Need Your Help, Please

Tom Gonzales

Oct 26, 2021, 7:40:29 PM10/26/21
to John Kefalas, Kristin Stephens, Jody Shadduck-McNally, Sheriff Smith, Jeni Arndt, Jacki Marsh - Mayor, Wendy Koenig, mso...@timnathgov.com, hamm...@wellingtoncolorado.gov, wkar...@berthoud.org, gleb...@johnstownco.gov, prenn...@windsorgov.com, Frank Haug, Linda Hoffmann, Jeff Swoboda, Tony Van Goor, Bernard Birnbaum, Jennifer Lee, Lorenda Volker, Brian DelGrosso, Janna West Kowalski, Hunsaker Ryan - CDPHE, Jill, Lisa Kaufmann - GOVOffice

Dear Larimer County leaders,

For over 52 years the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment has worked tirelessly to provide everyone in Larimer County the opportunity for a healthy life.  A local public agency that has responded to the needs of the community during and after catastrophic floods and fire, West Nile Virus outbreaks, meningococcal outbreak, TB, waterborne outbreaks, polio, salmonella and many other public health emergencies.

But now there is a group of people (small, yet vocal) intimidating our caring public health staff for our difficult work with suppressing COVID-19. This trailer and the horrible message is sitting next to your public health department in Fort Collins.

I am asking for your help to get this removed and out of our compassionate County.  All we are trying to do is reduce COVID-19 hospitalizations on our all-ready overwhelmed hospitals.  Thus, freeing up beds for all urgent medical emergencies.

Please.

Sincerely, -Tom

image.png

John Kefalas

Oct 26, 2021, 8:01:47 PM10/26/21
to Tom Gonzales, John Kefalas, Kristin Stephens, Jody Shadduck-McNally, Sheriff Smith, Jeni Arndt, Jacki Marsh - Mayor, Wendy Koenig, mso...@timnathgov.com, Hamm...@wellingtoncolorado.gov, WKar...@berthoud.org, gleb...@johnstownco.gov, prenn...@windsorgov.com, Frank Haug, Linda Hoffmann, Jeff Swoboda, Tony Van Goor, Bernard Birnbaum, Jennifer Lee, Lorenda Volker, Brian DelGrosso, Janna West Kowalski, Hunsaker Ryan - CDPHE, Jill, Lisa Kaufmann - GOVOffice
Tom,

This trailer has been located on farm land for a long time along Hwy 1 on the way to Wellington. Whose property is this on? Thank you.

Larimer County

John Kefalas

County Commissioner, District 1

Commissioners' Office

200 W Oak St | 2nd Floor

PO Box 1190, Fort Collins, CO 80522-1190

W: (970) 498-7001

Cell:  (720) 254-7598

jkef...@larimer.org | www.larimer.org

Sheriff Smith

Oct 27, 2021, 6:54:48 AM10/27/21
to Tom Gonzales, Bernard Birnbaum, Brian DelGrosso, Frank Haug, Hunsaker Ryan - CDPHE, Jill, Jacki Marsh - Mayor, Janna West Kowalski, Jeff Swoboda, Jeni Arndt, Jennifer Lee, Jody Shadduck-McNally, John Kefalas, Kristin Stephens, Linda Hoffmann, Lisa Kaufmann - GOVOffice, Lorenda Volker, Tony Van Goor, Wendy Koenig, gleb...@johnstownco.gov, hamm...@wellingtoncolorado.gov, mso...@timnathgov.com, prenn...@windsorgov.com, wkar...@berthoud.org
Tom,

This message has raised tremendous concerns with me. You must keep in mind that the 1st Amendment was adopted to protect the free speech rights of Americans. It wasn’t written to protect speech that government officials agree with, but speech that they may disagree with.

Any efforts by government officials to silence a message that offends that, but that is not criminal in nature, is clearly a violation of the Constitutionally protected rights to free speech.

Justin

William Karspeck

Oct 29, 2021, 4:53:57 PM10/29/21
to Tom Gonzales, Jody Shadduck-McNally, Kristin Stephens, John Kefalas
Hi Tom,

I'm sorry this is happening. Definitely a demoralizing message to healthcare workers who are already stressed out. If this was in Berthoud I don't think we would or could do anything on private property. We do have some ordinances for junk and abandoned vehicles, but I don't know if they would apply to this or if yge County has similar ordinances.

What might be worth considering, if this is still an issue and concerning to the employees, would be temporary rentable fencing with a positive message located on the edge of that public (?) street. Exactly what construction contractors do when they erect a building. You could even put positive messages on it.

Thanks,

Will

Nov 2, 2021, 9:24:41 AM11/2/21
to jkef...@larimer.org, step...@co.larimer.co.us, shad...@co.larimer.co.us, tvan...@comcast.net, bernard....@uchealth.org, leeje...@yahoo.com, bdelg...@dominos-now.com

November 1, 2021

Larimer County Commissioners:

By now, you’ve certainly seen the email from Tom Gonzales, the County’s Public Health Director. And I trust you’ve seen the legitimate debate that has ensued.

It is clear that Mr. Gonzales attempted to use his government connections to quash the free speech rights of a local citizen. He clearly doesn’t understand the Constitutional limits that are placed on the government in order to protect the Natural Rights of the Citizens.

It is clear that Mr. Gonzales asked you to compromise your oath of office in order to bend the rules to remove the message on the trailer.

It is clear that Mr. Gonzales is unsuited for this office if he is so intimidated by the peaceful free speech of a private citizen.

The undersigned members of the Colorado General Assembly urge the County Commissioners to direct the Board of Health to immediately terminate Tom Gonzales as the Public Health Director. Larimer County deserves a thoughtful Director of Public Health that understands that the Rights of the Citizens do not end when his feelings are offended.

Senator Rob Woodward                     Minority Leader Hugh McKean

Senator Barb Kirkmeyer                     Representative Mike Lynch

cc: Larimer County Board of Health

photo
Rob Woodward
Colorado Senator, Senate District 15

Office: (303) 866-4853 | rob.woodw...@state.co.us

Facebook | Twitter

Nov 3, 2021, 10:04:13 AM11/3/21
to Rob Woodward, JKef...@larimer.org, step...@co.larimer.co.us, shad...@co.larimer.co.us, tvan...@comcast.net, bernard....@uchealth.org, leeje...@yahoo.com, bdelg...@dominos-now.com
November 3, 2021

Good Morning Rob,

Please the attached letter from the three commissioners in response to your letter that we received yesterday from you and your fellow legislators. Thank you, and I hope you and your family are well these days.

Larimer County

John Kefalas

County Commissioner, District 1

Commissioners' Office

200 W Oak St | 2nd Floor

PO Box 1190, Fort Collins, CO 80522-1190

W: (970) 498-7001

Cell:  (720) 254-7598

jkef...@larimer.org | www.larimer.org

2021-11-02 Woodward et al Reply.pdf