Mapping all subdomains of a domain to one application

ow...@anynines.com

Jan 10, 2014, 7:30:12 AM1/10/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi all,

After having a look into the Cloud Controller repo I concluded that something like this is not possible? is that right?

  cf map --app 'myapp' --domain 'example.com' --host '*'

The intend of this command is to route all subdomains like 'abc.example.com', 'another.example.com', ... to the same application. Are there some plans to realize this as a feature?

Best,
Oliver

Scott Truitt

Jan 10, 2014, 2:47:55 PM1/10/14
to vcap-dev
Hi Oliver,

In gcf, what will soon be v6 of the cf CLI, the map-route command takes an app and domain with an optional hostname: gcf map-route APP DOMAIN [-n HOSTNAME]

I've added a story to look at accepting an * for the hostname: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/63637844

Scott

James Bayer

Jan 12, 2014, 1:21:50 AM1/12/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
wildcard routes have been requested previously, but cloud foundry has not implemented that capability yet. anything you can share about your specific use case may help mark kropf understand all the scenarios users want this for and how to prioritize a request like this versus other enhancements.
--
Thank you,

James Bayer

ow...@anynines.com

Jan 13, 2014, 7:51:47 AM1/13/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, ow...@anynines.com
Use-Case:

We have a multitenancy application and we want to make the app accessible trough a dedicated subdomain for each tenant (tenant ~ customer of our application). for example:

and so on...

Each of these routes should point to the same application and the application should be able to recognize from which route it was accessed (to recognize which customer is accessing the app).

In case we gain a new customer I don't want to map a new route manually.