Warden problem: Operation not permitted - setrlimit

Harry Zhang

Apr 28, 2014, 2:02:41 AM4/28/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
The kernel version:
Linux 6ed7703084f9 3.2.0-57-generic #87-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 21:35:10 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The error message in /var/vcap/sys/log/warden/warden.stderr.log :

Tasks: TOP => warden:start
rake aborted!
Operation not permitted - setrlimit

BTW, my Cloud Foundry is installed by nisebosh.

I don't know where to begin to fix this problem... Any tips about that?

Iwasaki Yudai

Apr 28, 2014, 3:53:18 AM4/28/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
What release are you using? If you are using 13.10 or later, I assume you need to enable the memsw feature. A comment in the cf_nise_installer might be helpful[1].

NiseBOSH installs assets to /var/vcap, so you can find something helpful like config files and logs in it.

Harry Zhang

Apr 28, 2014, 5:02:39 AM4/28/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.

Things become a bit wired: I changed rlimit from  32768 to 1024 in warden/warden/lib/warden/server.rb and it works ... but it seems there's actually permission problem.

The new error is:

iptables v1.4.12: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded

So I'm wondering what user is warden running at?