delete buildpack error

Tina Zhang

Jul 7, 2014, 7:14:10 PM7/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

I have created new buildpack with
cf create-buildpack oracle_jre java-buildpack-offline-a95ef91.zip 1 --enable

But I can not delete buildpack, delete buildpack always gives error

cf delete-buildpack oracle_jre

Are you sure you want to delete the buildpack oracle_jre ? yes

Deleting buildpack oracle_jre...

FAILED

Error deleting buildpack oracle_jre

Error: timed out waiting for async job 'http://xxxxx/v2/jobs/f21696d1-6ed4-4fd0-bd3c-808f7afb657f' to finish

Delete buildpack 2nd time give similar error but different job guid. Delete 3rd time give error with another async job guid ...

Job f21696d1-6ed4-4fd0-bd3c-808f7afb657f is in queue but never got executed.

$ cf curl /v2/jobs/f21696d1-6ed4-4fd0-bd3c-808f7afb657f

{

  "metadata": {

    "guid": "f21696d1-6ed4-4fd0-bd3c-808f7afb657f",

    "created_at": "2014-07-07T20:36:40+00:00",

    "url": "/v2/jobs/f21696d1-6ed4-4fd0-bd3c-808f7afb657f"

 },

  "entity": {

    "guid": "f21696d1-6ed4-4fd0-bd3c-808f7afb657f",

    "status": "queued"

  }

}

Any suggestion on how to delete the buildpack?

Thanks.

dlieb...@pivotallabs.com

Jul 7, 2014, 7:46:02 PM7/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

What version of the CLI and what version of CF are you using?

What is the output of 'cf buildpacks'

Thanks

Dave and Dan
CF Community Pair
Message has been deleted

Tina Zhang

Jul 7, 2014, 8:06:29 PM7/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, dlieb...@pivotallabs.com
./cf -version
 6.0.2-0bba99f

$ ./cf buildpacks
Getting buildpacks...

buildpack    position   enabled   locked   filename
oracle_jre   1          true

dlieb...@pivotallabs.com

Jul 7, 2014, 8:30:47 PM7/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, dlieb...@pivotallabs.com
Can you reproduce the problem with the latest version of the cli? Also, what version of CF are you deploying to?

Thanks

Dave and Dan
CF Community Pair

xiangy...@emc.com

Jul 7, 2014, 10:39:22 PM7/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, dlieb...@pivotallabs.com
We used CLI v6.2.0 and CF version is 158. But we still get the same timeout error when deleting buildpack.

James Bayer

Jul 8, 2014, 12:33:18 AM7/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, Dave Liebreich
i recommend using:
CF_TRACE=true

on the CLI before trying the delete.

you may also find the relevant cloud controller logs helpful for troubleshooting for when you are attempting to delete the buildpack. i'm not sure if it's an async worker type of task or not, but looking at the cloud controller logs should show that part to you as well if it is.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM, <xiangy...@emc.com> wrote:
We used CLI v6.2.0 and CF version is 158. But we still get the same timeout error when deleting buildpack.

Thank you,

James Bayer

wangbo

Jul 8, 2014, 12:40:37 AM7/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
another way, you should make sure the cloud_controller_work(which handles the delay_jobs queue) works well

在 2014年7月8日星期二UTC+8上午7时14分10秒,Tina Zhang写道:

Tina Zhang

Jul 8, 2014, 3:41:34 AM7/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
We are using cf-158.

Is cloud_controller_work available for cf-158? If so, can you give example of how to setup this cloud controller?

wangbo

Jul 8, 2014, 3:48:59 AM7/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
sorry, i haven't remembered which cf version has seperated the cc and cc_work, if cf-158 haven't cc_work, you can check the log of cc(James Bayer said before)

在 2014年7月8日星期二UTC+8下午3时41分34秒,Tina Zhang写道:

Tina Zhang

Jul 8, 2014, 12:54:08 PM7/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
If we are using

cf curl /v2/buildpacks/63a2d890-f569-4f63-bd65-a91faa2d895e?aysnc=false –X ‘DELETE’

to delete buildpack, async job is still in the queue. Can this approach cause any issue?

James Bayer

Jul 8, 2014, 1:30:24 PM7/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
tina,

unfortunately v158 is relatively older and we have fixed many bugs relating to buildpacks in the meantime, included several around deleting buildpacks. our recommendation is to upgrade to the latest cf-release, which is currently v173.

if you cannot do that, then you *could* try a "break the warranty" kind of procedure like going into the cloud controller database and removing the row in the buildpacks table that you are trying to delete. hopefully this simply leaves an orphan blob in the blob store and doesn't have any other adverse side-effects. we have not tried this and do not recommend this. use it if you have no other options.