App making https request to an external machine timing out

Maaz Khan

Oct 21, 2013, 2:03:55 PM10/21/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

I am running an app which do authentication against AD outside Cloud foundry. The request is in "https".
I have "https" turned off from everywhere possible (DEA, UAA...) Does it affect an app making "https" request to an external source?

The same thing is working in Cloud Foundry V1.

I played around with warden config and have added the external network in the allowed section of networks for warden but still its not working
dea_next:
    memory_mb: 100000
    memory_overcommit_factor: 4
    disk_mb: 32768
    disk_overcommit_factor: 4
    num_instances: 256
    directory_server_protocol: http
    allow_networks:
    - 10.8.101.0/24

As mentioned I have "http" protocol everywhere, but my assumption is that it shouldn't affect "https" request done by an app to an external source as long as the extenal network is allowed.

Thanks for any help!
Maaz

Maaz Khan

Oct 21, 2013, 4:16:01 PM10/21/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Update: Issue resolved

In CF V1 since all the apps were bound to DEA VM rather than the warden container so adding the host entry in /etc/hosts in DEA worked, but since in V2 each app is running in the warden container so I had to change the /etc/hosts file inside the container to resolve the URL.

Maaz

David Laing

Oct 21, 2013, 4:32:16 PM10/21/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
A trick I sometimes use is to set up my public DNS names to resolve to an internal IP address.

This would prevent you having to manually update the /etc/hosts file everywhere.

David Laing
Open source @ City Index - github.com/cityindex
http://davidlaing.com
Twitter: @davidlaing