinars, please click here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining each webinar.

To access the previous recordings and transcripts for the Marketplace webinars, please click here.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

HRSA Grants 101 Virtual Workshop in Spanish
  • HRSA’s upcoming workshop is for organizations serving Hispanic/Latino communities. It will be presented in Spanish with live English translation.

    Tuesday, January 16,

    through Thursday, January 18

    10:00am -2:30 pm MST

    This opportunity is not only for health center leaders and staff, but also for Community Health Workers, leaders and staff of public health departments, hospitals, faith and community-based organizations, community colleges, and universities. It will cover:

    • HRSA programs and funding opportunities

    • Federal grants application process

    • Tips for writing a strong application and applying for funding

    • TA resources
Register Here

Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Funding Announcement
  • The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) released a new Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) to integrate behavioral health services into primary care settings using telehealth technology. HRSA will award approximately $8.75 million to up to 25 grantees over a period of five years.

    Who is eligible?

    Eligible applicants shall be domestic public or private, non-profit, or for-profit entities that demonstrate they will provide services through a telehealth network. This includes faith-based, tribal, and community-based organizations. Please view the funding opportunity on grants.gov for complete eligibility information.

    When are applications due?

    The application is due March 22, 2024.

    Where can I find out more?

    Join the technical assistance webinar on January 17 at 1:30pm MST to learn about this funding opportunity.
View Grant Opportunity

Order More Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests Today on COVIDTests.gov
  • Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order an additional 4 free at-⁠home tests. If you did not order tests this past fall, you can place two orders for a total of 8 tests. Please encourage members of your community to order their free test kits at COVIDTests.gov or call (800)-232-0233 (help available in English, Spanish, and more than 150 other languages).
Order Tests Here

“Extra-Help” Program Expanding Lower Drug Costs for Medicare Beneficiaries Goes Live
  • As part of the Administration’s lower cost prescription drug law, the Extra Help (or Low-Income Subsidy Program) was expanded on Jan. 1 to help more people with their drug costs – like Medicare Part D premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance.

    Now, everyone who qualifies for the Extra Help Program pays $0 in premiums, $0 in deductibles, and a reduced amount for generic and brand-name drugs.

    With this program expansion, an additional 3 million people could benefit from the Extra Help program now but aren’t currently enrolled. So let’s get the word out!

    Some people qualify automatically, but if they do not, it’s easy to apply for Extra Help:

    • They can apply visit Social Security online at ssa.gov/extrahelp or call them at (800)-772-1213.

    • And visit Medicare.gov to check for eligibility.

    • Please share this CMS postcard on Extra Help with your community.
See More Here

Webinar: Lowering Drug Costs! New 2024 Inflation Reduction Act Benefits

Tues., Jan. 9, 2024, 12:00 pm MST.

Join this webinar briefing next week to learn about the implementation of the President’s new lower cost prescription drug law, the Inflation Reduction Act, including two new benefits available as of January 1st.

Please register here.
Register Here
Stay Connected with Region 8
TwitterTwitter
Stay Connected with HHS Intergovernmental and External Affairs
TwitterTwitter
YouTubeYouTube

Privacy Policy

Manage Subscriptions        Unsubscribe        Contact IEA

This email was sent by: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC, 20201 US

Was this email forwarded to you? Subscribe to IEA Communications to receive updates.

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jan 12, 2024, 11:55:41 AMJan 12
to jkef...@larimer.org
Colorado Springs Trip | HHS Funding | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
January 12, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

This week I traveled to Colorado Springs, Colorado to share some of the accomplishments President Biden is delivering to the American people at the Latino Community Luncheon. I touched on the over-the-counter access to Naloxone, the strengths of the bipartisan Safer Communities Act , and of course the Inflation Reduction Act, among other successes of the Administration. It was an honor to be back at the Latino Community Luncheon and to provide the keynote speech. Fue un gran placer estar con mis amigos en Colorado Springs, otra vez!

My team and I met with senior leadership from Peak Vista to hear about all of the lifesaving work their team is doing at their Federally Qualified Health Center. In 2023 alone, Peak Vista’s 22 locations throughout the state of Colorado had over 280,000 visits and have expanded their telehealth and teledentistry programs, all while bolstering their mobile health care services and behavioral health services. THANK YOU to all the health care providers and centers throughout our region for the incredibly impactful work you’re doing to keep our communities safe and healthy!!

Additional stakeholder engagements focused on disparities in rural health, strengthening mental health workforce and our dedication to the LGBTQIA+ community. We are in full speed here at HHS in 2024, in service to the American people. I look forward to being in Utah soon and welcome time with you in the coming months and days.
Stay warm and thank you,
The Marketplace Open Enrollment Deadline is swiftly approaching. Make sure you’re enrolled before January 16, 2024! Marketplace Open Enrollment Consumers will need to enroll by January 16, 2024, to have healthcare coverage starting on February 1, 2024!

After January 16, 2024, consumers will only be able to enroll in or change plans if they qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. This includes consumers who recently lost (or will soon lose) Medicaid or CHIP coverage because their income is too high or other changes make them ineligible. Apply and enroll today at HealthCare.gov or
CuidadoDeSalud.gov !

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jan 19, 2024, 1:40:41 PMJan 19
to jkef...@larimer.org
Spring Institute Conference | HHS Funding | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
January 19, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

The annual observance of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday is a time for us to reflect on the life and achievements of an extraordinary leader in American history. This year, U. S. Secretary Becerra joined HHS staff and families for a special day of service, volunteering at the Sasha Bruce Youth Drop-In Center in Washington, DC.

What did you do to honor Dr. King this week? Let us know by sending us a Tweet @HHSRegion8!

Dr. King devoted his life to advancing equality, social justice, and economic opportunity through service to others. He also linked the quest for equality to health care and talked about the importance of being first in moral excellence and generosity. He taught us that everyone has a role to play.

This week, we spent time with the Spring Institute for Intercultural Learning and their statewide Early Childhood Coalition focused on improving early childhood programs and services for dual language learners (DLLs) children, families, and providers. The Biden Harris Administration has prioritized addressing the maternal health crisis and, under the leadership of Secretary Becerra, we have many accomplishments to share with the American people. Gathering with the Spring Institute and community partners like their coalitions, we can learn from one another on how to enhance our work and decrease maternal morbidity, language access in healthcare, and the barriers folks are experiencing in access to care. It is in the spirit of Dr. King we approach our work and are grateful to those around the region who share his commitment to his dream.

[...]

HHS Releases Guidance to Help Prevent Homelessness for Youth Who Have Transitioned Out of Foster Care
  • The FYI program is a dedicated resource that provides rental assistance and supportive services to young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 who have left or are transitioning out of foster care, who are experiencing homelessness, or are at risk of experiencing homelessness. This important guidance, developed in partnership with HUD, will help ensure eligible young adults gain access to these resources.
Read More Here

CMS Finalizes Rule to Expand Access to Health Information and Improve the Prior Authorization Process
  • The rule sets requirements for Medicare Advantage (MA) organizations, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) fee-for-service (FFS) programs, Medicaid managed care plans, CHIP managed care entities, and issuers of Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) offered on the Federally-Facilitated Exchanges (FFEs), (collectively “impacted payers”), to improve the electronic exchange of health information and prior authorization processes for medical items and services. Together, these policies will improve prior authorization processes and reduce burden on patients, providers, and payers, resulting in approximately $15 billion of estimated savings over ten years.
See More Here

Biden-Harris Administration’s ARPA-H Launches PARADIGM Program to Improve Rural Health Outcomes
  • “Americans in rural areas deserve access to the highest quality health care.  ARPA-H is finding innovative ways to meet that challenge,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “The Biden-Harris Administration has lowered health care costs for Americans by negotiating prescription drug prices, capping the price of insulin, and bringing insurance premiums down by more than $800. We’ll continue to lower costs for all Americans at every opportunity."
Learn More Here

Towards Health Equity Black Maternal Health & Maternal Mental Health Education Program SeriesMaternal Series
  • Advancing safe pregnancies, deliveries, and postpartum experiences.

    Workshop #1:

    Thursday, January 25, 2024 | 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.

    Workshops will cover:

    - Pregnancy and Post-birth Issues

    - Women’s Issues and Maternal Adjustment

    - 1:1 Maternal Wellness Coaching Resources

    - And More!

    Event Location:

    Global Down Syndrome Foundation

    3239 East 2nd Avenue, Denver, CO 80206
Register Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jan 26, 2024, 1:27:41 PMJan 26
to jkef...@larimer.org
Director Griego's Utah Trip | HHS Webinars | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
January 26, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

We saw the fall of Roe v. Wade with the Dobbs decision. Since then, we have continued to hear how the United States is reckoning with the consequences we face at the regional, state, and local level of a woman’s right to choose. President Biden supports a woman’s right to choose - hard stop. I invited Deputy Assistant Secretary for Population Affairs, Director of Adolescent Health Jessica Swafford Marcella to join me in Region VIII, Salt Lake City, Utah. We heard from advocates, researchers, doulas, midwives, and providers about the impacts of the Dobbs decision on our workforce, access to care, and the compounded challenges in maternal health as a result of restricted abortion healthcare.

(Pictured: attendees of the Roe v. Wade commemoration roundtable co-hosted with Planned Parenthood Association of Utah).

It was of utmost importance for us to highlight that, in the words of U.S. HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra, “from day one, the Biden-Harris Administration has made clear that women should have access to the healthcare they need, including contraception and other family planning services … access to reproductive healthcare is a core priority of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.”

(Pictured: attendees of the maternal health roundtable discussion co-hosted with Voices for Utah Children).
We then headed over to Voices for Utah Children, where we heard from Utahns on the challenges they face addressing the national maternal health crisis. We provided updates on the funding and actions taken under the leadership of U. S. Secretary Becerra at HHS and reminded attendees of the accomplishments of the Biden-Harris Administration in this space, including the Maternal Health Blueprint and the Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Improve Maternal Health.
(Pictured from left to right: Dr. Elizabeth Grant, Salt Lake City School District Superintendent; Jared Wright, West High School Principal; Jeff Robinson, Vice Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Utah; DAS Jess Marcella; Regional Director Lily Griego; Ciara Davis, HHS Public Health Analyst, Director, Division of Policy & External Affairs Office of Population Affairs; Sally Abbott, HHS Regional Health Administrator; James Yapias, Executive Director Salt Lake Education Foundation).
Salt Lake City’s West High School welcomed us to their school-based health clinic where we heard about how it took public-private endeavors to provide their clinic and integrated care model to their students.
(Pictured: attendees of the Call to Action on Adolescent Health and Well Bring co-hosted with Voices for Utah Children).
DAS Marcella then hosted her inaugural “Call to Action on Adolescent Health and Well Bring” event, which was the first stop on a national tour that “aims to ensure that all adolescents in the United States have the safety, support, and resources they need to thrive, be healthy, and have equitable opportunity to realize their full potential.” As you can see, turnout was awesome, and the best part was hearing from the youth advisory council who joined us in making the Call to Action’s kickoff event a success!
(Pictured from left to right: Director Ozzy Escarate, Utah’s Office of American Indian/Alaska Native Health & Family Services; Regional Director Lily Griego).
Director Ozzy Escarate from the state of Utah’s Office of American Indian/Alaska Native Health & Family Services joined us to engage in a conversation centered on DAS Marcella’s Call to Action on Adolescent Health and Well Being as it relates to indigenous youth.
(Pictured left to right: Utah State Representative Rosemary Lesser; Ciara Davis, HHS Public Health Analyst; DAS Jessica Marcella; Utah State Representative Sandra Hollins; Regional Director Griego).
To round out the trip, we were welcomed to the Utah State Capitol Building by Representatives Lesser, Hollins, Dailey-Provost, Ward, Ballard, Judkins, Eliason, and Acton. Topics discussed together included mental health, the status of youth mental health, and sustainable models of behavioral healthcare.
(Pictured left to right: DAS Jessica Marcella; Regional Director Griego; Ciara Davis, HHS Public Health Analyst).
Thank you to everyone who made the time to meet with us during our trip to the Beehive State! It truly is such an honor to serve Utahns and all the folks who reside in Region VIII.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

LGBTQI+ Cultural Competency in the Workplace Webinar
  • Featuring:

    Janine Herring

    Senior Attorney Advisor, Office of Legal Counsel

    Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

    The LGBTQI+ Cultural Competency in the Workplace Webinar will address the use of pronouns and best practices regarding sexual orientation and gender identity.

    For further information or to request reasonable accommodation, e-mail: np...@hhs.gov.
Register Here

HHS' Food as Medicine Summit
  • On January 31, HHS will host an all-day summit on the Food is Medicine initiative, which HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra champions.

    The effort focuses on increasing access to healthy foods to promote health as a preventative and healing practice.

    Policymakers, advocates, researchers, and the public are invited to listen in to the event from 7:00am – 2:30pm MST.

    Indian Health Service (IHS) Director Roselyn Tso will participate in a panel discussion, and award-winning chef Sean Sherman will provide remarks on Indigenous foodways.

    We hope that you will join us virtually for this engaging event.
Watch Livestream Here

JOIN US TODAY in Recognizing International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2024: Honoring Holocaust Survivors
  • This Saturday, January 27, is recognized as International Holocaust Remembrance Day; a day when nations join together to promote awareness of the Holocaust and its lessons. It is a time to remember the six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust and the millions of other victims of Nazi persecution. Learning this history is critical to honoring its victims and in preventing future genocides. Join us as we honor International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Register Here

Historic 21.3 Million People Choose ACA Marketplace Coverage
  • The Biden-Harris Administration announced 21.3 million people selected an Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Marketplace plan during the 2024 Open Enrollment Period. Total plan selections include more than five million people — about a fourth — who are new to the Marketplaces and 16 million people who renewed their coverage. Notably, open enrollment continues in four states and Washington, D.C., through January 31.
See More Here

HHS Office for Civil Rights Issues Guidance to the Nation’s Hospital and Long-Term Care Facility Administrators Clarifying Their Obligations to Ensure Religious Non-Discrimination in Patient Visitation
  • “All Americans must be free practice their faith and live their lives without fear of attack or harassment. At OCR, we are taking steps to ensure that the religious needs of patients and other individuals are met when they receive care from hospitals and long-term care facilities,” said OCR Director Melanie Fontes Rainer. “These actions support the Biden-Harris Administration’s ongoing efforts to prioritize equity and nondiscrimination, and this includes guaranteeing religious accommodations for those seeking health and human services.”
Learn More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Feb 2, 2024, 1:08:42 PMFeb 2
to jkef...@larimer.org
Representative Caraveo's Roundtable | Black History Month | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
February 2, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

Things are moving quickly with much to share! I wrapped last week with an invitation to join U. S. Congresswoman Yadira Caraveo, M.D. in Weld County, CO, for a roundtable discussion on healthcare affordability.

This week we are recognizing many monumental moments! President Biden provided an update on our progress to address prescription drug prices, stating, “my vision is different. Medicare is negotiating for lower prices on drugs to treat everything from diabetes, Crohn’s disease, arthritis, heart disease, cancer, and more. Just one of these drugs alone can cost as much as $6,500 in out-of-pocket costs for seniors. Through my Inflation Reduction Act , we’re working to give seniors the best possible deal on their prescription drugs and lower health care costs. Already, we’ve cut insulin costs to $35 for seniors and people with disabilities, 15 million Americans are saving an average of $800 per year on health insurance costs, and seniors’ out of pocket drug costs will be capped at $2,000 starting next year. The days where Americans pay two to three times what they pay for prescription drugs in other countries are ending.” To read President Biden’s full statement click here.

It’s Black History Month! Let us all take time this month, and every month, to celebrate the achievements made by African Americans in our country throughout U.S. history. As a historian, I was curious to see the roots of Black History Month and I think you all may be interested in hearing what I’ve learned:

Black History Month, also known as African American History Month, can be traced back to “Negro History Week,” which was created by Carter G. Woodson, the founder of the Association of Negro Life and History (ASNLH) and creator of the Journal of Negro History, where he and other researchers highlighted the achievements of Black Americans. In 1976, on the 50th anniversary of the first Negro History Week (which was recognized for a week annually during the month of February), the pivot was made to Black History Month.
Since 1976, every U.S. Presidential Administration has officially designated February as Black History Month, starting with President Gerald Ford. This year while designating February as Black History Month, President Biden stated, “throughout our history, Black Americans have never given up on the promise of America. Unbowed by the forces of hate and undaunted as they fought for centuries against slavery, segregation, and injustice, Black Americans have held a mirror up to our Nation, allowing our country to confront hard truths about who we are and pushing us to live up to our founding ideals.”
At HHS, “we are addressing historic health inequities for Black Americans by making systemic changes to our health care systems that increase healthcare access while lowering costs. Today, more Black Americans have health insurance than at any previous time in American history. We are working to address the Black maternal health crisis — ensuring dignity, safety, and support for Black moms. The Vice President has helped elevate this critical issue to a national priority by calling on States to extend Medicaid postpartum coverage from two months to one year.”

More exciting news: yesterday, we marked two years of our Overdose Prevention Strategy by announcing bold new actions to combat overdoses. These actions include finalizing a rule that will dramatically expand access to life-saving medications for opioid use disorder, announcing that certain grant funds may now be used to purchase xylazine test strips (XTS), and releasing the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) updated Overdose Prevention and Response Toolkit . Actions announced build on President Biden’s National Drug Control Strategy and his Unity Agenda call-to-action to address the overdose epidemic and save lives.

“Drug overdoses reach every corner of our society, taking lives and causing immeasurable pain to families and communities. That’s exactly why President Biden made it a key priority of his Unity Agenda. We have made important progress, but there is still a lot of work to do. But we have the tools, evidence-based strategies, and shared commitment across our nation to take on the overdose epidemic,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra, who on Wednesday heard stories from several young people impacted by substance use illustrating the significance of these actions for people across the nation. “HHS is focused on the full range of solutions needed to address substance use. We will continue to use every lever available to tackle this and save lives. That includes a focus on prevention, as well as expanding treatment and engagement with those struggling with substance use disorder. The Biden-Harris Administration will not rest until we have beaten the overdose epidemic.” I’m proud to be leading a team that has leadership like President Biden and U. S. Secretary Becerra who have made this work a top priority!
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

Biden-Harris Administration to Make First Offer for Drug Price Negotiation Program, Launches New Resource Hub to Help People Access Lower-Cost Drugs
  • hanks to the President’s lower cost prescription drug law - the Inflation Reduction Act - Medicare now has the power to negotiate prescription drug prices directly with drug companies, similar to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and other federal agencies that already negotiate drug prices. These initial offers represent the latest major milestone in implementing this historic law.
Read More Here

A Proclamation on National Black History Month, 2024
  • Since taking office, the Vice President and I have worked to continue this legacy of progress and lay down a foundation for a stronger, more equitable Nation. On my first day as President, I signed a historic Executive Order on Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government. In February 2023, I signed an additional Executive Order to acknowledge the unbearable human costs of systemic racism and to direct the entire Federal Government to advance equity for those who have been historically underserved, marginalized, and adversely affected by persistent discrimination, poverty, and inequality, including the Black community. That includes building an economy that grows from the middle out and bottom up, not the top down. So far, we have created over 14 million jobs and in 2023, the Black unemployment rate was lower than in any other year on record.
See Proclamation Here

Interested Parties Memo: President Biden Takes On Big Pharma and Is Lowering Prescription Drug Prices
  • President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act will save millions of seniors money on some of the costliest prescription drugs on the market –and today, Medicare will send initial offers to manufacturers of the first ten drugs selected for drug price negotiation to help bring down the price of these prescription drugs. This is the first time ever that Medicare is not accepting the drug prices the pharmaceutical companies set.
Learn More Here

A Proclamation on American Heart Month, 2024
  • In 2022, we hosted the first White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health in over 50 years and released a national strategy to end hunger and reduce diet-related diseases by 2030. Our strategy includes improving food access and affordability by providing free, healthy meals to millions of students, expanding incentives for fruits and vegetables in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and expanding Medicaid and Medicare coverage to provide nutrition and obesity counseling.
Read Proclamation Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Feb 9, 2024, 2:46:41 PMFeb 9
to jkef...@larimer.org
Women's Cardiovascular Health | CMS' Visit | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
February 9, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

Advocacy and awareness surrounding women’s heart health is important since cardiovascular disease is the number 1 killer of women in the United States. Heart disease and stroke have ended the lives of too many women we know and love. There are many ways you can help save a life, both large and small, that have tangible impacts:

- Learn Hand-Only CPR: Too many people die due to inaction and fear from bystanders while having a cardiac emergency.

- Know Your Numbers: Begin to regularly monitor your blood pressure. Invite a friend or family member to join you in this to add a level of accountability!

- Make Well-Being Work for You: Be sure to carve out time throughout your day to de-compress and de-stress. Be sure to keep in mind that it’s okay to reach out to a friend or mental health provider to ensure your mental well-being stays strong.

In addition to cardiovascular diseases, women in this country are facing a maternal health crisis. “Women in our nation are dying from pregnancy-related causes before, during, and after childbirth at a higher rate than any other developed nation,” said Vice President Kamala Harris. “I directed our government agencies to come up with deliberate and tangible plans to address the maternal health crisis in this country ...  to address the maternal health crisis demonstrates our unwavering commitment to the health and well-being of all women and their families.”

To help combat this, HHS is awarding nearly $90 million through various Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) programs to expand access to maternal health care, including in areas with fewer providers; to support parents in communities with the highest rates; to grow and support the maternal health workforce; and to expand screening and treatment for maternal depression and other mental health and substance use disorders.

Expand and Diversify the Perinatal Workforce: HRSA is investing $12.5 million to expand the maternal health workforce. This includes $8 million to train and deploy more nurse midwives by supporting nurse midwifery programs at 10 universities and $4.5 million to establish the Institute for Home Visiting Workforce Development and Jackie Walorski Center for Evidence-Based Case Management to support state Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting programs as they recruit and train the workforce.

Increasing Access to Maternal Health Services: HRSA is investing over $34 million to increase access to maternity care in underserved and rural communities. This includes more than $24 million to establish maternal health task forces to implement strategies to improve maternal health service delivery; nearly $2 million to support rural communities; and more than $8 million to improve pregnancy and postpartum care by expanding access to health and social services.

Supporting Parents and Families: HRSA is investing nearly $32 million to provide support to patients and families. This includes nearly $9 million to support 12 states in training OB/GYNs, midwives and other maternal health providers in treating behavioral health; $11 million to fund new programs through Healthy Start Initiative to provide direct services to pregnant and postpartum mothers; nearly $6 million to ensure that new mothers and their families are supported during the Medicaid redetermination process associated with the end of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency and more than $5.5 million to support 28 states and jurisdictions to implement “patient safety bundles” in birthing facilities through the Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health (AIM) program.

Investing in maternal health research: HRSA is investing nearly $10 million to establish a new research network that will support minority serving institutions of higher learning to study the disparities in maternal health outcomes and identify effective methods and strategies for addressing them.
Region VIII also welcomed Dan Tsai to Denver, Colorado. I joined Dan and his team at Denver Health and Children’s Hospital to hear from their teams on several subjects that inform CMS, on how to continue HHS’ work to serve the American people.

We also want to take time to wish everyone a Happy Lunar New Year! 2024 is the year of the Dragon and out of Region VIII, Colorado is celebrating Lunar New Year as an official holiday.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

Biden-Harris Administration Announces $28 Million in Funding Opportunities for Grants Expanding Treatment Services for Substance Use Disorder
  • “The Biden-Harris Administration is providing the funding, guidance, and resources needed to address the overdose crisis in America – and we will continue to support this critical work for as long as is necessary,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “This funding emphasizes our unrelenting efforts to enhance and expand treatment and support services for people in need, including pregnant and postpartum women, wherever and whenever they need them.”
Read More Here

HHS Releases the National Public Health Strategy to Prevent and Control Vector-Borne Diseases in People
  • This VBD National Strategy represents the largest formal federal coordination effort focused on vector-borne disease prevention and control with contributions by over 50 representatives across 17 federal agencies. This collaborative effort will help

    Address the significant public health challenges related to vector-borne diseases;

    Incorporate a One Health approach to enhance coordination and communication across human, animal, and environmental areas; and

    Reverse the upward trends in illness, suffering, and death.
Learn More Here

Final Rule to Update Regulations for Older Americans Act Programs Rule strengthens the system of supports that help millions of people age in place
  • “Older Americans should be able to live independently and age with dignity,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to expanding access to health care, nutrition services, caregiving, and opportunities to age in place for all older Americans. This update to the Older Americans Act regulations strengthens the system of supports that help older people live independently and age with dignity.”
See More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Feb 16, 2024, 10:00:42 AMFeb 16
to jkef...@larimer.org
American Heart Month | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
February 16, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

February is American Heart Month, a time to recognize that while heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US, there’s a lot that we can do to promote health and protect our hearts. For many older Americans, taking a prescription drug is a vital component of preventing or treating heart disease.

• About 42 percent of Medicare enrollees ages 65 and older have at least one heart-related health condition.

• About 27 percent of enrollees have coronary heart disease and 15 percent have been diagnosed with heart failure.

For patients working to treat or prevent cardiovascular disease, prescription drugs can be expensive. Many patients with heart disease may have other chronic conditions that come with high costs, such as diabetes. That's where the President’s lower cost prescription drug law, the Inflation Reduction Act, comes in. Half of the first 10 drugs selected for negotiation under the Inflation Reduction Act’s Medicare drug price negotiation program relate directly to heart or cardiovascular disease, and are taken by millions of Medicare enrollees:

Eliquis is taken by more than 3.5 million Medicare enrollees to prevent and treat blood clots that can lead to heart attack or stroke.

Jardiance, a drug to treat heart failure and diabetes, is taken by more than 1.3 million Medicare enrollees.

Xarelto is taken by more than 1.3 million Medicare enrollees to prevent and treat blood clots that can lead to heart attack or stroke.

Farxiga, which treats heart failure as well as diabetes and chronic kidney disease, is taken by more than 630,000 Medicare enrollees.

Entresto, another heart failure treatment, is taken by more than 520,000 Medicare enrollees.
But people living with heart conditions don’t have to wait for negotiated prices to take effect in 2026 to see reduced prescription drug costs. They are getting relief right now thanks to several other parts of the law:

• For those facing high costs right now, a new benefit just went into effect in January. Beginning on January 1, 2024, for the first time ever, people enrolled in a prescription drug plan with high prescription drug costs are no longer required to pay out-of-pocket costs once they reach a certain level of spending known as the catastrophic phase of Medicare Part D.

• In 2025, out-of-pocket costs will be lowered even more, with a $2,000 annual cap on out-of-pocket costs for everyone enrolled in Medicare Part D.

• Many people with cardiovascular disease also struggle with other chronic conditions, such as diabetes. But again, thanks to the new prescription drug law, more than a million seniors and people with disabilities on Medicare with diabetes are seeing their insulin costs capped at just $35 per month.

• If you have a chronic illness, preventing other illness is essential for staying healthy. Because of the Inflation Reduction Act, people with Medicare prescription drug coverage can now get preventive vaccines for free.

President Biden, Vice President Harris, and this Administration continue to fight for affordable access to health care – ensuring prescription drugs are affordable and accessible to everyone who needs them.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

Biden-Harris Administration Partners with States to Address Homelessness
  • “Nobody in America should experience homelessness. Today we are taking important steps to help communities better access HHS’ programs to address homelessness and connect people with housing-related services and supports – which could be life changing,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “The Biden-Harris Administration has worked tirelessly to help people experiencing homelessness to provide needed services and supports that help them maintain that housing. We will continue to work on strengthening partnerships across housing, disability, aging, and health sectors and do everything we can to prevent and address homelessness.”
Read More Here

New Biden Administration Rule Removes Burdens to Support Growth of Tribal Child Support Programs
  • "The Biden-Harris Administration has worked hard to eliminate costs and barriers for Tribes. These changes will make it easier and less expensive for Tribal community-run child support programs to meet the needs of their communities," said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. "It’s part of what it means to honor Tribal sovereignty and the trust relationship between the federal government and Tribal Nations – cutting red tape and eliminating barriers for Tribes governments to serve their people. Making federal resources more accessible helps Tribal economies grow and puts vital and innovative services within reach for everyone."
Learn More Here

HHS Finalizes New Provisions to Enhance Integrated Care and Confidentiality for Patients with Substance Use Conditions
  • “The Final Rule strengthens confidentiality protections while improving care coordination for patients and providers. Patients can seek needed treatment and care for substance use disorder knowing that greater protections are in place to keep their records private, and providers can now better share information to improve patient care,” said OCR Director Melanie Fontes Rainer.

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Feb 23, 2024, 11:48:40 AMFeb 23
to jkef...@larimer.org
National Cancer Prevention Month | HHS Funding | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
February 23, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

February is National Cancer Prevention Month. It is estimated that roughly 2 million Americans were diagnosed with cancer in 2023, not counting those diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer. It’s been shown that almost 40% of cancer cases and roughly 50% of cancer-related deaths can be traced to preventable causes, including smoking, obesity, physical inactivity, and extreme exposure to the sun.

At HHS, we have created a National Cancer Plan, which “includes eight essential goals and accompanying strategies that outline what must be accomplished to prevent more cancers, reduce deaths from the disease, and improve the lives of everyone after a diagnosis with cancer. These eight goals support the ambitious, achievable goals set by the reignited Cancer Moonshot to reduce the cancer death rate by at least half within 25 years and to improve the cancer patient and family experience.”

The eight goals of the National Cancer Plan are:

• Prevent Cancer

• Detect Cancers Early

• Develop Effective Treatments

• Eliminate Inequities

• Deliver Optimal Care

• Engage Every Person

• Maximize Data Utility

• Optimize the Workforce

By working together, we can achieve President Joe Biden’s goal of reducing the cancer death rate by 50% within 25 years. Some steps you can take to protect yourself from cancer include eliminating tobacco use, eat a health diet, exercise frequently, limit alcohol consumption, and to protect your skin from UV exposure.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

HHS Announces Proposed Rule Requiring States to Collect Additional Information on American Indian/Alaska Native Youth Entering the Foster Care System or Adoption Process
  • “Every child deserves to feel safe, heard, and connected to their roots. That's why we're taking this step to ensure data on American Indian/Alaska Native children and families are collected by our child welfare systems,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “This proposed change goes beyond just collecting data. It will also move us a step closer to valuing the experiences of Native families and furthering our goals of keeping children in their homes and communities.”
Read More Here

Biden-Harris Administration Awards $5.1M in Support of LGBTQI+ Youth and Families
  • These grants are in addition to $1.7M in grant funding previously awarded in 2023 to four other recipients. All eight awardees will be engaging LGBTQI+ youth and their families to prevent risk of health conditions, including behavioral health conditions (e.g., suicidality, depression, homelessness, drug use, HIV) and promote well-being for LGBTQI+ youth by establishing family counseling and support programs and training providers on family counseling and support interventions tailored for LGBTQI+ families.
Learn More Here

CMS Issues Additional Guidance on Program to Allow People with Medicare to Pay Out-of-Pocket Prescription Drug Costs in Monthly Payments
  • “Too many seniors and people with disabilities can’t afford to fill their prescriptions at the pharmacy – and that is unacceptable. Thanks to President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, certain Medicare patients will be able to spread their costs across smaller, monthly payments,” said Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra. “In addition to adding flexibility through a payment plan, the law cuts drug costs through provisions such as caps on out-of-pocket costs and the cost of insulin, and a mandate on drug companies to pay a rebate to Medicare if they raise prices faster than inflation. We are committed to ensuring that all people – including people with Medicare – receive the care they deserve at a cost they can afford.”
See More Here

New HHS Study Finds Nearly $124 Billion Positive Fiscal Impact of Refugees and Asylees on the American Economy in a 15-Year Period
  • “This historic federal study is important data-driven evidence demonstrating that over time, refugees, asylees, and their immediate families have made significant positive fiscal contributions to our country,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “I hope this report becomes a key reference for decision-makers in all levels of government when it comes to refugee resettlement.”
View More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Feb 29, 2024, 6:37:45 PMFeb 29
to jkef...@larimer.org
Leap Day | Webinars | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
February 29, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

Happy Leap Day! Did you know that there is only a 1 in 1,461 chance of being born on Leap Day, making it the rarest birthday a person can have? Leap Day is added to the Gregorian calendar every four years to keep our seasons in sync with the earth’s rotation. In addition to keeping the Gregorian calendar on track, Leap Day also provides all of us with an extra 24 hours to focus on our health and wellness, providing us with the opportunity to leap into new healthy habits and practices.

Here are some ideas to incorporate into your life this Leap Day:

• Move your body with an activity of your choice

• Connect with those you care about most

• Ensure you’re getting the proper amount of sleep

• Prioritize your mental health

• Focus on cultivating a balanced diet

• Set realistic health goals

Let's all take advantage of the extra 24 hours we have this year and set some time aside to think about how we can incorporate healthy habits into our lives, so that the next ten months of 2024 can be as fulfilling and nurishing as possible!
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

Rural Maternal Health Series: Achieving Birthing-Friendly Status in Rural Hospitals
  • Join Rural Health Information Hub on Tuesday, March 12th at 12:00 p.m. MST for a webinar with speakers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP) discussing the new CMS Birthing-Friendly designation and how rural facilities can earn Birthing-Friendly status. First in a 4-part Rural Maternal Health Series.
Register Here

Call for Applications: 2024 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge!
  • Many health care professionals work with their patients to achieve blood pressure control. The 2024 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge will identify medical practices in the United States and its territories that have demonstrated exceptional rates of patient hypertension control.

    Health professionals and practices that have achieved patient hypertension control rates of at least 80% are eligible to enter the 2024 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge for possible recognition as a Champion. The submission deadline is April 5, 2024.
Submit Your Application Here

Biden-Harris Administration Announces New Rule to Reduce Costs for More than 100,000 Families Receiving Child Care Subsidies
  • This final rule delivers on the Executive Order on Increasing Access to High-Quality Care and Supporting Caregivers, signed by President Biden in April 2023, which directed HHS to reduce child care costs and improve child care payment practices.
Read More Here

HHS Announces a Multi-Pronged Effort to Strengthen Direct Care Workforce
  • “Today’s announcement reflects the Biden-Harris Administration’s steadfast commitment to strengthen the caregiving infrastructure and increase the availability of home and community-based services for older adults and people with disabilities,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “Like our efforts to support the development of clinicians and grow the behavioral health workforce, the Direct Care Workforce Strategies Center is an important component of our Health Workforce Initiative.”
View More Here

Biden-Harris Administration Announces New Funding to Increase Capacity for Behavioral Health Services
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), announced $36.9 million in notices of funding opportunities for grant programs supporting behavioral health services across the country. Additionally, HHS, through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), issued guidance that allows states to expand the pool of behavioral health care providers eligible for enhanced federal Medicaid funding, which will better support this critical workforce as well as improve access to care. The guidance also allows states to claim federal dollars for nurse advice lines.
Learn More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Mar 8, 2024, 10:00:45 AMMar 8
to jkef...@larimer.org
Women's History Month | State of the Union | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
March 8, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

This week I will join a women’s health panel in Denver, Colorado at the World Denver International Women’s Day celebration, to share the accomplishments of the Biden Harris Administration, under the leadership of Secretary Xavier Becerra. Everyone here at HHS shares a commitment to increasing access to care, focusing on data and research that enhances healthcare for women’s overall health and wellbeing, and of course increasing our maternal health as a nation.

I’m most proud of President Biden’s commitment to equity in our whole of government approach to serving the country. I hope you will join me in lifting up women’s history month by celebrating our achievements, our she-roes in the healthcare sector, decision and policy makers who share our cause and seek to reduce barriers along with those who advocate and cause “good trouble” to establish and maintain equity in our work.

We have more to do…and taking a moment to focus on women’s history month we should celebrate the Inflation Reduction Act, record enrollment rates, Secretary Becerra’s leadership in reproductive health and so many more accomplishments in the Biden Harris Administration.

Did you tune into the State of the Union last night? Which part of the President's address stood out to you the most? Tweet us your response at @HHSRegion8!

If you have Medicare and take insulin, we have some great news for you. Now you’ll pay $35 per month (or less) for each covered insulin drug you take, and you don’t have to pay a deductible. That means for a 90-day supply, no more than $105. This applies to everyone who takes insulin, even if you get Extra Help.

Medicare covers insulin in 2 ways:

Part D (drug coverage)

Part D covers insulin you get from your Medicare drug plan. (Note: If your Part D plan covers disposable insulin patch pumps, the pump is considered an insulin supply, and might cost more than $35.)

Part B (Medical Insurance) or Part C (Medicare Advantage)

If you use an insulin pump that’s covered under Medicare Part B’s durable medical equipment benefit, or you get your covered insulin through a Medicare Advantage Plan, your insulin costs will be capped at $35 for a one-month supply. The Part B deductible won’t apply.

If you have Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) that pays your Part B coinsurance, that plan should cover the $35 (or less) cost for insulin you get under Part B.
To learn more:

• Visit Medicare.gov/coverage/insulin.

• Visit Medicare.gov/about-us/inflation-reduction-act.

• Call 1-800-MEDICARE.

• Contact your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) at shiphelp.org to get free personalized health insurance counseling
[...]

Biden-Harris Administration Announces Launch of Nearly $50 Million Initiative to Support Opioid Treatment and Recovery Services in Rural Communities
  • “This initiative reflects our unwavering commitment to improve the health and wellbeing of all Americans,” said HHS Deputy Secretary Andrea Palm. “The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to ensuring that people have access to lifesaving care when and where they need it. HRSA’s Rural Opioid Treatment and Recovery Initiative continues to put people at the center of their care, by lowering barriers to accessing treatment and growing a workforce prepared to meet people where they are in their journey of recovery.”
Read More Here

Biden-Harris Administration Receives Counteroffers from Drug Companies as Part of Ongoing Negotiations to Lower Drug Prices
  • This news comes after HHS sent initial offers on February 1, as the agency was empowered to do by President Biden’s lower cost prescription drug law, the Inflation Reduction Act. This law is a cornerstone of the Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to lower prescription drug costs.
View More Here

HHS Statement Regarding the Cyberattack on Change Healthcare
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is aware that Change Healthcare – a unit of UnitedHealth Group (UHG) – was impacted by a cybersecurity incident in late February. HHS recognizes the impact this attack has had on health care operations across the country. HHS’ first priority is to help coordinate efforts to avoid disruptions to care throughout the health care system.

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Mar 15, 2024, 11:04:42 AMMar 15
to jkef...@larimer.org
Women's History Month | Ramadan | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
March 15, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

Last week we welcomed International Women’s Day and today we are still celebrating Women’s History Month. What a beautiful tribute to our sisters across the globe, country, and of course Region VIII!

To make the moment, you may have heard President Biden share a major announcement during his State of the Union! Dr. Jill Biden, our very own First Lady, announced $100 million in federal funding that will go towards research and development into women’s health as part of the White House Initiative on Women’s Health Research. Dr. Biden and the White House Gender Policy Council are leading this initiative.

This funding will be utilized to invest in “life-changing” work currently being undertaken by women’s health researchers who have difficulties accessing private funding and resources to conduct their research.

“We will build a health care system that puts women and their lived experiences at its center,” said Dr. Jill Biden. “Where no woman or girl has to hear that ‘it’s all in your head,’ or, ‘it’s just stress.’” Where women aren’t just an after-thought, but a first thought. Where women don’t just survive with chronic conditions but lead long and healthy lives.”

Additionally, the White House Initiative on Women’s Health Research is focused on:

• Delivering concrete recommendations to advance women’s health research. Initiative members recommend concrete actions that the Biden-Harris Administration can take to improve how research on women’s health is conducted and maximize the Administration’s investments in women’s health research, including to address health disparities and inequities.

• Taking a targeted, high-impact approach. To deliver results quickly, Initiative members have set priority areas of focus where additional investments could be transformative—in areas of research ranging from heart attacks in women to menopause.

• Engaging the scientific, private sector, and philanthropic communities. The Initiative explores new public-private partnerships and engage private and philanthropic leaders to drive innovation and ensure the combined power of public, private, and philanthropic sectors advances research on women’s health.

Last Friday I joined several wonderful women at an International Women’s Day gathering hosted by World Denver. My portion of the panel highlighted the Biden Harris administrations’ dedication to addressing our maternal health crisis, maternal mental health via the maternal mental health hotline or 988 crisis lifeline, and the value of “hearing her” …listening to women when they say they are in pain or hurting.

A photo taken during Director Griego's International Women's Day Panel hosted by World Denver.
Before I close, I send my wishes for a blessed Ramadan to those who observe. May this month be one of reflection, peace, and connection.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

New Funding for Rural Communities Opioid Response Program
  • The Rural Communities Opioid Response Program (RCORP)-Impact will improve access to treatment and recovery services for substance use disorder (SUD), including opioid use disorder (OUD).

    The program will serve people and families in rural areas affected by SUD.

    Apply Now! Applications due May 6, 2024

    Attend the technical assistance webinar for applicants on March 21, 2024, from 11 – 12:30 pm MT!.
Learn More Here

Call for Applications: 2024 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge!
  • Many health care professionals work with their patients to achieve blood pressure control. The 2024 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge will identify medical practices in the United States and its territories that have demonstrated exceptional rates of patient hypertension control.

    Health professionals and practices that have achieved patient hypertension control rates of at least 80% are eligible to enter the 2024 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge for possible recognition as a Champion. The submission deadline is April 5, 2024.
Submit Your Application Here

Readout of Biden-Harris Administration Convening with Health Care Community Concerning Cyberattack on Change Healthcare
  • Secretary Becerra and Domestic Policy Advisor Tanden made clear the government and private sector must work together to help providers make payroll and deliver timely care to the American people and that insurers help providers in this moment of challenge. Since February 21, when HHS first learned of the Change Healthcare attack, it has been in near-constant communication with countless stakeholders to understand the impact on the ground and step in to help facilitate solutions with urgency. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure also announced that guidance to states is forthcoming to provide needed flexibilities for states to support Medicaid providers and suppliers during this time.
Read More Here

Fact Sheet: The Biden-Harris Administration Urges Congress to Lower Drug Costs for Americans with Commercial Insurance
  • President Biden’s prescription drug law, the Inflation Reduction Act, was signed into law on August 16, 2022. This new law provides meaningful financial relief for millions of people with Medicare by expanding benefits, lowering drug costs, and strengthening Medicare for the future.
View More Here

HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra’s Statement on Women’s History Month
  • Throughout our country’s history, women have been at the forefront of activism, progress, innovation – and most especially, science and medicine. Time and time again, women have rallied to create opportunities, mobilized to expand rights, and fought against discrimination. Through their determination and grit, women have strengthened our national character.
Read the Statement Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Mar 22, 2024, 10:46:50 AMMar 22
to jkef...@larimer.org
Colorado Springs Day Trip | HHS Funding | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
March 22, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

This week I traveled to Colorado Springs, Colorado to engage with stakeholders from the mayor’s office, local nutrition-focused NGOs, and the city’s LGBTQ+ community.

I congratulate Mayor Yemi Mobolade and First Lady Mobolade for prioritizing the mental health of Colorado Springs. They are dedicated to leading by example and we spent time sharing resources, plans, barriers to care and shared goals in the space of address the mental health of our county. In case you missed it from an earlier newsletter here are some accomplishments led by President Biden to address strengthening our behavioral health: HHS’ Roadmap for Behavioral Health, the 988 Suicide and Crisis Hotline, the National Maternal Mental Health Hotline, and our most recent announcement via CMS on the integration model in Behavioral Health.

I then made my way to Food to Power , a Colorado Springs-based nonprofit that is focused on “reducing food waste while increasing food access.” The folks at Food to Power shared that their work fed over 100,000 individuals in 2023 alone. It was also highlighted that Food to Power interweaves cultural competency and food access into their everyday work by providing culturally competent fruit and vegetable options. I thank the team at Food to Power and everyone across the country working every day to ensure Americans have access to food and healthcare. If you haven’t joined a meeting, heard a presentation, or learned about the Biden-Harris Administration National Strategy on Hunger, Nutrition and Health, please reply and let me know!

I rounded out the day by providing updates on LGBTQ+ initiatives and health, the first ever Office of Gun Violence Prevention, and the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act under the leadership of President Biden and participating in a panel discussion with the LGBTQ+ community in Colorado Springs, which was hosted by Inside Out Youth Services (an LGBTQ+ youth serving organization based in Colorado Springs). This event was a result of our office’s ongoing work in Colorado Springs post the Club Q shooting that occurred in 2022 against the city’s LGBTQ+ community.

[...]

HHS Releases Large Scale Water Utility Affordability Survey Report as Part of the First-Ever Federal Water Assistance Program
  • As ACF prepares to celebrate World Water Day 2024 this month, the release of this report intends to fill a gap in current knowledge related to water and wastewater affordability in the United States. Additionally, the Water Utility Affordability Survey Report, as well as the LIHWAP Implementation and Impact Report , released in January, can be used to help inform grant recipients’ and stakeholders’ efforts to establish permanent water utility assistance programs at the national, state, and local level.
Read More Here

Biden-Harris Administration Launches Clean Energy Connector to Bring Nearly $15 Million in Annual Energy Savings To Up To 40,000 Low-Income Households
  • “Renewable energy is by far the cheapest form of power and now, thanks to innovative solutions developed under the Biden-Harris Administration, more households across America can access the health and savings that solar power provides,” said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. “DOE’s partnership with HHS will increase the deployment of community solar, helping thousands of families lower their energy bills and in turn reduce their energy burden, ensuring Americans across the nation are included as we transition to a clean energy economy."
View More Here

Biden-Harris Administration Announces New Initiative to Increase Investments in Person-Centered Primary Care
  • “We continue our work to improve the quality of care for people with Medicare by encouraging more primary care providers to participate in the ACO Primary Care Flex Model,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “Incentivizing greater investments in primary care will promote competition among health care providers and enable more people to receive coordinated, highquality preventive care to keep them healthy – regardless of where they live. HHS will continue building on the Affordable Care Act, which not only brought more people coverage, but allowed us to develop innovative models that foster quality care, improve outcomes, reduce costs, expand access to services, and advance health equity.”

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Mar 29, 2024, 1:06:47 PMMar 29
to jkef...@larimer.org
I-70 Corridor Trip | Easter | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
March 29, 2024
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

This week I spent time engaging elected officials in rural and sub-suburban Colorado. When I meet with Region VIII elected officials, whether mayors, county commissioners, or council members, I learn what they hear directly from constituents related to healthcare. Lessons we learned this week relate to access to care, mental health, and access to nutritious food. I’m so very grateful for everyone working daily to ensure our neighbors have access to healthcare, access to nutritious food and a community to ensure access to all social determinants of health.

In this realm, Secretary Xavier Becerra has led our team to act on developing an advanced equity plan, nutrition and wellness objectives, and the food and mood project.

Regional Director Griego with Breckenridge, Colorado’s Mayor Pro Tem Kelly Owens
During my time along the I-70 corridor, I had the honor of meeting with the Summit County Commissioners, the mayors of Breckenridge and Frisco, and the Family & Intercultural Resource Center (FIRC). All of whom selflessly work directly with families in need, Spanish speakers, and those experiencing food insecurity.

Regional Director Griego with members of the Family & Intercultural Resource Center’s team
Thank you to everyone who wakes up every day to ensure that those in the most rural corners of our country are taken care of, advocated for, and supported.

Regional Director Griego with Lakewood, Colorado’s Mayor Wendi Strom
Happy Easter everyone! I hope that all who celebrate have a peaceful, restful day with those you hold close.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

2024 FORHP Preview Webinar
  • The Federal Office of Rural Health Policy continues to shape our programs to better address rural health needs, while also maintaining proven practices. Join us for our annual Preview webinar as we walk you through our investments and activities for this fiscal year. We’ll preview anticipated funding opportunities, as well as our “hidden gems” - resources and projects that may not be well-known.

    Wednesday, April 3 at 1:00 pm MT

Register Here

[...]

Join HRSA’s Black Maternal Health Week Campaign
  • HRSA is pleased to announce the upcoming Black Maternal Health Week campaign taking place from April 11 to 17, 2024! This week presents an opportunity for us to come together and focus our spotlight on the critical issue of Black maternal health. These resources are designed to help you elevate your work, partnerships, and accomplishments. Together, let's raise awareness, drive action, and advocate for positive change in Black maternal health. Your voice matters.
Get Resources Here

HHS Takes Additional Actions to Help People Stay Covered During Medicaid and CHIP Renewals
  • “The actions we are announcing today, like those we have taken over the past year, demonstrate that HHS is committed to ensuring Medicaid and CHIP coverage for all who are eligible. We are helping those who will now qualify for Marketplace coverage obtain it,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “We encourage states to use all the strategies and resources we have provided them to carry out renewals of coverage. We will continue to monitor the renewal process and make sure federal requirements are being followed.”
View More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Apr 5, 2024, 4:30:47 PMApr 5
to jkef...@larimer.org
Secretary Becerra in Colorado | Inflation Reduction Act | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
April 5, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

It’s been a busy week for us at Region VIII Health and Human Services! Join me in reliving some of the week’s highlights:

We welcomed U.S. Department of Health and human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra back to Colorado this Wednesday. While here, Secretary Becerra joined Governor Jared Polis for a fireside chat at Tepeyac Community Health Center regarding Latino health in the Denver metropolitan area. During this event, the Secretary highlighted the Biden-Harris Administration’s work to lower prescription drug prices through the Inflation Reduction Act. Thank you to Tepeyac Community Health Center for hosting us for this important discussion!

Pictured: Colorado Governor Jared Polis and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra participating in a fireside chat at Tepeyac Community Health Center in Denver, Colorado.

Shout out to the mujeres de cafecito for joining us!
Following our event at Tepeyac Community Health Center, we made our way to Commerce City, Colorado where we joined U.S. Representative Yadira Caraveo at Kids First Health Care where we discussed how President Biden is lowering health care costs for families across Colorado and throughout the country.

Pictured: participants of the roundtable discussion at Kids First Health Care in Commerce City, Colorado.
Earlier this week, I was able to join our friends at the City of Denver’s Parks and Recreation department to share how the Biden-Harris Administration is saving seniors money on prescription drug costs and vaccines, including the $35 insulin price capping for seniors enrolled in Medicare.
Pictured: Director Griego speaking at the City of Denver’s Parks and Recreation Event.
I rounded out Women’s History Month by participating in the Colorado Black Round Table’s Conversations on Black Women’s Issues, Discussion on Blacks and the Media and A Salute to Our Sisters of the Sun event. I was honored to share President Biden and Vice President Harris’ leadership in this space, shining a light on HHS’ Black Maternal Health initiatives . While participating in the roundtable discussion with Angela Hutton Hall (Managing Broker at City Park Realty), Dr. Marjorie Lewis (President and CEO of MBLewis Enterprises), Dr. Angelic Cole (President and CEO of Colorado Black Chamber of Commerce), Michelle Quattlebaum (Board Member, Denver Public Schools), and Terita Walker (Principal of Denver’s East High School).

Pictured: Director Griego and fellow panelists at the Colorado Black Round Table.
Photo Credit: Bernard Grant
I also visited Girls, Inc. in Denver, Colorado to discuss HHS’ mental, behavioral, and physical health youth initiatives. It was moving to hear how Girls Inc. is threading health equity throughout each of their programs, all of which are aimed at providing girls with the strong start they deserve.

Pictured: Director Griego with the Girls Inc. team in Denver, Colorado.
The photo below is from a promotion ceremony I attended. Commander Elizabeth DeGrange was promoted to Captain and was surrounded by family, friends, colleagues, and high-ranking officials from the commissioned corps of the United States Public Health Service, which is the only dedicated uniformed service in the world that serves public health. Their core values are leadership, integrity, service and excellence. Often, you may not know that our HHS colleagues are working behind the scenes to conduct emergency response, research, fight disease and care for patients in underserved communities across the nation and throughout the world.

Pictured: Director Griego providing remarks at the promotion ceremony of Captain Elizabeth DeGrange.
This week is also National Public Health Week. Public health is more than just health care. It's the steps we take to make sure our neighborhoods and environment are free from pollution. It's making sure our food and water are safe to eat and drink. It's also the relationships we foster in our communities. We're all interconnected. When we all come together to support public health, all of us — individuals, families, communities, and the public health field — can achieve the goals of public health.
The Monday, April 8, 2024, total solar eclipse will cross North America, passing over Mexico, the United States, and Canada. The path of the eclipse continues from Mexico, entering the United States in Texas, and traveling through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Small parts of Tennessee and Michigan will also experience the total solar eclipse. Click here to see some tips and tricks regarding eye safety while viewing the eclipse.
Whew! It’s been an amazing few days – thanks to everyone who joined us, thanks to all working on our shared values, policy goals and dedication to healthy folks across Region VIII and the country! We adore you!
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

ENHANCING LATINA MATERNAL HEALTH - Free Learning Opportunity
  • Please join us on April 18, from 1 – 2 pm MT, for a free virtual learning opportunity, “Enhancing LatinaMaternal Health through Better Understanding of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) andother Federal Resources”.

    The one-hour session will provide a brief overview of:

    New Transforming Maternal Health Model

    Medicaid/CHIP Renewals Other Maternal Health Resources and Funding Opportunities

    This event is being hosted by the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health Region 8 Office in collaborationwith other federal agencies. This learning opportunity will provide Latino serving organizations resources tosupport the well-being of Latino families in Region 8 (CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY). The event will be hosted in bothEnglish/Spanish and simultaneous interpretation will be available.

Register Here

[...]

Apr 12, 2024, 12:42:47 PMApr 12
to jkef...@larimer.org
Black Maternal Health Week | National Minority Health Week | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
April 12, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

Black Maternal Health Week is here! Please join the Biden Harris Administration in shining a spotlight on the disparities that Black mothers face in accessing quality healthcare. Here are some social media hashtag samples to boost awareness: #BMHW #BlackMaternalHealthWeek #SupportBlackMothers

Black Maternal Health Week is a call to action. Let's come together to support and uplift Black mothers, advocate for policy changes, and work towards a future where every mother receives equitable care.
Thanks to Sister to Sister, International Network of Professional African American Women, for hosting me at their Towards Health Equity Gala, Answering Silent Cries for Help. I was honored to provide welcoming remarks on our work addressing this crisis as part of President Biden’s Unity Agenda. “HHS is taking action to improve maternal care, help new moms, and ensure their children have the healthiest start in life,” said Secretary Becerra at our most recent day of action …. “the actions we announced today further demonstrate the Biden-Harris Administration’s commitment to strengthen both maternal health and maternal mental health.”
CLLARO Fellow Abel Maestas and I met with Arvada Mayor Lauren Simpson. During this meeting, we discussed mental health initiatives we have endeavored under the leadership of Secretary Becerra, including the Roadmap for Behavioral Health and the 988 Suicide and Crisis Hotline . The U.S. Conference of Mayors notes a near 100% increase in needs for mental health resources for City leaders. I am continuing engagement with newly elected mayors to inform them of President Biden’s Unity Agenda and the key pillars to address overdose and mental health crisis in partnership with leaders across the country.
I joined Kevin Cullinan, CEO of St. Anthony’s Hospital, in Lakewood, Colorado to discussed shared priorities and hear about their equity work, which is a full-service, acute care hospital designated as a Level I Trauma Center and Comprehensive Stroke Center. I was joined by John Hannigan, Region VIII’s Regional Administrator of Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
In closing, April is National Minority Health month! This annual observance builds awareness around the health disparities that persist among racial and ethnic minority and American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) populations in our country. This month-long observance encourages everyone to take action to end these health inequities. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health (OMH) is committed to working with public health and community-based partners to Be the Source for Better Health by providing quality, equitable, and respectful care and services that are responsive to diverse cultural health beliefs and practices, preferred languages, economic and environmental circumstances, and health literacy levels. When patients are provided with culturally and linguistically appropriate information, they are better able to create healthier outcomes for themselves, their families, and their communities. Click here to learn more!
[...]

Lasting Legacies: A White House Celebration of AA & NHPI Heritage & History
  • Join us on May 13 for a community-wide Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Heritage Month celebration!
Register Here

Join HRSA’s Black Maternal Health Week Campaign
  • HRSA is pleased to announce the upcoming Black Maternal Health Week campaign taking place from April 11 to 17, 2024! This week presents an opportunity for us to come together and focus our spotlight on the critical issue of Black maternal health. These resources are designed to help you elevate your work, partnerships, and accomplishments. Together, let's raise awareness, drive action, and advocate for positive change in Black maternal health. Your voice matters.
Get Resources Here

CMS Proposes New Policies to Support Underserved Communities, Ease Drug Shortages, and Promote Patient Safety
  • “Hospitals should be a place you go into and get the care you need, regardless of whether you’re struggling to afford your rent, the color of your skin, or what else is going on in the world around you,” said U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra. “The Biden-Harris Administration is doing everything in its power to ensure hospitals have the prescription drugs and supplies they need so providers can focus on what they do best – helping our loved ones be healthy.”
Read More Here

Biden-Harris Administration Finalizes Rule Expanding Access to Care and Increasing Protections for People with Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D
  • “Competition within Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D will provide consumers with meaningful choices among plans so they can select one that best meets their individual needs. Additional consumer protections will help people make the right decisions and get the coverage they want without hassles,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “We know that increased competition is good for the marketplace. That’s why the Biden-Harris Administration continues to increase competition in health care and lower costs, helping build on steps the Administration has already taken as well as identify opportunities to further spur innovation.”
See More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Apr 19, 2024, 1:57:46 PMApr 19
to jkef...@larimer.org
Care Week 2024 | Denver-Metro Meetings | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
April 19, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

We are amplifying #CareWeek 2024 and would love for you to join us! During Care Week, April 18-25, 2024, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is recognizing the progress President Biden has made to make care more affordable for American families, support family caregivers, boost compensation and job quality for care workers, and expand care options.

Too many families and individuals struggle to access the affordable, high-quality care they need. The cost of childcare is up 26% in the last decade and more than 200 percent over the past 30 years. For older adults or people with disabilities long-term care costs are up 40% in the past decade. The result is many Americans – particularly women – stay out of the workforce to care for their families, making it hard for businesses to attract and retain a skilled workforce and for the economy to grow.

Every day, care workers dedicate themselves to ensuring the people we love are safe and secure and have the support they need to live the lives they want to live. They watch over our children, assist our parents, and support loved ones with disabilities. Their work makes all other work possible. We honor their tireless efforts and commit to ensuring they receive the pay, benefits, and recognition they deserve.
Here are some helpful links for more details on actions President Biden has taken during Care Week:
FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Announces Most Sweeping Set of Executive Actions to Improve Care in History

A Proclamation on Care Workers Recognition Month

2024 FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Highlights Substantial Progress on the President’s Care Agenda During Month of Action on Care

Speaking of #CAREWEEK and those we honor who are entering health professions; earlier this week I was elated to join Metropolitan State University in Denver, DUHOP program, housed at the Gina and Frank Day Health Institute. I left very inspired to see so many people excited about their futures and making a positive difference in healthcare.
I'd like to extend my gratitude to Chanda Hinton, founder and Executive Director of The Chanda Center for Health for hosting us for a conversation and a tour. The Chanda Center for Health strives to deliver, advocate & educate for integrative therapy and other complementary services to reduce health disparities and costs by improving health equity and outcomes for individuals with physical disabilities through the support of donors, grants, special events and community partners. Thank you, Chanda and team!
Abel joined me on the road in Wheat Ridge, Colorado for our ongoing Mayor’s tour! Thanks to Mayor Bud Starker and my dear friend Allison Scheck, Deputy City Manager, for their dedication to serving their community and making every investment in mental health and well-being through ARPA funding and community partnerships. On behalf of U. S. Secretary Becerra, thank you for all you do to serve my hometown and our neighbors!
Lastly, please join me in wishing Joseph Toth a fond farewell! He will be leaving us at the end of this month to a new position in Washington, D. C. Elsa, Vincent and I are very excited to hear more about his new adventures in our nation's Capital.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

HHS Leadership Marks One-Year Anniversary of President Biden’s Care Executive Order
  • “No one will go through their life without providing care for someone or needing it themselves. Care is a true equalizer. But our access to that critical care is not equal. And we should be doing more to lift up our caregivers. Under President Biden’s leadership, we are making sure every American has access to the essential care they need for their wellbeing. We are also recognizing that roles which are too often dismissed or demeaned are treated for what they are worth, and ensuring the caregivers receive the respect and support they deserve. Care and care work are needed in every community, and critical to the success of our economy. And we won’t stop until those receiving care, and those providing it, have everything they need.”

Read More Here

New Funding for Rural Communities Opioid Response Program
  • The Rural Communities Opioid Response Program (RCORP)-Impact will improve access to treatment and recovery services for substance use disorder (SUD), including opioid use disorder (OUD).

    The program will serve people and families in rural areas affected by SUD.
    Apply Now! Applications due May 6, 2024

Learn More Here

Lasting Legacies: A White House Celebration of AA & NHPI Heritage & History
  • Join us on May 13 for a community-wide Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Heritage Month celebration!
Register Here

Secretary Becerra Statement on U.S. Global Health Security Strategy
  • This strategy will strengthen our public health systems, prioritize the health of people around the globe and develop systems that can prevent, detect, and fight every kind of biological danger. Strengthening global health security is a national security priority, and is essential to protect the health, lives, and economic well-being of the American people. These steps confirm that the Biden-Harris Administration is delivering on the President’s commitment to protect the American people from the next pandemic.
Get More Information Here

Statement from HHS Assistant Secretary for Health ADM Rachel Levine for STI Awareness Week–April 14-20, 2024
  • This week marks Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) Awareness Week, an opportunity to raise awareness about STIs and how they impact our lives.
See More Here

CMS Long Term Services and Supports webinar Apr 24: Senior Companions and Foster Grandparents for Tribal Communities
  • Date & Time: Apr 24, 2024 12:00 PM MT

    Description: This presentation will highlight how senior companion and foster grandparent programs can improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement.
Register Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Apr 26, 2024, 10:00:49 AMApr 26
to jkef...@larimer.org
Care Week 2024 and HHS Visits | Suicide Prevention | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
April 26, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

We have huge news from the Biden-Harris Administration this week! In honor of Care Week and Care Workers Recognition Month, we are highlighting President Bidens care agenda. I welcomed U.S. Dept. of HHS Deputy Chief of Staff, Angela Ramirez to Region VIII as part of our announcements. Thank you to PASCO and SEIU Local 105 for joining us in this national conversation. Thank you also for convening folks to share their personal stories driving this important work. Angela and I sincerely appreciated the miles you drove to meet with us, the energy it takes to share your journey of being a care giver or receiving care and earning a livable wage while leading with passion and your heart to care for others. We send our sincere gratitude for care givers everywhere!

HHS Deputy Chief of Staff, Angela Ramirez and Region VIII Director, Lily Griego meet with PASCO

HHS Deputy Chief of Staff, Angela Ramirez and Region VIII Director, Lily Griego meet with SEIU Local 105
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), on Monday issued three final rules to fulfill President Biden’s commitment to support family caregivers, boost compensation and job quality for care workers, expand and improve care options, and improve the safety and quality of care in federally-funded nursing homes. The actions, announced during Care Workers Recognition Month and the Month of Action on Care  represent a transformational investment to support America’s families and workers.

The three rules build on the President’s historic Action Plan for Nursing Home Reform and support of President Biden’s April 2023 Executive Order on Increasing Access to High-Quality Care and Supporting Caregivers (Care EO). They also follow through on President Biden’s State of the Union commitments to improve the quality of nursing home care; support older adults, people with disabilities, and care workers; and strengthen the economy.

“Everyone should have equal access to the critical care they need. Our caregivers – those who are taking care of the ones we love – deserve our respect and full support. That’s why HHS has been at the center of the Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to improve care and caregiving for Americans at all stages of their lives,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “We are taking important steps to strengthen care provided through Medicaid and CHIP and establishing national staffing standards for nursing homes to enhance care for residents while improving conditions for workers. This will help ensure that millions of people have access to high-quality health care and that the dedicated workers who provide care to our loved ones are fully valued for their work.”
Since the beginning of his Administration, President Biden has prioritized tackling the mental health crisis in America, including advancing health equity in communities of color. You may recall we shared the roll out of 988, the Maternal Health Hotline, the Roadmap for Behavioral Health and so many more actions taken to increase behavioral health workforce, access to care and resources for providers through HHS and SAMHSA. This week the Biden Harris Administration, through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released the 2024 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention and accompanying Federal Action Plan. I’d love to hear from you on how we can best partner with local communities to ensure we are delivering practices and actions that best serve American families to prevent suicide. For a copy of the document pictured here – please email us.
Also, the Biden-Harris Administration, through the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced a Final Rule, entitled HIPAA Privacy Rule to Support Reproductive Health Care Privacy . The Final Rule strengthens the Health Insurance Portability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule by prohibiting the disclosure of protected health information (PHI) related to lawful reproductive health care in certain circumstances. HHS is issuing this Final Rule after hearing from communities that changes were needed to better protect patient confidentiality and prevent medical records from being used against people for providing or obtaining lawful reproductive health care. This Final Rule will bolster patient-provider confidentiality and help promote trust and open communication between individuals and their health care providers or health plans, which is essential for high-quality health care. The Fact Sheet is here.

Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra announces a Final Rule, strengthening the Health Insurance Portability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule
Lastly, First Lady Jill Biden visited Colorado last weekend to share the importance of changing how our country approaches and funds research on women’s health. President Biden issued an Executive Order on Women’s Health Research and Innovation and launched the White House Initiative on Women’s Health Research.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

HHS Office of Minority Health (OMH) Virtual Roundtable
  • In honor of National Minority Health Month 2024, the HHS Office of Minority Health (OMH) invites you to join us for a virtual roundtable to learn more about social determinants of health. On Tuesday April 30, 2024, 1:00 – 2:00 pm ET, OMH will convene a virtual roundtable to discuss the ways in which the conditions of the environments where people are born, live, learn, work, play, worship, and age (known as social determinants of health, or SDOH) affect a wide range of health, functioning, and quality-of-life outcomes and risks.

Register Here

Biden-Harris Administration Announces $700 Million in Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Funding, Partnership with Bureau of Reclamation at White House Clean Water Summit
  • In a significant stride towards ensuring essential water and sanitation infrastructure throughout Indian Country, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Indian Health Service (IHS) announced $700 million in funding allocation from President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) and a newly signed memorandum of understanding with the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) at the first-ever White House Clean Water Summit.

Learn More Here

Lasting Legacies: A White House Celebration of AA & NHPI Heritage & History
  • Join us on May 13 for a community-wide Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Heritage Month celebration!
Register Here

HHS Finalizes Rule to Strengthen Services and Protections for Unaccompanied Children in Its Care
  • The Foundational Rule Formalizes Clear Standards and Procedures for HHS’ Unaccompanied Children Program as Part of HHS’ Ongoing Commitment to Child Safety and Well-being.
Get More Information Here

HHS Celebrates Earth Day 2024 with Fact Sheet of Accomplishments
  • Increasingly, climate change and environmental hazards threaten the health of people in the United States and around the world. HHS and the entire Biden-Harris Administration have mobilized to address these challenges in the most vulnerable communities, to build resilience in healthcare systems and to accelerate decarbonization of the healthcare sector.
See More Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

May 3, 2024, 4:04:49 PMMay 3
to jkef...@larimer.org
Mental Health Awareness and AAPI/NHPI Heritage Month | HHS Visits | HHS News
To view this email as a web page, click here.
May 3, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

We have news! Biden-Harris Administration Finalizes Policies to Increase Access to Health Coverage for DACA Recipients!

This week, I was on the road in Pueblo, a southern Colorado City that is home to about 111, 000 people. The County is home to roughly 169,000 people. The city and county serve as a metro hub for healthcare for much of southern Colorado, specifically rural Colorado. I spent time with some very dedicated folks who are working hard to ensure healthcare is right not a privilege, just like President Biden says!

I was there meeting with folks and joining them in conversation regarding rural health care access, mental health, maternal mental health and benefits of the Inflation Reduction Act including certain free recommended vaccines . I met with newly elected Pueblo Mayor Heather Graham and County Commissioners Griego (no relation), Esgar, and Swearingen, to discuss mental health. The Biden-Harris Administration understands that mental health is health, and addressing mental health is critical to the health and well-being of all Americans, from our children to our grandparents.

Pueblo Mayor Graham and Region VIII Director, Lily Griego

CSU Nursing students joined Renee Martinez of U. S. Senator Bennet’s’ office along with CSU Pueblo President Armando Valdez and me to discuss workforce, dedication to their education and what healthcare will look like in their futures. I gained so much from hearing from them and celebrate their passion led journey.

HHS Regional Director Lily Griego meets with CSU Pueblo President Armando Valdez, staff and students

Director Griego joined Donald Moore at Pueblo Community Health Center with Healthcare providers

Director Griego convened a roundtable with statewide AAA’s (Area Agency on Aging)

Senior/IRA discussion SRDA, Senior Resource Development Agency with Director Griego. Thank you to Steve Nawrocki and his entire team!

During Mental Health Awareness Month make it a point to check in with your loved ones. You never know what someone else is going through until you ask. For resources and support, visit the SAMHSA website, where you can find 24/7 crisis counseling, confidential treatment referral, and more. Explore your options. President Biden’s leadership in mental health has resulted in HHS investing more than $1 billion into the o 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline . These investments have allowed us to support more than 9.1 million contacts since July 2022, launch a nationwide text and chat in English and Spanish, offer deaf and hard of hearing accommodations, and support specialized services for LGBTQI+ individuals and for Veterans.

Join me in engaging folks about Mental Health Awareness month! Here are some hashtags for social media: #MHAM2024 #MentalHealthMatters #MentalHealthAwareness

As Secretary Becerra stated, “Mental health is an essential component of overall wellbeing, yet it is often overlooked or misunderstood. Many individuals and communities are experiencing increased levels of stress, anxiety, and depression. Now, more than ever, we need accessible mental health resources and support systems for all because mental health is health. Period.”

At the Department of Health and Human Services, we've championed a "no wrong door" approach, including initiatives like 988 – the national Suicide & Crisis Lifeline - which has responded to over nine million calls, texts, and chat messages, saving countless lives. We want you to know that you are not alone—we are here for you.

If you're struggling, don't wait. Reach out to a therapist, counselor, or support group. Make that phone call, schedule that appointment, and if you’re wondering what support is right for you, visit FindSupport.gov. If you feel that you have run out of options, know that 988 is there for you, whenever you need and that you are not alone. Don't let stigma or fear hold you back from getting the care you deserve. This Mental Health Awareness Month, commit to prioritizing your mental health. Your wellbeing matters, and taking action today can lead to a happier, healthier tomorrow.”
May is also Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. HHS celebrates the contributions that members of the AAPI/NHPI communities have made and continue to make to our country, and we further commit ourselves to supporting equity and inclusion for all.

In tandem with Mental Health Month, Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders face several barriers to behavioral health care, including mental health stigma and a shortage of clinicians who share their backgrounds. See the HHS programs aimed at addressing these issues.

Secretary Becerra noted, "As we honor National Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) Heritage Month, we recognize the significant strides made in advancing the health and well-being of AA and NHPI communities. At the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, our unwavering commitment to equity and inclusivity is evident through initiatives like expanding health care access and investing in behavioral health services, including the launch of the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. We stand in solidarity with AA and NHPI communities, actively addressing issues such as hate crimes and promoting language access and cultural competency. Together, let us continue to champion justice and equity for all, ensuring that the needs of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander individuals are met with urgency and understanding.”
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay: Tips and Resources for Mental Health Awareness Month By: Anita Everett, M.D. DFAPA, Director of the Center for Mental Health Services
  • It’s May, so just checking in… “How is everybody doing?” In case you missed it, Sesame Street’s lovable Elmo posed that very question on social media earlier this year – and the responses came flooding in. From relationship problems to financial troubles, and feelings of exhaustion, angst, loneliness, and disconnection, people shared their struggles. At last count, Elmo’s post had garnered more than 217 million views, 15,000 reposts, 165,000 likes, and 45,000 responses on one social media platform alone. What this helps reveal is that many of us are NOT okay – and it’s important to acknowledge and address that, and make sure people know that help is available.

SAMHSA Resources Here

HHS Finalizes Rule Strengthening Protections Against Disability Discrimination
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through its Office for Civil Rights (OCR), finalized a rule that prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. This rule, titled Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Health and Human Service Programs or Activities, advances equity and bolsters protections for people with disabilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504). This important Final Rule is HHS’s latest action in furtherance of Executive Order 14091, entitled Further Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government.

Learn More Here

HHS Issues Final Rule to Prevent Discrimination in Health and Human Services Grant Programs
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and the Assistant Secretary for Financial Resources (ASFR), issued a final rule to affirm nondiscrimination in HHS-funded programs and services.
More Information

Biden-Harris Administration Finalizes Rule to Strengthen Protections for Youth in the Child Welfare System
  • The Foundational Rule Formalizes Clear Standards and Procedures for HHS’ Unaccompanied Children Program as Part of HHS’ Ongoing Commitment to Child Safety and Well-being.
Read More

Biden-Harris Administration Invests $105 Million in Community-Based Organizations to Improve Maternal and Infant Health Across the Country
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), announced $105 million in funding to support more than 100 community-based organizations working to improve maternal and infant health.

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

May 10, 2024, 5:37:48 PMMay 10
to jkef...@larimer.org
Mental Health Awareness and AAPI/NHPI Heritage Month | HHS Webinars
To view this email as a web page, click here.
May 10, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

Let me and my team be the first to wish you a very happy Mother’s Day! As a daughter and a mom, myself, I could not be more proud to lead a team of folks dedicated to the mental health and well-being of moms across the country! Our work to protect abortion care and enhance maternal health is near and dear to me and our communities across Region VIII. I wish you peace and wellbeing on this Mother’s Day. Last week I asked you to join President Biden, U. S. Secretary Xavier Becerra and me in celebrating Asian American Native Hawaiian Pacific Islander month and Mental Health Awareness month. AA & NHPI Heritage Month is a time to celebrate these communities, and a time to recognize remaining barriers to health and health access for AA and NHPI communities and renew commitments to addressing racial disparities.

President Biden’s new lower cost prescription drug law, the Inflation Reduction Act, is making historic strides towards improving health for all communities – including the 2.1 million Medicare beneficiaries who identify as Asian. Asian American people with Medicare report more difficulty obtaining their prescription drugs than their white counterparts, underscoring the need for better access and affordability for needed medicines. President Biden’s lower cost prescription drug law expanded its Extra Help program for Part D beginning in January, which means over 11,000 AA and NHPI Medicare enrollees with low incomes are now eligible for $0 premiums, $0 deductibles, and generic drug copays no greater than $4.50 in 2024. Asian Americans are 40% more likely to be diagnosed with diabetes than non-Hispanic whites, so access to insulin and other treatments is essential for achieving blood sugar control and maintaining good health. One of the first benefits of the President’s Inflation Reduction Act to go into effect – and one of the most important provisions – caps the cost of each insulin product covered under Medicare at $35 per month. Visit LowerDrugCosts.Gov to find additional resources about all the benefits of the Inflation Reduction Act, including postcards and informational articles in Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese. The links above take you directly to the postcards – here is what they look like:

President Biden and U. S. Secretary Becerra continue their leadership by delivering on behalf of the American people! Check out our announcement on federal regulations to better meet the needs of adults who experience, or are at risk of, maltreatment and self-neglect by way of Adult Protective Services. Here is the final rule . Secretary Xavier Becerra shared “Everyone should be able to live without fear of abuse or neglect. Adult protective services systems play a crucial role in making that possible, these first-ever federal APS (Adult Protective Services) regulations strengthen and support their critical work and reflect the ongoing commitment of the Biden-Harris Administration to supporting the health, well-being, and independence of older adults and people with disabilities.”

We also announced $46.8 Million in behavioral health funding opportunities to advance President Biden’s Unity Agenda as part of May mental health awareness month. This critical funding supports the Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to address the mental health and overdose crises, as well as furthers HHS’s Overdose Prevention Strategy. “Continuing to invest in informed and equitable approaches to mental health and substance use is essential to the health and well-being of individuals and families,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “These grants directly impact the behavioral health of communities around the nation and are a critical part of the commitment of the Biden-Harris Administration to enhancing accessibility of evidence-based, effective behavioral health care services.” To underscore our commitment to increasing access to behavioral health, I recently toured Regis University’s Center for Counseling, Family, and Play Therapy to hear about training the next generation of behavioral health professionals.

Regional Director Griego met with Regis University’s Center for Counseling, Family, and Play Therapy to learn about innovative their behavioral health training programs.

Women’s health also remains a top priority for the Biden Harris Administration and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office on Women’s Health has announced the final phase winners for the HHS Hypertension Innovator Award Competition. The national competition was created to identify and reward innovative programs that ensure women with hypertension during pregnancy and/or postpartum receive appropriate monitoring and follow-up. This competition supports the Biden-Harris Administration’s implementation of the White House Blueprint for Addressing the Maternal Health Crisis, a whole-of-government strategy to combat maternal mortality and improve maternal and infant health, focusing on underserved communities.

And lastly, we also announced the COVID-19 vaccination public education campaign, We Can Do This, resulted in an estimated $731.9 billion in societal benefits due to averted illness and related costs, resulting in a nearly $90 return in societal benefits for every $1 spent, according to research published today in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

Secretary Becerra said “At the height of the pandemic, we launched one of the largest public health education campaigns in U.S. history to encourage and educate Americans on the steps they could take to get and stay healthy. We now have research to confirm the COVID-19 Public Education Campaign, We Can Do This, was an indispensable part of efforts to vaccinate people and protect them from COVID-19, saving thousands of lives and billions of dollars in the process, HHS is responsible for protecting the health and well-being of all Americans. As stewards of the public’s money, we wanted to deliver impact for the American people in the most efficient and effective ways. This confirms we did exactly that. We will no doubt use what we learned in this campaign to further improve our public health efforts in the future.”

This is a remarkable achievement we could not have done without each of you! Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to ensure Americans were protected and continue to be protected from COVID-19. We sincerely appreciate you!
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • May 13: TA Coalition SAMHSA-Sponsored Webinar-Serving Our Communities: How People with Lived Experience Make Mental Health Crisis Services More Effective

Register Here

Maternal Mental Health
  • May 14: Task Force on Maternal Mental Health National Strategy and Report to Congress

Livestream Here

May 14 – 16: System of Care Virtual Summit 2024
  • SAMHSA-funded National Center for Training and Technical Assistance on Child, Youth, and Family Mental Health (NTTAC) will host a free, virtual System of Care (SOC) Summit.
Register Here

May 16: Rural Mental Health: Documentary Film
  • The Foundational Rule Formalizes Clear Standards and Procedures for HHS’ Unaccompanied Children Program as Part of HHS’ Ongoing Commitment to Child Safety and Well-being.
Register Here

May 17: 2024 Children, Youth and Young Adult Mental Health Symposium “Championing Mental Health Together”
  • The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), through the Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS), will host a symposium which will convene multidisciplinary stakeholders and thought leaders to share perspectives and solutions for improved outcomes in prevention, early identification, and treatment for children, youth, young adults, and their families.
Stream Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

May 17, 2024, 2:35:48 PMMay 17
to jkef...@larimer.org
Mental Health Awareness Month | SUD | Maternal Health
To view this email as a web page, click here.
May 17, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

This week is National Prevention Week from May 12-18, 2024. A public education platform showcasing the work of communities and organizations across the country that are preventing substance use and promoting positive mental health. Prevention happens every day, not just during the second week of May. As such, National Prevention Week is shifting to celebrate and promote your year-round prevention initiatives. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) created a new, ongoing virtual series to showcase, elevate, and celebrate the important prevention ideas, events, news, and activities that impact communities across the country. Throughout the year , the series will spotlight prevention organizations that are creating positive social impact, fostering collaboration, and effectively responding to the changing substance use landscape. Ultimately, enhancing the health and well-being of our communities.

One life lost to an overdose is one too many! Earlier this week U.S. Secretary Xavier Becerra noted “When President Biden took office in January 2021, the overdose death rate was increasing 31% year-over-year. Today, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced that drug overdose deaths fell 3% over the past year—the first decline in more than five years. In 2021, we launched the HHS Overdose Prevention Strategy , mobilizing communities across our country, providing historic amounts of funding to states, tribes and community organizations. We are executing on a data-driven strategy that focuses on the root causes of the crisis and the key evidence-based interventions we know can drive down overdose deaths.

This new data confirms that our efforts are driving results. Drug overdoses destroy lives, families, and communities. But we have the tools and shared commitment across our nation to take on this challenge. And we have.

The Biden-Harris Administration has invested billions of dollars and significant expertise to beat the overdose epidemic. We have established and expanded Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics , which provide crisis services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to anyone who requests care for behavioral health. We have helped rural communities address difficulties they face in providing and accessing buprenorphine – a life-saving medication to treat opioid use disorder that can be prescribed in routine health care settings – and other critical services. We have made Naloxone available over the counter at pharmacies and grocery stores. These results show that our efforts are working. But we aren’t satisfied. HHS will continue to focus on the full range of solutions needed to address addiction for as long as necessary.”

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced the release of a national strategy with recommendations developed by the Task Force on Maternal Mental Health, a subcommittee of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Advisory Committee for Women’s Services, to address the urgent public health crisis of maternal mental health and substance use issues. The Report to Congress and accompanying National Strategy to Improve Maternal Mental Health Care are part of broader federal efforts to address women’s overall health, and maternal health in particular, across the nation, consistent with the White House Blueprint for Addressing the Maternal Health Crisis and the White House Initiative on Women’s Health Research.

The United States has the highest maternal mortality rate among high-income countries. Deaths from suicide, drug overdoses, and other causes related to mental health and substance use issues are the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in the U.S., accounting for more than 22% of those deaths. An estimated one in five individuals are impacted by mental health conditions – including mood disorders, anxiety disorders, trauma-related disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and postpartum psychosis – and substance use disorders (SUD) during pregnancy and the postpartum period and disproportionately affect Black and American Indian/Alaska Native individuals and others in under-resourced communities.

“Addressing the maternal mental health crisis is a top priority for the Biden-Harris Administration. Many of these tragic deaths can be prevented by eliminating health disparities and understanding the impact of mental health during pregnancy and in the first months as a parent,” said Secretary Becerra. “We want to address the challenges people are facing, decrease stigma associated with these challenges, and improve access to support both inside and outside of the health care system. I want to thank the task force for developing recommendations on how we can work to expand access to equitable treatment that will improve outcomes and help families thrive.”

As we continue to observe mental health awareness month, next week’s focus is on the unique challenges, strengths, and contexts that affect mental health in people from racial and ethnic minority groups. Under Secretary Becerra’s leadership, HHS has accomplished a great deal for the American people regarding mental health!

Everyone deserves access to respectful and culturally appropriate care. Members of racial and ethnic minority groups experience challenges that may require unique mental health support. Cultural differences should be respected and celebrated when providing mental health support. Addressing and reducing barriers to treatment are the first steps to building more equitable health systems.

Together, we can improve access to mental health care for people from racial and ethnic minority groups. HHS has engaged a Department-wide approach to delivering integrated and equitable behavioral health care. Some of the noteworthy work HHS has done to improve mental health services includes establishing the Behavioral Health Coordinating Council, rolling out the 988 Behavioral Health Crisis program, making major investments in the mental health workforce, and using Medicaid to provide mental health services in schools.

President Biden’s Bipartisan Unity Agenda and Fiscal Year 2025 budget prioritize behavioral health and addiction treatment. On May 8, 2024, HHS through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) announced $46.8 million in notices of funding opportunities to promote youth mental health, grow the behavioral health workforce, improve access to culturally competent behavioral care across the country, and strengthen peer recovery and recovery support.

On February 1, 2024, HHS marked two years of its Overdose Prevention Strategy by announcing bold new actions to combat overdoses including finalizing a rule that will dramatically expand access to life-saving medications for opioid use disorder, announcing grant funds may now be used to purchase xylazine test strips (XTS), and releasing the updated SAMHSA Overdose Prevention and Response Toolkit . In Fiscal Year 2023, the Biden-Harris Administration invested nearly $8 billion in programs supporting the Overdose Prevention Strategy across HHS.
The Administration for Children and Families (ACF) at HHS announced a new policy guidance and resources for states, Tribes, territories and local early childhood programs to promote the mental health and wellness of children, families and the early care and education workforce. These materials support President Biden’s Unity Agenda priority to tackle the mental health crisis and are in line with his strategy for transforming mental health in the United States.

“We are doing everything we can to support our nation’s children, their families, and early educators during the critical early years of development,” said Secretary Becerra. “We know healthy social and emotional development in early childhood forms the foundation for lifelong mental health., These new resources will help early childhood programs to partner with families to create healthy and nurturing learning environments and prepare all children for success in school and life.”

These new resources are tailored to recipients of ACF’s four early childhood funding streams—the Child Care and Development Fund, the Head Start program, the Preschool Development Grants Birth through Five program and the Tribal Home Visiting Program. They provide a range of actionable recommendations, resources, and strategies to promote healthy child development and to integrate mental and behavioral health supports into early care and education programs where young children spend so much of their time.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements
  • May 22: Building Stronger Foundations: The Intersection of Suicide Prevention Infrastructure and Behavioral Health Services. This learning session, co-hosted by the MHTTC Network Coordinating Office and Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC), will delve into the multi-faceted approach the SPRC has taken to support states and territories in building effective and sustainable suicide prevention infrastructure.
Register Here

May 22: Rooting Young Adult Mental Health Services in Culturally Sustaining Values and Practices
  • The Honoring and Supporting Peer Support in Healing-Centered Approaches webinar will explore peer support in healing-centered engagement, including how organizations might value, uplift, and support the wisdom and skill of those with lived experience.
Learn More Here

May 22: SAMHSA and Hud’s Third Annual Commemoration of National Mental Health Awareness Month
  • Learn more about the latest developments in mental health resource for HUD-assisted communities. Attendees will get slides and a mental health resource list after the event.
Register Here

May 22: Eating Disorders in Primary Care and Community Based Clinics
  • Childhood and adolescence are times of growth and development and, thus, periods of increased risk of eating disorders. Assessing growth and development accurately, without weight bias, is essential for the healthcare provider in the screening, treatment, and prevention of eating disorders in pediatric patients.
Get More Information Here

May 30: SAMHSA’s GAINS Center Webinar: Utilizing Trauma-Informed Approaches to Support Transition-Age Youth (TAY) in the Criminal Justice System
  • This webinar will discuss principles of trauma-informed care and approaches to implementing trauma-informed practices for transition-age youth (TAY) involved with the criminal justice system.
Register Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

May 24, 2024, 10:00:50 AMMay 24
to jkef...@larimer.org
Memorial Day | National Adolescent Health Month | HHS Updates
To view this email as a web page, click here.
May 24, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

I can’t believe how fast time is flying by! It’s Memorial Day weekend already. I know many of us will kick off summer with outdoor events, family camping trips and summer activities. Please join me and my team as we honor America’s beloved daughters and sons who gave their last full measure of devotion to this Nation. We can never fully repay the debt we owe these fallen heroes.

President Biden shared his message last year and it still holds true! “As For generations, stretching back to the formation of our country, these courageous folks answered duty’s call, giving the ultimate sacrifice for all we hold dear. They fought for our Independence. They defended our democracy. They sacrificed for our freedom. And today, as they lie in eternal peace, we continue to live by the light of liberty that they so bravely kept burning bright around the world.

Our brave service members are not only the heart and soul of our country, they are the very spine. Today and every day we remember their service to our Nation.”

President Biden signed into law the PACT Act , the most significant expansion of benefits and services for toxic exposed veterans in more than 30 years. This law also enables our colleagues at the Department of Veterans Affairs to move more quickly in the future to determine if illnesses are related to military service, and it offers critical support to survivors who were harmed by exposures. And the law authorized 31 new clinical sites and provides VA several tools and resources to ensure effective implementation of the law.

Thanks to this transformational law, President Biden will announce that more than 1 million PACT Act related claims have now been granted. More than 888,000 veterans and survivors across all 50 states and U.S. territories are now receiving new service-connected disability benefits.
This month is National Adolescent Health Month (NAHM) and it’s a time for adults from across the country to come together and support adolescents in our communities. During NAHM and all year long, communities, health care and human services providers, youth-serving professionals, and parents and caregivers connect youth to services and opportunities that build on their strengths and potential.

Join the Biden Harris Administration in advancing the vision that all adolescents in the United States have the safety, support, and resources to thrive, be healthy, and have equitable opportunities. We can all come together to support individuals and communities working to create change that benefits young people!

Young people know what programs and services they need to support their health and well-being. Involving young people in creating these programs and policie
s  builds their competence and leadership skills and supports self-determination. Increasing youth agency and engagement benefits young people by building their capacity to become independent adults. Supportive and caring adults are critical to helping young people advocate for themselves and make good decisions about their health and well-being.

Caring adults, such as family members, caregivers, health care professionals, school staff, and others working with young people, can take steps to engage youth. But these adults need support, too. With support, information, and training, caring adults are better equipped to understand and support young people.

All adults can support youth agency and engagement by actively listening to young people, centering their voices and lived experience, and involving them in program development. Adults can also work together to share resources and information that best support adolescents.
Good news on continuing to make sure that people have health coverage! The U.S. Secretary Becerra released the following statement after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new data showing the uninsurance rate holding steady at 7.7 percent:

“Under President Biden’s leadership more people have health coverage than under any previous president. Even more encouraging, the data released today does not reflect the record-breaking open enrollment period that saw over 21 million people sign up for insurance. The Biden-Harris Administration will redouble our efforts to make sure tax breaks for working families stay in place so that every single person in America can go to the doctor and afford the care that will keep them and their families healthy.”

The data CDC released today captures the fourth quarter of 2023 and represents a drop from 8.3 percent during the same period in 2022.
Also, as we continue to observe mental health month, I also want to share with you a recently updated toolkit for mental health in rural communities. The toolkit provides models, resources, and best practices to support the development and implementation of mental health programs in rural communities. If you have spent time with me, you know my team and I have been steadfastly amplifying the needs of rural America in healthcare – please help us share this information by reposting the link, sharing in your newsletters and asking us to show up with your networks to discuss our work for rural folks.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to lowering health care costs, promoting innovation, and making sure that taxpayer investments result in advancements in biomedical research that are accessible to everyone across the country.
Learn More

Biden-Harris Administration Launches New Option to Report Potential Violations of Federal Law and Continue to Promote Patient Access to Stabilizing Emergency Care
  • The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) launched a new option on CMS.gov to allow individuals to more easily file an Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) complaint. This new web resource is part of the Biden-Harris Administration’s comprehensive plan to educate the public and promote patient access to the emergency medical care to which they are entitled under federal law.
Read More

May 29, 2024, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. ET: Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) Heritage Month 2024
  • The HHS Office of Minority Health (OMH) invites you to join an X chat to discuss how social determinants of health (SDOH) impact the wellbeing of AA and NHPI communities, the role of data disaggregation in addressing SDOH, and the efforts of our partners advancing health equity for AAs and NHPIs
Join Here

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

May 31, 2024, 10:00:53 AMMay 31
to jkef...@larimer.org
AANHPI Heritage Month| Lupus Awareness | HHS Updates
To view this email as a web page, click here.
May 31, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

We are wrapping up Mental Health Awareness month along with Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Our work is not limited to this one month but the recognition of both gives us an opportunity to highlight the contributions of the AANHPI community, racial and systematic barriers they face in terms of access to healthcare, mental heath care and culturally competent care. Through the leadership of President Biden and U. S. Secretary Becerra we have led our work centered on equity and breaking down existing barriers, diversifying our workforce and deepening our listening sessions to hear what is needed from each community to be healthy and well. To that end, I convened a meeting with CU Denver and the White House Initiative on Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders (WHIAANHPI) to discuss mental health, health equity, supporting the next generation of health professionals this week in Denver. I’m grateful for everyone in our region and country who is amplifying the contributions of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders across our country. I’m honored to be considered a friend and an ally to these amazing human beings. Thanks for what you do every single day! We here at HHS value you and your work more than we can put into words. The proclamation President Biden issued this year, may be accessed here.

Lupus Awareness Month, led by the Lupus Foundation of America , is an annual observance in May to raise awareness of the physical, emotional, and economic impact of lupus.

This year, under Secretary Becerra’s leadership, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health (HHS OMH) has joined forces with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Office of Minority Health and Health Equity (FDA OMHHE) to launch the Let’s Take Charge! Campaign, an initiative to make lupus research more inclusive and diverse.

Lupus is an autoimmune disease that has a disproportionate impact on racial and ethnic minority populations. We need diverse participation in lupus research to help ensure that products and treatments for patients living with lupus are safe and effective.

With this campaign, HHS OMH and FDA OMHHE, along with community partners like you, we will raise awareness about the importance of racial and ethnic minority participation in clinical trials. The campaign will also address patient concerns and myths about research. Together, we can advance health equity and improve the lives of those impacted by this chronic, incurable disease.

Also, in case you missed it, here is some information on last week’s installment of a rural maternal health webinar series hosted jointly by the Health Resources and Services Administration's (HRSA) Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP) and the Rural Health Information Hub. This webinar built on topics and resources previously covered in the series, including achieving the Birthing-Friendly Hospital Designation from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), working with Perinatal Quality Collaboratives (PQCs), implementing patient safety bundles, and obstetric readiness for rural facilities without birthing units. The webinar highlighted various maternal health initiatives within HRSA.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • The report lays the groundwork for a coordinated effort – across the private and public sectors and in partnership with older adults, family caregivers, the aging services network, and other stakeholders – to create a national set of recommendations for advancing healthy aging and age-friendly communities that value and truly include older adults.
Learn More

Remarks by HHS Secretary Becerra at the 77th World Health Assembly
  • President Biden is fully committed to the WHO and the ongoing work of this body including reforms that will make it even stronger and a new General Programme of Work that advances health equity. The United States is proud to be both a strong partner and a leader in global public health. We believe in the potential of this body.
Read More

The ARPA-H UPGRADE research program, focused on cybersecurity, just launched
  • ARPA-H announces program to automate cybersecurity for health care facilities.
Learn More

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jun 7, 2024, 4:02:49 PMJun 7
to jkef...@larimer.org
NW Colorado Travels| Dementia, and Men's Health Month | HHS Updates
To view this email as a web page, click here.
June 7, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

Yesterday, we took time to remember the sacrifices of our heroic service members on D-Day. On the evening of June 6, 1944, President Franklin D. Roosevelt broadcast a prayer for the Nation. At the time, war was raging in Europe, and Hitler controlled most of it. Freedom and democracy were under assault around the world. But on that day, hope had landed on the beaches of Normandy when 73,000 Americans joined the Allied forces to carry out one of the greatest military missions of all time — a mission that would become known as D-Day. Knowing the fate of the free world rested in their hands, President Roosevelt asked our Nation to pray for these courageous service members’ strength as they “set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.” On the 80th anniversary of D-Day, may we thank these service members for their bravery and sacrifice. May we honor their heroism, which liberated a continent and saved the world. And may we recommit to the future they fought and which many died for. Over 2,500 Americans made the ultimate sacrifice, giving their lives so that the whole world might know freedom.

Today, we remember all the Americans who laid down their lives on D-Day to help end the tyranny of fascism across Europe, liberate oppressed peoples, and ensure the flame of liberty would burn bright around the world. Their success marked the beginning of the end of Nazi brutality, World War II, and the Holocaust — one of the darkest chapters in human history. It set the foundations of an enduring peace that still helps guide international cooperation and affairs today. We owe these service members, who represent the greatest of the Greatest Generation, as well as their families a debt of gratitude that we can never fully repay.

As we reflect on the sacrifices made on D-Day, we are reminded that freedom is not free and it has never been guaranteed. Every generation has to earn it, fight for it, and defend it in the battle between autocracy and democracy — between the greed of a few and the rights of many. Eighty years after our Nation’s brave Airmen, Coast Guardsmen, Sailors, Soldiers, and Marines embarked on D-Day — and as Americans everywhere answered the call to prayer and filled their hearts and homes with hope — may we honor the faith they kept in our Nation and their legacy by upholding the future that they died for — one grounded in freedom, democracy, opportunity, and equality for all.

This week, I had the privilege to visit Granby, Steamboat Springs, and Craig (Grand, Routt and Moffat counties) in northwest Colorado to meet with elected officials, healthcare and community leaders. Please allow me to begin by thanking each host, attendee and media representative who joined me to share the barriers to their success and the innovative solutions each community is formulating to tackle mental health, substance use, language access, maternal health and so much more. I mentioned at each meeting that President Biden identified the work ahead of us from day one of his administration and we are so honored to see the dedication and commitment each of you is taking to meet the need of your neighbors and we have more work to do, together!

The Biden-Harris Administration is taking actions to improve the health of rural communities. We are building on the Affordable Care Act and Inflation Reduction Act to increase access to affordable health coverage and care for those living in rural communities. With a disproportionate number of seniors living in rural America, rural Americans benefit from the Inflation Reduction Act’s policies to lower prescription drug costs in Medicare. Additionally, CMS finalized historic administrative changes to the Medicare Savings Program to make Medicare coverage more affordable for an estimated 860,000 people – including those living in rural America.

Secretary Becerra and HHS are keeping more rural hospitals open in the long run to provide critical services in their communities. The American Rescue Plan directed $8.5 billion to rural providers so they could keep hospitals and clinics open during the pandemic . The establishment of a new Rural Emergency Hospital designation, which provides struggling rural hospitals with a new option for maintaining a presence within the community. Through HRSA and other HHS divisions, we are bolstering the rural health workforce, including for primary care and behavioral health providers with $1.5 billion in scholarships and student loan assistance provided for rural clinicians and nurses so that medical personnel can fill these critical roles. And we are supporting access to needed care such as behavioral health and through telehealth services.

On Monday, I met with Mountain Family Center, The Grand Foundation, Grand County Rural Health Network, and Grand Beginnings to discuss increasing access to health care. I met with Granby Town Manager, Ted Cherry and local elected officials to talk about telehealth and behavioral health. I also met with Middle Park Health to share information on initiatives to expand the health care workforce.

In Steamboat, I visited the UC Health Yampa Valley Medical Center to hear about health care innovations to expand access for rural residents. City Council, President Garey and other elected officials to discuss benefits of the Inflation Reduction Act for seniors. I also met with Integrated Community and the Yampa Valley Community Foundation to share the White House Blueprint for Maternal Health.

In Craig, I met with Mayor Chris Nichols to discuss access to behavioral health in rural communities. I toured Memorial Regional Health to learn about initiatives to recruit and retain workforce and with Northwest Colorado Health to talk about telehealth innovations. A majority of our region is rural and remote which requires patients to travel hundreds of miles to access health care. I’m traveling often because it’s both important to share the complexities of accessing care in rural America with Washington on a regular basis, and to share national funding opportunities and new initiatives with rural health care providers. Local communities are amazing innovators who are dedicated to keeping people healthy and thriving!

Left to Right: USDA RD Colorado State Director Crestina Martinez, ED Grand County Rural Health Jen Flanning, ED and President Mountain Family Center, Stacy Starr, Lily Griego, Early Childhood Mental Health Consultant and Coach, Grand Beginnings, Julia Macchione and ED, The Grand Foundation, Megan Ledin

USDA RD Colorado State Director Crestina Martinez, Lily Griego, Town Manager Ted Cherry

Middle Park Health stop with CEO Jason Cleckler and team

Steamboat Springs City Council: Amy Dickson, Dakotah McGinlay, City Manager Gary Suiter, President Gail Garey, Lily Griego and United Way CEO Kate Nowak

President, Soniya Fidler, UC Health Yampa Valley Medical Center and her team.

Comunidad Integrada Equipo/ Integrated Community team

CEO, Tim Wohlgenant of the Yampa Valley Community Foundation hosted everyone for a roundtable discussion, thank you everyone for joining in!

USDA RD Colorado State Director Crestina Martinez, Public Health, Executive Director Sarah Copeland, Mayor Chris Nichols and Lily Griego

Jennifer Riley, CEO, Memorial Regional Health, Craig CO and her team hosted us for a rural health discussion.

My last stop of the tour was hosted by the amazing Steph Einfeld, CEO, Northwest Colorado Health.  Thanks to Matt Kireker from U. S. Senator Bennet’s office for joining in this vital conversation which included language access in mental health for Spanish speaking
Coloradoans.

That’s a wrap on my rural health tour to Northwest Colorado, Happy Pride everyone!
Latinos experience the second highest rate of dementia in the United States, according to the CDC. In recognition of Alzheimer's & Brain Awareness Month in June, the National Institute on Aging at NIH is raising awareness about Alzheimer's disease among the Latino community including Latinos living with dementia, their caregivers, and their families. Throughout the month we will share information, research, and resources on Alzheimer’s disease, caregiving, and clinical trials in English and Spanish using the #NIAAlzheimers hashtag.
June is Men’s Health Month ! This annual observance encourages men and boys to be proactive in their health by implementing healthy living decisions.

On average, men in the United States die nearly 6 years earlier than women and are at higher risk for many serious diseases, including heart disease, lung cancer, and HIV. In addition, men experience unique health problems that don’t affect women, like prostate cancer. Negative impacts of SDOH factors, like economic stability and educational access and quality, can increase their risk for poor health outcomes.

OMH is committed to working with public health and community-based partners to Be the Source for Better Health by providing racial and ethnic minority and AI/AN men and boys quality, equitable, and respectful care and services that are responsive to diverse cultural health beliefs and practices, preferred languages, economic and environmental circumstances, and health literacy levels. When patients are provided with culturally and linguistically appropriate information, they are better able to create healthier outcomes for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • On Tuesday, June 18 at 3:00 pm Eastern. Join to hear experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discuss clinical features of influenza A(H5N1), recommendations and considerations for influenza testing and treatment, and strategies for culturally competent patient evaluations for possible exposure to influenza A(H5N1).
Learn More

Health Center Expanded Hours Program
  • Grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration to expand access to health center services by increasing health center operating hours to meet identified patient and community needs. Deadline is June 24.
Read More

Substance Use Disorder Treatment and Recovery Loan Repayment Program (STAR LRP) Site Activation
  • Apply to be a HRSA approved Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Treatment and Recovery Loan Repayment Program site to receive assistance with recruitment and retention of qualified SUD clinicians and paraprofessionals.
Learn More

Help USDA Promote Summer Nutrition Programs for Kids
  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture recently announced a new suite of SUN Programs (Summer Nutrition Programs), with more choices and convenient ways to get summer nutrition support for children and teens. To get the word out, USDA developed digital, brand and print materials - available in English, Spanish, and additional languages - that can be used to promote SUN programs.

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jun 14, 2024, 4:04:44 PMJun 14
to jkef...@larimer.org
Happy Pride| Rural Health | HHS Updates
To view this email as a web page, click here.
June 14, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

Happy PRIDE everyone! U. S. Secretary Xavier Becerra released this statement “Each year during Pride Month we celebrate the LGTBQI+ leaders, activists, and trailblazers, including those who have helped to improve the health of our nation over the past two centuries. We all are freer because of people like Marsha P. Johnson, Dr. Sara Josephine Baker, and Dr. John Ercel Fryer.

Across the Biden-Harris Administration, we have a new generation of changemakers – Admiral Levine, Secretary Buttigieg, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, and all our LGBTQI+ staff – focused on shaping a more equitable and inclusive future.

HHS works every day to build an America where LGBTQI+ Americans have access to quality, affordable health care and can go to the doctor without fear of stigma or discrimination. Where the state you live in doesn’t determine whether you can access lifesaving, gender-affirming care. And where more communities embrace the diversity that has always strengthened our national character.

We have made tremendous progress but know there is much work still to be done. We will keep fighting for a future that doesn’t define being who you are as courageous.” You can read the remainder of the statements from our colleagues across the department, here.

Also, If you were not able to join us this week at the HHS Pride Summit, we wanted to share the videos of the flag raising ceremony and the Summit panels now available on the HHS YouTube Channel. We hope you find the flag raising inspiring and the Summit panels informative.

This week I delivered the keynote speech at the 2nd annual CREA Results health summit, or the Segunda Cumbre de Salud en Colorado. Thank you to CREA Results for creating a forum for the attendees to learn more about the accomplishments under the leadership of President Joe Biden including the Inflation Reduction Act, the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, and so much more. Here are the informational cards our office is sharing on the lower prescription drug law, or the IRA: Spanish, English, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean.

Director Griego speaks at CREA results Segunda Cumbre de Salud en Colorado

RD Griego and presenters at CREA results Segunda Cumbre de Salud en Colorado

U. S. HHS Secretary Becerra and White House Domestic Policy Advisor Neera Tanden visit Mid-State Technical College in Wisconsin

This week U. S. HHS Secretary Becerra and White House Domestic Policy Advisor Neera Tanden announced the Biden-Harris Administration is investing $11 Million to Expand Medical Residencies in Rural Communities.

Secretary Becerra shared “Every American should have access to high-quality health care no matter where they live. That is why HHS is investing in programs that improve and expand access in geographic areas that have historically been underserved, training more doctors in our country's rural areas is a proven strategy to recruit and retain doctors to serve rural communities. By funding new residency programs focused on OB-GYN training, we can help eliminate maternal care deserts, an important step in making pregnancy and childbirth safer.”

For more information about the Rural Residency Planning and Development Program, visit this site. For more information on HRSA’s rural health grants and programs, visit this site.

Have a safe and fun weekend, check out CDC’s recommendations for fun in the sun.
Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • At a meeting of the Elder Justice Coordinating Council on Wednesday, June 12, 17 federal agencies including the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Justice Department will look back on a decade in which the federal government has significantly expanded efforts to combat elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation —including in the areas of enforcement, public education, training, interagency collaboration, research, and support for older adults who experience or are at risk of experiencing abuse.
Learn More

Biden-Harris Administration Announces Another $31.4 Million in Funding Opportunities for Priority Behavioral Health Needs
  • To advance President Biden’s Unity Agenda for the nation, HHS will award funding to support behavioral health for racial and ethnic minorities and other underserved populations, substance use treatment and recovery, and integration of primary and behavioral health care
Read More

HRSA Health Center Program Funding
  • HRSA announces a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) to apply for New Access Points (NAP) funding under the Health Center Program. The purpose of this funding is to support new health center service delivery sites to expand affordable, accessible, and high-quality primary health care for underserved communities and populations. In this NOFO, such sites are referred to as new access points. Award recipients will use NAP funding to provide primary health care services at one or more new access points.
Learn More

BARDA awards up to $500 million in Project NextGen funding for vaccine clinical trials
  • The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), part of the Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response (ASPR) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), is announcing up to $500 million in Project NextGen funding to plan and execute multiple Phase 2b clinical trials evaluating novel vaccines administered as a nasal spray or as a pill to protect against symptomatic COVID-19.
Learn More

HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra Statement on Supreme Court Decision in Food and Drug Administration v. Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra issued the following statement following the Supreme Court’s unanimous decision in Food and Drug Administration v. Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jun 19, 2024, 2:00:47 PMJun 19
to jkef...@larimer.org
Juneteenth| Surgeon General | HHS Updates
To view this email as a web page, click here.
June 19, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8

Dear John,

Regional Director Griego is traveling so I have the newsletter this week.

Juneteenth serves as a critical reminder to advance racial equity in health care, especially as it relates to women’s health. The racial and ethnic disparities in maternal health outcomes for Black women are stark. Black women are approximately three times as likely as White women to die from a pregnancy-related cause, regardless of income or education level. And too often, Black mothers lack access to safe and secure housing, affordable transportation, and affordable, healthy food. This is unjust and unacceptable.

The Biden Harris Administration released the Blueprint for Addressing the Maternal Health Crisis, which outlines actions the Federal Government will take to combat maternal mortality and improve maternal health. And the Administration’s first piece of historic legislation, the American Rescue Plan, gave States the option to provide a full year of postpartum coverage to women on Medicaid, increasing it from just 60 days previously. President Biden and Secretary Becerra remain committed to addressing the long-standing inequities that Black communities have faced and that continue to damage the health and wellness of Black mothers.

Last year, HHS, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, announced that it had awarded nearly $130 million to expand Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics (CCBHCs) across the Country. CCBHCs must serve anyone who requests care for mental health or substance use conditions, regardless of their ability to pay, place of residence, or age. People being served by CCBHCs experience less home¬lessness, less illegal substance use, and reduced use of jails, prisons, emer¬gency rooms and hospitals for behavioral health issues.

Only one in three Black adults who need mental health care receive it. Additionally, the suicide rate among Black youth has been found to be increasing faster than any other racial/ethnic group. Due to stigma, lack of culturally competent providers, mistrust of medical providers due to historical abuse, cost or a lack of insurance, and/or limited options in their area, Black adults and youth often experience multiple barriers to care. The 988 Lifeline is available to provide immediate crisis counseling with trained counselors who can help people experiencing suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis or any other kind of emotional distress. The service is available 24/7, free, and can be accessed through phone, text and chat. Additionally, 988, has LGBTQI+ adult and youth, deaf and heard-of-hearing, and Spanish language, trained counselors available to answer calls, texts and chats.

The Biden-Harris Administration has and will continue to invest critical resources to expand mental health and substance use support to Americans, including through the President’s proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2025.

This week, U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy published an opinion piece in the New York Times urging for immediate action to protect young people from the harms of social media. Last year, Dr. Murthy outlined these risks in his Surgeon General’s Advisory on Social Media and Youth Mental Health. In his op-ed, Dr. Murthy argues that social media has not yet been demonstrated as safe for young people. He urges protections for the health, safety and privacy of kids and also pushes for a Surgeon General’s warning label to be placed on social media platforms.

You can read the op-ed HERE or below:

The New York Times | Surgeon General: For Our Kids’ Safety, Social Media Platforms Need a Health Warning

One of the most important lessons I learned in medical school was that in an emergency, you don’t have the luxury to wait for perfect information. You assess the available facts, you use your best judgment, and you act quickly.

The mental health crisis among young people is an emergency — and social media has emerged as an important contributor. Adolescents who spend more than three hours a day on social media face double the risk of anxiety and depression symptoms, and the average daily use in this age group, as of the summer of 2023, was 4.8 hours. Additionally, nearly half of adolescents say social media makes them feel worse about their bodies.

It is time to require a surgeon general’s warning label on social media platforms, stating that social media is associated with significant mental health harms for adolescents. A surgeon general’s warning label, which requires congressional action, would regularly remind parents and adolescents that social media has not been proved safe. Evidence from tobacco studies show that warning labels can increase awareness and change behavior. When asked if a warning from the surgeon general would prompt them to limit or monitor their children’s social media use, 76 percent of people in one recent survey of Latino parents said yes.

To be clear, a warning label would not, on its own, make social media safe for young people. The advisory I issued a year ago about social media and young people’s mental health included specific recommendations for policymakers, platforms and the public to make social media safer for kids. Such measures, which already have strong bipartisan support, remain the priority.

Legislation from Congress should shield young people from online harassment, abuse and exploitation and from exposure to extreme violence and sexual content that too often appears in algorithm-driven feeds. The measures should prevent platforms from collecting sensitive data from children and should restrict the use of features like push notifications, autoplay and infinite scroll, which prey on developing brains and contribute to excessive use.

Additionally, companies must be required to share all of their data on health effects with independent scientists and the public — currently they do not — and allow independent safety audits. While the platforms claim they are making their products safer, Americans need more than words. We need proof.

The rest of society can play a role also. Schools should ensure that classroom learning and social time are phone-free experiences. Parents, too, should create phone-free zones around bedtime, meals and social gatherings to safeguard their kids’ sleep and real-life connections — both of which have direct effects on mental health. And they should wait until after middle school to allow their kids access to social media. This is much easier said than done, which is why parents should work together with other families to establish shared rules, so no parents have to struggle alone or feel guilty when their teens say they are the only one who has to endure limits. And young people can build on teen-focused efforts like the Log Off movement and Wired Human to support one another in reforming their relationship with social media and navigating online environments safely.

Others must help, too. Public health leaders should demand healthy digital environments for young people. Doctors, nurses and other clinicians should raise the issue of social media with kids and parents and guide them toward safer practices. And the federal Kids Online Health & Safety Task Force must continue its leadership in bringing together the best minds from inside and outside government to recommend changes that will make social media safer for our children.

One of the worst things for a parent is to know your children are in danger yet be unable to do anything about it. That is how parents tell me they feel when it comes to social media — helpless and alone in the face of toxic content and hidden harms. I think about Lori, a woman from Colorado who fought back tears as she told me about her teenage daughter, who took her life after being bullied on social media. Lori had been diligent, monitoring her daughter’s accounts and phone daily, but harm still found her child.

There is no seatbelt for parents to click, no helmet to snap in place, no assurance that trusted experts have investigated and ensured that these platforms are safe for our kids. There are just parents and their children, trying to figure it out on their own, pitted against some of the best product engineers and most well-resourced companies in the world.

Parents aren’t the only ones yearning for solutions. Last fall, I gathered with students to talk about mental health and loneliness. As often happens in such gatherings, they raised the issue of social media.

After they talked about what they liked about social media — a way to stay in touch with old friends, find communities of shared identity and express themselves creatively — a young woman named Tina raised her hand. “I just don’t feel good when I use social media,” she said softly, a hint of embarrassment in her voice. Her confession opened the door for her classmates. One by one, they spoke about their experiences with social media: the endless comparison with other people that shredded their self-esteem, the feeling of being addicted and unable to set limits and the difficulty having real conversations on platforms that too often fostered outrage and bullying. There was a sadness in their voices, as if they knew what was happening to them but felt powerless to change it.

As a father of a 6- and a 7-year-old who have already asked about social media, I worry about how my wife and I will know when to let them have accounts. How will we monitor their activity, given the increasingly sophisticated techniques for concealing it? How will we know if our children are being exposed to harmful content or dangerous people? It’s no wonder that when it comes to managing social media for their kids, so many parents are feeling stress and anxiety — and even shame.

It doesn’t have to be this way. Faced with high levels of car-accident-related deaths in the mid- to late 20th century, lawmakers successfully demanded seatbelts, airbags, crash testing and a host of other measures that ultimately made cars safer. This January the F.A.A. grounded about 170 planes when a door plug came off one Boeing 737 Max 9 while the plane was in the air. And the following month, a massive recall of dairy products was conducted because of a listeria contamination that claimed two lives.

Why is it that we have failed to respond to the harms of social media when they are no less urgent or widespread than those posed by unsafe cars, planes or food? These harms are not a failure of willpower and parenting; they are the consequence of unleashing powerful technology without adequate safety measures, transparency or accountability.

The moral test of any society is how well it protects its children. Students like Tina and mothers like Lori do not want to be told that change takes time, that the issue is too complicated or that the status quo is too hard to alter. We have the expertise, resources and tools to make social media safe for our kids. Now is the time to summon the will to act. Our children’s well-being is at stake.

Have a safe summer!

Thank you,

Elsa Ramirez
Office of the Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • The IBH Model is focused on improving the behavioral and physical health outcomes and quality of care for people with Medicaid and Medicare who experience moderate to severe behavioral health conditions. The model seeks to bridge the gap between behavioral and physical health by enabling specialty behavioral health practices to integrate behavioral health with physical health care and health-related social needs. The IBH Model is a state-based model, led by state Medicaid agencies (SMAs), with a goal of aligning payment between Medicaid and Medicare for integrated care.
Apply Here

Statement from Assistant Secretary for Health Levine on Point of Care Testing for Syphilis
  • Over the past decade, syphilis rates and case numbers in the U.S. have increased across all populations. In response to this surge in syphilis cases, HHS formed the National Syphilis and Congenital Syphilis Syndemic Federal Task Force led by HHS Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Rachel Levine. The task force issued new considerations for health care providers who test patients for syphilis. The new HHS document “Considerations for the Implementation of Point of Care Tests for Syphilis ,” outlines four main differences between syphilis point of care tests and laboratory-based serologic syphilis tests and highlights the best settings to consider use of point-of-care tests.
Read More

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jun 28, 2024, 5:30:56 PM (6 days ago) Jun 28
to jkef...@larimer.org
Secretary Becerra Visit| Firearm Violence Advisory | Drug Costs Savings
To view this email as a web page, click here.
June 28, 2024
HHS Region 8
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

It was my honor to welcome U. S. Secretary Xavier Becerra back to Region 8 last week. He visited Denver, CO, on his National Reproductive Health for All Tour, highlighting the Biden-Harris Administration efforts to protect and expand access to reproductive health care. He was joined by Congresswoman Diana DeGette (CO-01), Lieutenant Governor Dianne Primavera, Cobalt Advocates CEO Karen Middleton, Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains CEO Adrienne Manzanares, and COLOR CEO Dusti Gurule at a press conference, pictured below.

The tour comes at a time when abortion care, in vitro fertilization procedures, and contraception are all under attack from elected officials. Along the tour, Secretary Becerra is joining elected officials, medical professionals, advocates and patients to uplift lived experiences and the continue the fight for reproductive rights for all. Together, we'll fight to ensure women can access the care they need.

 Juana Rosa Cavero, Repro Collab, Shara Smith, ED, Interfaith Alliance, Dusti Gurule President & CEO, COLOR, Monique Lovato, State Director U. S. Senator Hickenlooper, U. S. Congresswoman DeGette, Karen Middleton, President COBALT, Fernando Pineda Reyes, CEO, CREA Results, Lt. Governor Dianne Primavera, U. S. Secretary Becerra, Dr. Emily Schneider-Bruch

Also on the 2-year recognition of the passage of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, United States Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy released a landmark Surgeon General’s Advisory on Firearm Violence, declaring firearm violence in America a public health crisis. Firearm violence is pervasive, with more than half (54 percent) of U.S. adults or their family members having experienced a firearm-related incident in their lives. Over the last decade, the number of people who have died from firearm-related injuries, including suicides, homicides, and accidental deaths, has been rising, and firearm violence is now the leading cause of death among children and adolescents.

This new Advisory is the first publication from the Office of the Surgeon General dedicated to firearm violence and its consequences for the health and well-being of the American public. The advisory details the impact of gun violence beyond death and injury, describing the layers of cascading harm for youth, families, communities, and other populations. With nearly 6 in 10 U.S. adults worrying “sometimes,” “almost every day,” or “every day,” about a loved one being a victim of firearm violence, the effects of the public health crisis extend well beyond physical health – it has led to a collective trauma across society that warrants heightened attention.

“Firearm violence is an urgent public health crisis that has led to loss of life, unimaginable pain, and profound grief for far too many Americans,” said U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy. “We don’t have to continue down this path, and we don’t have to subject our children to the ongoing horror of firearm violence in America. All Americans deserve to live their lives free from firearm violence, as well as from the fear and devastation that it brings. It will take the collective commitment of our nation to turn the tide on firearm violence.”

The Advisory outlines an evidence-informed public health approach to addressing the crisis of firearm violence. This approach involves critical research funding, implementation of prevention strategies, and increased mental health access and support including:

1. Critical research investments
2. Community risk reduction and education prevention strategies
3. Firearm risk reduction strategies
4. Mental health action and support

While further research is needed to better understand firearm violence and its impacts, we can promote programs, policies, and practices right now that create safer conditions for the American people. This requires leveraging community leaders, working closely with at-risk populations, and educating the public on key protective actions. An all-of-society effort is required to help create safer conditions, build healthier communities, and save lives.

I have good news to share on making prescriptions more affordable for seniors! HHS announced cost savings for 64 Prescription Drugs thanks to the Medicare Rebate Program established by the Biden-Harris Administration’s Lower Cost Prescription Drug Law. some Medicare enrollees will pay less for 64 drugs available through Medicare Part B. The drugs will have a lowered Part B coinsurance rate from July 1, 2024 – September 30, 2024, since each drug company raised prices faster than the rate of inflation. Over 750,000 people with Medicare use these drugs annually, which treat conditions such as osteoporosis, cancer, and infections.

“President Biden’s Medicare prescription drug rebate program is putting money back in the pockets of seniors and people with disabilities, said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “President Biden made lowering prescription drug costs for Americans a top priority, and he is delivering on that promise. Our work is not complete, and we will continue to fight for lower health care costs for all Americans.”

Because of President Biden’s lower cost prescription drug law, the Inflation Reduction Act, which established the Medicare Prescription Drug Inflation Rebate Program, some people with Medicare who use these drugs during this time period may save between $1 and $4,593 per day.

Also for our 988 lifeline partners, over the past two years, we’ve heard your requests to simplify and improve the ordering process for 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline print materials. We know that print materials are a critical need for all who are working to raise awareness about 988 across the country, and we have been working behind the scenes to improve this process.

We’re excited to give you a new one-stop-shop website for ordering 988 awareness print materials.

You’ll still be able to get to the “order print materials” link from the 988 Partner Toolkit. You’ll also still be able to find all the print materials when searching for marketing materials in the Partner Toolkit.

Have a safe summer!

Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • The Rural Clinician's Role in Influenza A(H5N1) Surveillance This Summer: Practical Strategies for Assessing Patient Risk and Implementing Influenza Testing and Treatment is now available!
Learn More

Rural SUD Information Center
  • Serves as an information clearinghouse sharing evidenced-based resources and practices for the prevention, treatment, and recovery of substance use disorders (SUDs) in rural communities. Also shares news, events, and opportunities for technical assistance from the 3 Rural Communities Opioid Response Program (RCORP) funded Rural Centers of Excellence (RCOEs) on SUDs.

Office of the Regional Director HHS Region 08

Jul 3, 2024, 3:31:55 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to jkef...@larimer.org
Regional Director Visits| Alzheimer’s| Funding Opportunities
To view this email as a web page, click here.
July 3, 2024
HHS Region 8
Dear John,

Happy Independence Day America! Thanks to the leadership of President Joe Biden, we have seen gains in access to healthcare access and affordability, civil rights protected under the Affordable Care Act, record rates of insured Americans in history, cost savings for seniors from the Inflation Reduction Act and on the 2 year anniversary of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act we have seen gains in addressing gun violence which coincides with Surgeon General Murthy’s designation of gun violence as a public health crisis. I’m proud to be leading U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in Region 8 and serving you! I join you in celebrating our freedoms this 4th of July.

Ahead of the holiday, I’ll share a few stops we have been making in the metro area of Colorado. Friday I joined the City and County of Broomfield for a discussion on diversity, equity and inclusion. I’m grateful for local governments serving our neighboring communities with a focus on equity, in healthcare, services and intentional place-building. Broomfield formed a health equity workgroup was formed in 2022 with the goal to develop a comprehensive plan with key strategies to reduce health inequities in Broomfield. We celebrate and honor local community accomplishments in focusing on how to best deliver for their residents in an equitable manner – and we share your objectives and goals in doing so.

Lutheran Medical Center is a community-based, acute-care hospital in Wheat Ridge, Colorado. It includes Lutheran Hospice Center and Lutheran Spine Center at Denver West. Lutheran Medical Center is part of Intermountain Health. Just ahead of their relocation we received a tour and discussion on how they are enhancing care and meeting the needs they see in their patient population. Thank you to Regional Administrator John Hannigan, CMS, for joining me in these important discussions.

Urban Peak in Denver, Colorado is growing! I had the privilege to see their new site this week with the State Director for U. S. Senator John Hickenlooper, Monique Lovato. In 1998, Urban Peak opened as Colorado’s first and only licensed shelter for youth experiencing homelessness. Since then, Urban Peak has expanded the shelter, acquired three apartment complexes for transitional youth housing, and renovated space downtown for the Drop-In Center and Outreach team. In the last fiscal year, Urban Peak served nearly 1,000 different youth experiencing homelessness in the metro region. Thank you for your important work Urban Peak!

In other news this week, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), announced more than $200 million to support 42 programs across the country aimed at improving care for older Americans, including those experiencing Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.

This workforce initiative integrates geriatric training into primary care to ensure that health care providers are prepared to identify and address the needs of older patients. Primary care providers are the usual source of care for many older individuals. It is important that these care providers have the capacity to respond to patients’ growing needs as they age. Grantees also will work in the community to help family members and other caregivers understand the changing needs of those they support.

Have a safe and happy Independence Day!

 We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Preamble to the Declaration of Independence

Thank you,

Lily Griego
Regional Director, Region VIII
HHS News and Announcements

  • The purpose of this program is to improve access to evidence-based, timely, and culturally relevant maternal mental health and substance use (behavioral health) intervention and treatment by strengthening community referral pathways. Recipients will be expected to collaborate with pregnancy and postpartum healthcare organizations, refer individuals in need of behavioral health care to the appropriate entities, and provide short-term mental health and substance use services to individuals who cannot access care. Closing: Aug. 26, 2024.
Learn More

Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program Community Selection
  • HUD will select up to 25 communities to participate in the Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program to develop and execute a coordinated community approach to preventing and ending youth homelessness. Closing: Aug. 29, 2024.
Apply Here

CMS Announces Transforming Maternal Health (TMaH) Model
  • Under this new Transforming Maternal Health (TMaH) Model selected state Medicaid agencies will receive targeted technical support with a goal of developing a whole-person approach to pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum care. Closing: Sept. 20, 2024.

    Community-based organizations (CBOs) may be able to engage with local health care systems, hospitals, birth centers and maternal health care providers, as well as managed care entities and other partners, about the benefits of participating in TMaH. CBOs may also send letters of support for TMaH to their Medicaid agency.