Where to start

michael.g...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 5:45:31 AM2/4/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hello everyone,

 I'm an IT security student and I'm interested to know more of this project and maybe write my Master Degree thesis on it.

I did not found enough informations about Cloudfoundry on the official website, there is some docs on "how to use it", "how to develop in it" but not so much on "how it works".

I asked some more specific question here:

I would also like to learn how to create a new service, like a mysql database and how to manage the communication of the application to it.

Where can I find more documentation on these matters? Do it exist?

Thank you for your time and don't hesitate to ask me if you don't understand my questions.

Best regards,
Michael

michael.g...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 6:05:40 AM2/4/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I forgot to mention it:

I would like to work on a private implementation of cf, so on a virtual IaaS like Openstack o similar.
That's because I'd like to understand how it works and how to create and provide services!

Daniel Mikusa

Feb 4, 2015, 8:02:39 AM2/4/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:45 AM, <michael.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

 I'm an IT security student and I'm interested to know more of this project and maybe write my Master Degree thesis on it.

I did not found enough informations about Cloudfoundry on the official website, there is some docs on "how to use it", "how to develop in it" but not so much on "how it works".

I asked some more specific question here:

I posted answers there.

I would also like to learn how to create a new service, like a mysql database and how to manage the communication of the application to it.

With Cloud Foundry, you can create services using the `cf` command line tool.  The `cf marketplace` command will list all of the service providers available and the plans they offer.  With that data, you can run `cf create-service` to create your service.

If you've never done this before, I'd suggest trying it out on a public Cloud Foundry like PWS or Bluemix.  They both have good marketplaces with lots of services available.

If you install something like bosh-lite or your own Cloud Foundry then you're also responsible for installing the services that would appear in the marketplace.  It's more work and will make it harder for you to get started.

Where can I find more documentation on these matters? Do it exist?

This covers using cf to create services and bind them to your app.

If you haven't use `cf` before, you'll probably also want to read the Getting Started guide.

Dan

Thank you for your time and don't hesitate to ask me if you don't understand my questions.

Best regards,
Michael

Daniel Mikusa

Feb 4, 2015, 8:07:52 AM2/4/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I'd suggest starting with a public Cloud Foundry provider first.  Most have free trials and it'll get you familiar with the basics of pushing an app, using services and build packs.

After your comfortable with the basics, try running bosh-lite, which will run comfortably on most laptops.

Or if you have access to AWS, vSphere or OpenStack you could deploy there.  Instructions for the various IaaS providers can be found under the "Running Cloud Foundry" column on docs.cloudfoundry.org.

Dan

michael.g...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2015, 6:01:22 AM2/5/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, dmi...@pivotal.io
Dear Daniel,

many thanks for your help.

I'm looking at the pivotal deploy to get familiar with this world

My goal is to be able to:
-deploy cloudfoundry on my own IaaS with BOSH
-create a service (so not by selecting it on a marketplace, but provide it to the marketplace) a simple SQL database for example
Where can I start studing at?

-I would like to monitor the application deployed! like with the NewRelic web portal (it isnt open source so i cannot deploy it in my cloud right?)
are there some free alternatives?

The most important thing for me is to finally be able to track where and how the datas of the deployed application will move,
so I need to know (from the app I think, like the other metrics I suppose, but you can suggest other methods) there the app is (lets suppose there
are multiple DEAs deployed.

So:

-You said that with BOSH i can scale the DEAs so I can add another VM in IaaS that can take deployed apps, what I need to do for doing that? just
say BOSH to add another DEA node and CloudFoundry will see that and balance the load between the nodes without any downtime?

-Do cloudfoundry have its own web GUi like pivotal? or the only way to have one in 'my own cloud' is to develop it from scratch?

-The concept of services isnt clear for me, read this example:
I find a SQL DB service on the marketplace, i create a service called 'myDB' from it.

I deploy two application( 'A' and 'B') that just have a html form to execute queries on a database.

I bind both of them on the 'myDB'

As i see, if I insert some data from app 'A' i can't reach it from app 'B'.

Here cames my 2 questions:

- how can I manage to both of the apps uses the same database?

- are the different databases on the same 'Warden Box' that contains the myDb service?
if yes, what if i would like to run the databases on different 'boxes'? I just have to create another service called 'myDb2'?

Thank you again for your time!!

Daniel Mikusa

Feb 5, 2015, 11:42:33 AM2/5/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmi...@pivotal.io> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 6:01 AM, <michael.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Daniel,

many thanks for your help.

I'm looking at the pivotal deploy to get familiar with this world

My goal is to be able to:
-deploy cloudfoundry on my own IaaS with BOSH
-create a service (so not by selecting it on a marketplace, but provide it to the marketplace) a simple SQL database for example
Where can I start studing at?

See the "Custom Services" section of the docs here:   http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/

A good example to start with might be the self proclaimed "World's Simplest Service Broker.

There are other examples on Github here.

-I would like to monitor the application deployed! like with the NewRelic web portal (it isnt open source so i cannot deploy it in my cloud right?)
are there some free alternatives?

My understanding is that you can use NewRelic as long as your CF environment has a connection to the Internet.  NewRelic installs along side your application and reports data out to their portal on the public Internet.  As long the NR agent can report data out, it should work.

There are alternatives, but I'm struggling to come up with an open source one.  Maybe someone else might know of an open source alternative.

The most important thing for me is to finally be able to track where and how the datas of the deployed application will move,
so I need to know (from the app I think, like the other metrics I suppose, but you can suggest other methods) there the app is (lets suppose there
are multiple DEAs deployed.

So:

-You said that with BOSH i can scale the DEAs so I can add another VM in IaaS that can take deployed apps, what I need to do for doing that? just
say BOSH to add another DEA node and CloudFoundry will see that and balance the load between the nodes without any downtime?

-Do cloudfoundry have its own web GUi like pivotal? or the only way to have one in 'my own cloud' is to develop it from scratch?

The developer console that Pivotal uses isn't open source.  I'm not sure what's out there in the open source space for GUI's.  Someone else might be able to comment on this.

-The concept of services isnt clear for me, read this example:
I find a SQL DB service on the marketplace, i create a service called 'myDB' from it.

I deploy two application( 'A' and 'B') that just have a html form to execute queries on a database.

I bind both of them on the 'myDB'

As i see, if I insert some data from app 'A' i can't reach it from app 'B'.

You should be able to reach it from both apps.  The same db instance is bound to both apps, so you're looking at the same database.

Here cames my 2 questions:

- how can I manage to both of the apps uses the same database?

It's not clear from your example what's happening, but if you create one instance and bind that to two apps they'll both be looking at the same database.  Maybe try using PHPMyAdmin instead of your test app.  There's an example for easily deploying that to CF here.

Just give different names to cf push.

Ex:

  cf push phpmyadmin-1
  cf push phpmyadmin-2

- are the different databases on the same 'Warden Box' that contains the myDb service?

The service is completely external to CF.  As far as CF is concerned, the service is a blackbox.  It's provisioned through the service broker API and your app talks over the service's native protocol.  Those are really the only restrictions CF puts on things.

if yes, what if i would like to run the databases on different 'boxes'? I just have to create another service called 'myDb2'?

How are your running your services?

Dan