HowTo create a new CFv2 ping service from scratch

Brice Vandeputte

Sep 10, 2013, 11:26:27 AM9/10/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
hi

 as we experiment CFv2 we had to create a new service for our private cloud
 (if we are not mistaken) we didn't find a "full ready to use" how to create a new CFv2 service for a simple service like "echo" for example
 we could parse the existing services (ex. memcached, vblob, postgresql) to understand what to do but starting from scratch this was not so easy...
"Echo" service seems too light to understand the warden mechanism and we used memcached as example.

So we tried to isolate a simple warden service called "Ping" : this service run a simple ruby web server that serve a txt page.
     in this repository ping rspec tests should be fixed
      and it would be great to write a test guide too..(how to run local warden and related dependancies etc..)

We will stop cf-service-ping contributions for now but it could be a good idea to create and maintain an official cloudfoundry "ping/echo sample" contrib repository
to help CFv2 users to create new services from scratch.

Unlike "cf-services-contrib-release" this repository includes one service(only), its required dependencies(only), and much documentation as possible.

Hope this help
Regards

James Bayer

Sep 10, 2013, 11:46:05 AM9/10/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
this sounds like a very helpful contribution! thanks for doing this. i'm looking forward to taking a deeper look at it.

Thank you,

James Bayer