What should one not run on Cloud Foundry?

hmalp...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 11:45:54 PM7/8/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I have been trying to run Elasticsearch - a java search engine and database - on run.pivotal.io for the last couple of weeks.

Support's answer to the current blocker was in fact that I'd be better off running it on a IaaS because it is a data-service; not an application:

Is this a definitive answer?

Elasticsearch was very close to being good enough on Cloud Foundry for my case:
- Small datasets
- Not highly available,
- S3 backups that are real-time enough; we did get to a few million records and it survives restarts.
- a handful of tenants per installation: no big deal if it fails.

In fact when I move to running ES on EC2 I have to support a big cluster for many tenants: now it must not fail.

The line between app and data-service is grey.
Take docker.io's examples: python, nodejs, redis, sshd, couchdb;

So where do we draw the line?

Thanks,
Hugues

ruben....@innovationfactory.eu

Jul 9, 2013, 3:04:58 AM7/9/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, hmalp...@gmail.com
As can be seen here Elasticsearch is a service.
CloudFoundry in my opinion is for running apps. Which is your special code which is different from my special code.
A service is a dependency is shareable. My elasticsearch is similar to your elasticearch (apart from the data in it).

Have an innovative day

Innovation Factory
De Lairessestraat 180   1075 HM Amsterdam   +31 20 7787008   www.innovationfactory.eu

Disclaimer

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Innovation Factory does not accept liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in the contents of this message, which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Innovation Factory with another party by email.