[announcement] New PHP Buildpack is now available

jche...@pivotal.io

Feb 12, 2015, 4:38:57 PM2/12/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On behalf of the Cloud Foundry Buildpacks team, Dan Mikusa and I are proud to announce
the release of the new PHP Buildpack.

PHP Buildpack 3.0.4 is now available for download and installation from Github[1] and
Pivotal Network. We anticipate that it will make it into cf-release in the next few
weeks. This release completely replaces the legacy buildpack[2], which was based on
the Heroku upstream.

For details of the new release, please consult the CHANGELOG[3].

## Using the new buildpack

The new buildpack can be installed or used with the standard Cloud Foundry mechanisms.
Uploading a release zip, using the `-b` CLI option or `buildpack:` keys in application
manifests will all allow you to start with the new buildpack.

## Known Issues

The new buildpack is currently incompatible with `-c` CLI option or `command:` keys
in application manifests. The Buildpacks team is currently working with Runtime to
remedy this issue[4].

## The Backstory

The new buildpack originally began life as a community buildpack authored by Dan
Mikusa. Based on community feedback, the CF Buildpacks team began investigating
adopting Dan's work in late October 2014. In early November 2014, we worked with
Dan[5] to determine the feasibility of switching to Dan's buildpack, culminating in
a recommendation that we do so.

CAB approved the decision to switch buildpacks in December 2014. The Buildpacks
team has been steadily working with Dan to add tests, add features and integrate
the new buildpack into our development and build process.

## The Future

PHP is once again a first-class member of the Buildpacks family. We have a
substantial collection of PHP-related stories in our backlog, continuing to adapt
the buildpack to our overall development infrastructure. Dan Mikusa is still active
in updating the buildpack as new versions of PHP, Apache and Nginx are released.

We are proud of our work and we look forward to receiving your feedback, issue
reports and pull requests.

Regards,

Dan & Jacques, on behalf of the Buildpacks Team.
Credits --
  Buildpacks Engineers: Rasheed, Sai To, JT, Anthony and Colin
  Product: Mark, Greg and Mike D
  Friends with PRs: Christian Stocker, Austin Hamilton, Chris Roemmich & Matthias Lee
  Shout-outs: Rick Reilly

jche...@pivotal.io

Feb 12, 2015, 4:55:51 PM2/12/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On a personal note, I want to say that working with Dan has been a pleasure, and he's shown great bravery in allowing the Foundation to take ownership of his baby.

Especially since the move comes with a bunch of pushy Pivots riding shotgun :)

Cheers,

JC.