Bosh, Cloud Foundry, Riak & An Arbitrary Announcement of What I'm Working On...

Adron Hall

Jun 17, 2013, 4:29:17 PM6/17/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
...if anybody wants to collect notes, sling some code, research or otherwise jump into any of these efforts - or if you're already working on any of these things. Please let me know, I'd love to help, work together, share notes... yadda yadda blah blah etc., etc....
  • Working to get Bosh to launch Riak and also be able to manage Riak through the lifecycle that Bosh is used for. i.e. just like the rest of the system.
  • Get a reliable way to add, remove and scale Riak via Bosh or via Cloud Foundry. Working from Dr Nic & Brian McClain's work on this.
  • Get a way for the Cloud Foundry ecosystem to understand and manage distributed databases from Cloud Foundry (vs. autonomously such as how Cassandra and others are done at the moment, it'd be nice to just scale a distributed system just like the distributed nature of the DEAs etc).
  • Add to the documentation material at http://docs.cloudfoundry.com/.
  • Add the related documentation to the other sources at http://docs.basho.com/ and other distributed systems that would prospectively be added.
  • Build apps that run on Cloud Foundry and use actual distributed databases as their data store. i.e. find effective ways to make the interaction between these systems as it currently is to use Postgresql or mysql and whatever stack on the app side w/ Cloud Foundry Apps & Services.
  • Keep everything straight in my head somehow, maybe, miraculously.  ;)
  • Also will be helping org work around the Iron Foundry effort too to get Cloud Foundry to run all those Windowsy bits like .NET, SQL Server, Service Bus and the other things from the Microsoft Camp. Keeping Cloud Foundry the most interoperable PaaS System in existence!
  • Creating monitoring and log tracking tools (using distributed systems) to monitor, manage and track performance and resources within the Cloud Foundry system on a massive scale.
-Adron Hall @adron

Dr Nic Williams

Jun 17, 2013, 5:25:26 PM6/17/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Awesome!

I've had a lot of joy helping with the cf-docs recently. It's so pretty and PRs get merged quickly! (thx ScottF)

Nic
--
Dr Nic Williams
twitter @drnic

ruben....@innovationfactory.eu

Jun 18, 2013, 4:18:46 AM6/18/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On the monitoring side I had thought of creating a drop-in syslog-aggregator replacement from https://github.com/drnic/logstash-boshrelease.
Looks like the only thing that needs to be done is writhing cloudfoundry specific log filters. Because logstash is syslog compatible. http://cookbook.logstash.net/recipes/rsyslog-agent/.

Just some thoughts for what could be possible.
Next If logstash is setup this could be used to send metrics to graphite/StatD. (don't think there is a bosh-release for it already).
Maybe http://codeascraft.com/2013/06/11/introducing-kale/ could be used to detect anomalies in those metrics.
Next create a nice dashboard from the metrics and stuff with http://shopify.github.io/dashing/.

But I think the first step is setting up logstash with kibana (http://demo.logstash.net) for easy debugging.

Have an innovative day

Innovation Factory
De Lairessestraat 180   1075 HM Amsterdam   +31 20 7787008   www.innovationfactory.eu

Disclaimer

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Innovation Factory does not accept liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in the contents of this message, which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Innovation Factory with another party by email.

David Laing

Jun 18, 2013, 5:20:49 AM6/18/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
@adron,

I'm interested in getting .NET running on Cloud Foundry (either via mono - https://github.com/mrdavidlaing/stackato-buildpack-mono?) or IronFoundry

I'm also investigating integrating Elastic Search into CF for log monitoring.

Perhaps you could schedule a Google Hangout to get the ball rolling (I'm based in London UK, so currently UTC+1)
--
David Laing
Open source @ City Index - github.com/cityindex