ANNOUNCEMENT: Try Cloud Foundry

dpar...@starkandwayne.com

Jun 10, 2014, 2:33:37 PM6/10/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hello!

  We are proud to announce the availability of Try Cloud Foundry [0], a site that will setup your own instance of Cloud Foundry on Amazon Web Services. Our aim is to help Cloud Foundry newcomers get started easily and get excited about the world of PaaS. Simply provide your AWS credentials and we'll send you an email when it's completed [1]. You'll receive a link that provides "hello world"-style example programs in Java, Ruby, and Node.js so you can see Cloud Foundry running in minutes.

Cheers -
The Stark and Wayne team

[0] https://trycf.starkandwayne.com/
[1] We only use your credentials while installing Cloud Foundry, and they are deleted when it's completed.

http://starkandwayne.com

James Bayer

Jun 10, 2014, 2:41:11 PM6/10/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
wow, this looks fantastic S&W team! thanks for sharing!

does this cover upgrade scenarios post initial setup by dropping down into bosh, etc?

Thank you,

James Bayer

Dave Parfitt

Jun 10, 2014, 4:10:03 PM6/10/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks, James!

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM, James Bayer <jba...@gopivotal.com> wrote:
> wow, this looks fantastic S&W team! thanks for sharing!
>
> does this cover upgrade scenarios post initial setup by dropping down into
> bosh, etc?

No, it does not. It's geared towards experimentation.

--
Dave Parfitt
http://starkandwayne.com

Ferran Rodenas

Jun 10, 2014, 4:34:52 PM6/10/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Awesome! Congrats!

- Ferdy

Koper, Dies

Jun 10, 2014, 11:42:36 PM6/10/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Awesome!

I tried it out, it completed in 16 minutes with no issues!

I’ve sent some feedback to your trycf e-mail address.

Cheers,

Dies Koper

Wayne E. Seguin

Jun 11, 2014, 1:08:33 AM6/11/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks for the feedback Dies, much appreciated!

Cornelia Davis

Jun 11, 2014, 1:10:32 AM6/11/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Nicholas Calugar

Jun 11, 2014, 12:13:37 PM6/11/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Good stuff!!

FYI - I saw this on commute to work and checked out the site on my mobile and the SW logo floats over all the content.

Anyway, looking forward to trying later today!

shawn....@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2014, 4:02:11 PM6/11/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Tried this out and it works great. I am just curious about IDE integration. I tried to add the API URL as a Cloud Foundry Account in Eclipse but it doesn't want to work. When I go to "Validate Account" I get the following error:

Client error: Error performing Cloud Foundry operation: I/O error on GET request for "https://api.<aws ip>.xip.io/info":Certificate for <api.<aws ip>.xip.io> doesn't contain CN or DNS subjectAlt; nested exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Certificate for <api.<aws ip>.xip.io> doesn't contain CN or DNS subjectAlt.

Any way to get around this issue?

Wayne E. Seguin

Jun 13, 2014, 10:18:34 AM6/13/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Scott,

Trycf does not deploy with official SSL certs, self-signed only, here is another thread discussing working around this... hopefully it helps?

Dave Parfitt

Jun 13, 2014, 1:55:29 PM6/13/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hello -

Thanks for the feedback! We've made several fixes cf pushed the
latest out for the world to use. Please contact us at
tr...@starkandwayne.com with any additional feedback.

Cheers -
Dave
> --

Dave Parfitt
http://starkandwayne.com

shawn....@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2014, 3:11:05 PM6/13/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
What is the easiest way to update the ssh key for the instance that is created? I see that the instance is associated with the trycf key pair. There is a workaround such that I can get SSH access to the box (unmounting and remounting EBS volume and then changing keys) but I was wondering if there is a more convenient way to get access to the instance.

Thanks

Wayne E. Seguin

Jun 24, 2014, 9:15:29 AM6/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
The latest version of trycf now sends you the keypair it generated. Hopefully this addresses the question?

Dave Syer

Jul 15, 2014, 12:25:19 PM7/15/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On 24/06/14 14:15, Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
> The latest version of trycf now sends you the keypair it generated.
> Hopefully this addresses the question?

It only sends the private key, and there's a secret so you can't
actually ssh with it unless you have the secret. Or am I missing something?

--
Dave Syer
ds...@gopivotal.com

lng...@starkandwayne.com

Jul 15, 2014, 12:34:34 PM7/15/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
There should be no secret. Are you sshing via ssh -i trycf.pem ubuntu@<elastic_ip>? Also pem file need chmod 600 trycf.pem. Let me know if that helps.

Long

Dave Syer

Jul 15, 2014, 12:59:58 PM7/15/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On 15/07/14 17:34, lng...@starkandwayne.com wrote:
> Are you sshing via ssh -i trycf.pem ubuntu@<elastic_ip>? Also pem file
> need chmod 600 trycf.pem

Yes, that works. Thanks for detailed steps.

Another question (maybe an FAQ but not on the website): I deployed a few
apps and the disk filled up (file system / is 100% full, nearly all in
/opt/bosh), so the instance died and I could not resurrect it. Any ideas
on strategies for prolonging the life of the system?

--
Dave Syer
ds...@gopivotal.com

Wayne E. Seguin

Jul 15, 2014, 1:11:43 PM7/15/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Do we need to perhaps grow the rootfs? I recall another thread on bosh mailing lists about such a thing.

Gowri LN

Jul 16, 2014, 4:53:59 AM7/16/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, dpar...@starkandwayne.com
Hi,

I would like to try  Try Cloud Foundry and I wanted to know what kind of account I should have in AWS ? What roles/privilages should I have in my AWS account ?

Thanks,
Gowri

Wayne E. Seguin

Jul 16, 2014, 8:54:31 AM7/16/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Gowri!

You need an account which has access to EC2 in order to launch instances and create elastic IPs.

Once you have that generate aws key/secret for this account and you can use those + your email on the trycf site where it will spin up a single instance with CF running for you to poke around with and see what's running / push an app etc...

Dr Nic Williams

Jul 16, 2014, 9:43:09 AM7/16/14
to Gowri LN, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, dpar...@starkandwayne.com
Good question. Off the top of my head your AWS account needs to be able to:

* create EC2 instance
* create security group
* create elastic IP

Gowri LN

Jul 17, 2014, 5:01:28 AM7/17/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, gowri...@gmail.com, dpar...@starkandwayne.com, dr...@starkandwayne.com
Hi Dr Nic and Wayne E Seguin,

Thanks for the information. I will try Cloud Foundry as soon as possible :)