Network of Docker in Deigo enviroment

Harry Zhang

Oct 14, 2014, 2:41:35 AM10/14/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

I noticed the fatanstic demo of Docker in Diego posted on http://thenewstack.io/docker-on-diego-cloud-foundrys-new-elastic-runtime/ , and I found a statement like below:

It will run in a Warden container. Diego does not run Docker containers. It has an interface to run compatible images in Warden containers.

So I have two concerns of this approch:

1. Network configuration of this case
    We use our own network bridge and pipework in production container env, so I'm really interested in what's the network like in Docker+Warden+Diego world?
2. Limitations of running Docker inside Warden
    I really don't wanna change single line of my code inside the Docker, but is it possible in this "container in container" scenary?

James Bayer

Oct 14, 2014, 9:48:46 AM10/14/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Thank you,

James Bayer

James Bayer

Oct 14, 2014, 10:50:16 AM10/14/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
more inline now that i have more time...

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:48 AM, James Bayer <jba...@pivotal.io> wrote:

and let us know if you still have questions.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Harry Zhang <res...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I noticed the fatanstic demo of Docker in Diego posted on http://thenewstack.io/docker-on-diego-cloud-foundrys-new-elastic-runtime/ , and I found a statement like below:

It will run in a Warden container. Diego does not run Docker containers. It has an interface to run compatible images in Warden containers.

So I have two concerns of this approch:

1. Network configuration of this case
    We use our own network bridge and pipework in production container env, so I'm really interested in what's the network like in Docker+Warden+Diego world?

in the first iteration we're only supporting a single inbound http port just like today's buildpack applications. the only difference between the apps will be one is a docker image reference and the other is a tgz blob that is the output of a buildpack staging process. both still run in warden containers. diego will not actually use the docker executable to run the docker image, but rather pull the docker image and the referenced layers from the referenced registry using docker libraries and once the full image is available on the diego cell, then setup the container, put the docker image inside of it and issue the start command with warden.

2. Limitations of running Docker inside Warden
    I really don't wanna change single line of my code inside the Docker, but is it possible in this "container in container" scenary?

if the only inbound port you receive is http, then there likely isn't any change. if you're relying on docker exe features like container linking, mounting volumes, etc then those docker images are likely not going to work as-is. you should look at the docker-boshrelease for docker images that need all of the docker exe features: https://github.com/cf-platform-eng/docker-boshrelease

Thank you,

James Bayer

Harry Zhang

Oct 15, 2014, 4:35:12 AM10/15/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Now I think I got the Docker idea in Diego: it's runtime support for Docker container! And the real value here is that developers can push anything they like by a Docker image and serve outside world thru Router. For example, push my MySQL Docker image to CF.