Third party load balancer

Zac

Jan 13, 2015, 8:43:44 PM1/13/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi all,

We have deployed CF using a third party load balancer. The HAProxy has been removed from the equation entirely. The LB points directly to the Router. The CF deployments are failing when there is no traffic flowing through the LB for 30 seconds. We have tailed the logs (cf log "app name") and that will also disconnect after 30 seconds. My question is what are the idea timeout parameters for a third party load balancer when using CF.

James Bayer

Jan 14, 2015, 4:00:38 AM1/14/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
i believe the default router timeout is set to either 300 secs or 1500 secs, i can't remember which. you probably have to up your load balancer timeout to match.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Zac <zne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

We have deployed CF using a third party load balancer. The HAProxy has been removed from the equation entirely. The LB points directly to the Router. The CF deployments are failing when there is no traffic flowing through the LB for 30 seconds. We have tailed the logs (cf log "app name") and that will also disconnect after 30 seconds. My question is what are the idea timeout parameters for a third party load balancer when using CF.

Thank you,

James Bayer

Dieu Cao

Jan 14, 2015, 11:38:13 AM1/14/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
The configuration we use for HAProxy can be found here [1]
Most of this should be replicated for an external load balancer and is a good starting point.

-Dieu
CF Runtime PM

chan...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2015, 2:28:38 PM1/16/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I suspect that your load balancer does not properly handle websockets and the connection fails when the protocol switches from http to websockets. We had the exact same symptoms (timeouts at 30 seconds) and that ended up being the cause.

-- Chan

Zachary Neria

Jan 16, 2015, 3:24:29 PM1/16/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
That’s the exact problem. I you and I are both working on the same solution Channing =)

Channing Benson

Jan 16, 2015, 4:34:27 PM1/16/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
That's so funny. I replied before noticing who the original poster was, all the time thinking "Wow, what a coincidence."

Doh!