apt-get install in application warden container?

Cornelia Davis

Jan 3, 2014, 3:31:19 PM1/3/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi all.

I am trying to install something into the warden container that will run my application - so far I am trying to do so through a .profile.d script. The issue is that these scripts are run as the "vcap" user and in order to run apt-get I need to be root.  I've chatted with Scott Frederick (who knows buildpacks well) and he has said that the "compile" script of the buildpack also executes as "vcap" so I'm not sure that going down the buildpack path will be fruitful.  I'm thinking about customizing the rootfs of the warden container.

Anyone solve this problem yet?

Thanks,
Cornelia

Daniel Mikusa

Jan 3, 2014, 4:08:46 PM1/3/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I saw these Heroku build packs the other day and have been meaning to try them. If they are compatible with CF, perhaps they would offer a solution.

https://github.com/fabiokung/heroku-buildpack-fakesu
https://github.com/gabrielfalcao/heroku-buildpack-aptitude

Dan
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vcap-dev+u...@cloudfoundry.org.

James Bayer

Jan 4, 2014, 1:11:07 AM1/4/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
cornelia, is there a reason that a buildpack can't either compile what you need or download a prebuilt binary of it? does it change often?
--
Thank you,

James Bayer

Cornelia Davis

Jan 6, 2014, 11:20:28 AM1/6/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I'm trying to install an NFS client and the only installation instructions I've found for nfs-common are via apt-get install.  Happy to be pointed in another direction on this specific case, but I think the general requirement remains.

Dr Nic Williams

Jan 6, 2014, 2:16:35 PM1/6/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I think NFS client also requires root priv to run; unrelated to how it's installed :(