Marylou Smith's note

Zimdahl,Robert

Jul 1, 2024, 12:42:05 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to andrew.boese...@state.co.us, kipp....@state.co.us, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', Paige Noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, lauren...@frontrange.edu, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, marylou Smith
All,
      Marylou Smith did not ask me to write this note.  However , because the decision is so obviously culturally and morally wrong. I must object.  The decision is inconsistent with the obligation and duty of any modern society that purports to care for its citizens,  (ie. Colorado).  The abrupt termination of  this program is a clear indication our State has lost its way. I write to support Ms. Smith's argument and will continue to in any way I can.
My immediate questions are
1. Who made the decision?
2. Who authorized the decision?
3. No justification for the decision was offered. Why?
4. What logical justification can be offered?
5. Given the money was taken from one good program where did it go? What other program was funded and why is that more important than           children's education?
6. Finally, I would  like answers to my questions to permit me continue my commentary with those who made this really bad decision.
      R. L. Zimdahl

Robert L. Zimdahl
Professor Emeritus
Robertlzimdahl.com

Pellow, Lauren

Jul 1, 2024, 7:21:52 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Zimdahl,Robert, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, kipp....@state.co.us, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', Paige Noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, marylou Smith
Hi Robert,

These are all great questions. I am happy to connect with you via phone. This decision was made by CDE, and I am in the process of informing partners and getting things sorted. Let me know a good number to reach you at.

Thanks,

Lauren

Lauren Pellow, M.A., M.Ed., Larimer County Program Director
Front Range Community College
Blanca Peak 107C
4616 S. Shields St., Fort Collins, CO 80526
970-204-8181 - office line (English)
970-204-8373- direct line (English/español)
970-430-5512- text messages only (English/español)

We offer free classes in GED Preparation and English Language Acquisition to adults in our Northern Colorado community. Ofrecemos clases gratuitas de preparación para el GED y el desarrollo del idioma inglés para adultos en nuestra comunidad del norte de Colorado.

Jul 1, 2024, 9:04:43 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Pellow, Lauren, Amy Hoeven, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', John Kefalas, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, Zimdahl,Robert, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, flora teran, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, joannginal52, kipp....@state.co.us, marylou Smith
I just sent a note to Angie Paccione to ask if she knows what’s going on and who to contact.  She’s a friend so maybe will answer me.

Paige

marylou Smith

Jul 1, 2024, 9:31:26 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to paige noon, Pellow, Lauren, Amy Hoeven, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', John Kefalas, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, Zimdahl,Robert, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, flora teran, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, joannginal52, kipp....@state.co.us
Just in from Lauren Pellow, director of The ESL program at Front Range:
“The majority of our grant funding-and the funding that was rescinded-is Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA). These are federal dollars that are managed by the Adult Education Initiatives (AEI) office at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). It was the AEI office that awarded us the dollars and then defunded us. Here is a link to their website: https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/contact-us
Inquiries and support could be sent to the general email (a...@cde.state.co.us) or to the director, Allyson Garcia (garcia_...@cde.state.co.us). Please do let me know if you or anyone else reaches out to them and hears back!”

Pellow, Lauren

Jul 1, 2024, 9:32:01 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Zimdahl,Robert, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, kipp....@state.co.us, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, marylou Smith
Hi All,

Can I jump in just to clarify a few points?  Before things go too far and the wrong information gets disseminated, I just want to clear a few things up. The Learning Source (TLS) is a non-profit adult education provider, operating in various regions in the state. Some of our programs are on FRCC campuses, but the majority are not. I am the program director for the Larimer County site for The Learning Source.

The funding for our English and GED classes was not retracted from grants that are tied to FRCC. The funding was retracted from our non-profit, The Learning Source.

The majority of our (The Learning Source's) grant funding-and the funding that was rescinded-is Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) dollars. These are federal dollars that are managed by the Adult Education Initiatives (AEI) office at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). It was the AEI office that awarded us the dollars and then defunded us. Here is a link to their website: https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeadult/contact-us.

Inquiries and support could be sent to the general email (a...@cde.state.co.us) or to the director, Allyson Garcia (garcia_...@cde.state.co.us). Please do let me know if you or anyone else reaches out to them and hears back!

Let me know if this helps clarify,

Lauren

Lauren Pellow, M.A., M.Ed., Larimer County Program Director
Front Range Community College
Blanca Peak 107C
4616 S. Shields St., Fort Collins, CO 80526
970-204-8181 - office line (English)
970-204-8373- direct line (English/español)
970-430-5512- text messages only (English/español)

We offer free classes in GED Preparation and English Language Acquisition to adults in our Northern Colorado community. Ofrecemos clases gratuitas de preparación para el GED y el desarrollo del idioma inglés para adultos en nuestra comunidad del norte de Colorado.

Jul 1, 2024, 9:56:15 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Pellow, Lauren, Amy Hoeven, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', John Kefalas, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, Zimdahl,Robert, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, flora teran, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, joannginal52, kipp....@state.co.us, marylou Smith
Thank you Lauren for this.

marylou Smith

Jul 1, 2024, 10:54:25 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to Pellow, Lauren, Zimdahl,Robert, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, kipp....@state.co.us, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Tom Rhodes, Gretchen Haley
Thanks, Lauren. Just to clarify, does FRCC itself have an ESL program separate from The Learning Source? The FRCC website says it offers ESL and says the classes are free. Then the website directs you to register at The Learning Source. I will reach out to Allyson Garcia to see what I can learn and whether public pressure might turn this decision around. Our immigrants are working hard to make a living and raise their families. Those who have the additional oomph to try to learn English need all the support we can give them. Again, thanks for the additional information. MaryLou

mar...@hereandnowfarm.com

Jul 1, 2024, 11:33:29 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, andrew.boese...@state.co.us, kipp....@state.co.us, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, Lauren...@frontrange.edu, aboese...@gmail.com, ca...@cathykipp.com

Dear Dr. Garcia:

Lauren Pellow, program director for the Larimer County site for The Learning Center, has informed us that ESL classes that have been held the past several years at Front Range Community College have been abruptly cancelled. We are told that funding previously awarded for these classes has been rescinded.

Many of us working with immigrants in Larimer County were shocked with this news and wish to hear from you the details behind the dollars having been rescinded. We work with numerous immigrants who are investing ten hours per week on top of full-time work and family responsibilities to learn English. They want to become more fully integrated into our communities and to improve their opportunities for advancement.

Since you are director of the Adult Education Initiatives (AEI) office at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE), the agency who awarded these funds, we are writing you to ask why the funding has been rescinded. Ms. Pellow has told us that the rescinded funds are federal Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) dollars, managed by your office. If you are not the one who made the decision to rescind the funds, can you connect us with those who made this decision so that we can reach out to them?

Our immigrants need these classes. We are devoted to accompanying these immigrants as they try to maneuver and thrive in their new culture. We look forward to hearing from you.

MaryLou Smith, founder Hispanic Women’s Farming Proyecto and many others copied on this email.

Rep. Andrew Boesenecker

Jul 2, 2024, 12:41:40 PM (3 days ago) Jul 2
to joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Rev. Gretchen Haley, Tom Rhodes, Lauren...@frontrange.edu, Cathy Kipp, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, mar...@hereandnowfarm.com
Dear MaryLou,

Thank you for including me in this email. Kindly use this email address for any additional replies. I reached out to my contacts at the DOLA  yesterday and received the following response.

It appears that the Learning Source's grant funding, and the funding that was rescinded, is Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA). These are federal dollars that are managed by the Adult Education Initiatives (AEI) office at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). It was the AEI office that awarded the dollars and then defunded.

I see that Ms. Garcia is copied here; I have reached out directly for more information.

Best regards,

Andrew Boesenecker (He/Him/His)
State Representative, House District 53
House Majority Co-Whip
Appropriations Committee
Health Insurance Exchange Oversight Committee
Vice Chair, Legislative Audit Committee
Transportation, Housing, & Local Government Committee
Vice Chair, State, Civic, Military and Veterans Affairs Committee

mar...@hereandnowfarm.com

Jul 2, 2024, 4:59:25 PM (3 days ago) Jul 2
to Rep. Andrew Boesenecker, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Tom Rhodes, Lauren...@frontrange.edu, Cathy Kipp, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, Robert Zimdahl

Glad to hear you have reached out to Dr. Garcia for more information, Rep. Boesenecker. It will be helpful to hear some details of how this came about and whether we can do anything about it.

Best, MaryLou

Cathy Kipp

Jul 3, 2024, 5:44:43 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to mar...@hereandnowfarm.com, Rep. Andrew Boesenecker, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Tom Rhodes, Lauren...@frontrange.edu, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, Robert Zimdahl, Kristin Stephens, Boesenecker Aides, Aide Kipp
Hi All,

I have spoken with our legislative liaison at the Colorado Department of Education who has reached out to share the information below with Rep Boesenecker and myself. She sent me this information in an email as a follow up:

I know you have received some outreach regarding the corrective action that CDE has recently taken with an adult education grantee, The Learning Source (TLS), and I wanted to share a bit of background information.

As you are aware, the Colorado Department of Education serves as the fiduciary and administrator of several state and federal grants; as such, we are committed to responsible and ethical stewardship of state and federal funds and compliance with all state and federal requirements related to managing, distributing, and overseeing the use of these funds. Our work includes ensuring that grantees' use of funds meets the programmatic requirements and that grantees comply with all state and/or federal funding requirements. We are also required to monitor grantees’ compliance with these state and federal requirements and, when necessary, take corrective action.

Last week, we provided informal notice to The Learning Source (TLS) that, after a comprehensive seven-month review of their federal Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) grant activities and related financial records, we have identified significant discrepancies and non-compliance issues both programmatically and fiscally. We are in the process of finalizing this report and will share these findings directly with TLS.

Throughout the review period, which began in December, we notified TLS that the pending grant award was conditional on the results of the program review/monitoring and that a formal decision could only be made after the review was complete. To date, TLS has not been provided a formal grant award letter (GAL) for pending grant applications.

We recognize and understand that our adult education partners provide critical services to their communities. Moving forward, we will be working with other grantees in the local workforce development areas TLS has served to ensure adult learners in those areas can access the services they need. CDE will also be conducting outreach to existing partners within TLS’ service area – such as community colleges, libraries, elementary schools, and other community-based organizations – and providing information regarding future grant opportunities to support adult learners.

In the meantime, students seeking support can contact A...@cde.state.co.us for information and referrals to other programs or eligible providers in Colorado.

From talking with the CDE legislative liaison, this is a highly unusual step. Unfortunately, due to the significance of the issues that were found in the audit, the preferred option of a corrective action was not possible.

My understanding is that Rep Boesenecker is still organizing a meeting for next week to figure out steps going forward, but we wanted to share this with you prior to the holiday weekend.

Best,
Cathy
Representative Cathy Kipp
She/Her
Colorado House of Representatives for House District 52
Cell: 970-219-5267  Legislative office: 303-866-4569
Office: SSB, 1525 Sherman St, Denver, Room 620
Mail: 200 East Colfax, Room 307, Denver, CO  80203

John Kefalas

Jul 3, 2024, 6:06:55 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to Cathy Kipp, mar...@hereandnowfarm.com, Rep. Andrew Boesenecker, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Tom Rhodes, Lauren...@frontrange.edu, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, Robert Zimdahl, Kristin Stephens, Boesenecker Aides, Aide Kipp
Thank you Cathy, and this background information is most helpful in understanding why the pending grant funds were held back. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

Larimer County

John Kefalas

County Commissioner, District 1

Commissioners' Office

200 W Oak St | 2nd Floor

PO Box 1190, Fort Collins, CO 80522-1190

W: (970) 498-7001

Cell:  (720) 254-7598

jkef...@larimer.org | www.larimer.org

Pellow, Lauren

Jul 3, 2024, 6:49:09 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to John Kefalas, Cathy Kipp, mar...@hereandnowfarm.com, Rep. Andrew Boesenecker, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Tom Rhodes, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, Robert Zimdahl, Kristin Stephens, Boesenecker Aides, Aide Kipp
Cathy,

Thank you for this information. I appreciate some transparency.  I was never informed of this TLS- wide audit nor of any of these details. At my position level (director of Larimer County), I was told we were awarded funds and was told the dollar amount.  This makes me wonder about CDE's communication regarding the audit and to whom this information was communicated, as it unfortunately didn't reach me. I also don't think any other grantee was awarded funds in Larimer County, so I still have questions there. I will look forward to seeing the findings of the audit to hopefully provide some closure.

Thank you all for your work. At the end of the day, for me, it is all about how it impacts students. I hope that AEFLA dollars can get back in circulation in some way, shape, or form in Larimer County.

Lauren

Lauren Pellow, M.A., M.Ed., Larimer County Program Director
Front Range Community College
Blanca Peak 107C
4616 S. Shields St., Fort Collins, CO 80526
970-204-8181 - office line (English)
970-204-8373- direct line (English/español)
970-430-5512- text messages only (English/español)

We offer free classes in GED Preparation and English Language Acquisition to adults in our Northern Colorado community. Ofrecemos clases gratuitas de preparación para el GED y el desarrollo del idioma inglés para adultos en nuestra comunidad del norte de Colorado.

EXTERNAL MAIL: kefa...@co.larimer.co.us: Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Please contact your college IT Help Desk if you have any questions

Cathy Kipp

Jul 3, 2024, 7:25:09 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to Pellow, Lauren, John Kefalas, mar...@hereandnowfarm.com, Rep. Andrew Boesenecker, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Tom Rhodes, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, Robert Zimdahl, Kristin Stephens, Boesenecker Aides, Aide Kipp
Hi Lauren,

Agreed - I think we all have the same goal at this point to ensure our students here in Larimer County have the services they need. Thank you for your work on behalf of our students.

Best,
Cathy
Representative Cathy Kipp
She/Her
Colorado House of Representatives for House District 52
Cell: 970-219-5267  Legislative office: 303-866-4569
Office: SSB, 1525 Sherman St, Denver, Room 620
Mail: 200 East Colfax, Room 307, Denver, CO  80203

marylou Smith

Jul 3, 2024, 7:45:22 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to Cathy Kipp, Pellow, Lauren, John Kefalas, Rep. Andrew Boesenecker, joannginal52, joann.gin...@coleg.gov, Cc: 'Arpi Miller', paige noon, John Kefalas, Amy Hoeven, flora teran, Isabel Docampo, Tom Rhodes, garcia_...@cde.state.co.us, Robert Zimdahl, Kristin Stephens, Boesenecker Aides, Aide Kipp
Yes, Lauren, thank you for your work on behalf of the students. And thanks to Representative Kipp and Representative Boesenecker for your detective work. Thanks Commissioner Kefalas for keeping in the loop.

Hopefully Representative Boesenecker’s meeting next week to figure out steps going forward will bear fruit. Those of us copied on this email will be very anxious to hear.

The young man I was to help register on July 1 has been contacting me to see if there have been any breakthroughs. I think that’s indicative of how this is affecting lives of our immigrants.

Best to all, MaryLou Smith