Better understanding, through CF project descriptions

Andy Piper

Feb 28, 2014, 9:50:39 AM2/28/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks again to the ActiveState guys for their excellent summary of the recent CAB call - sorry to miss it (again) due to travel etc.

One thing that caught my attention... well OK, everything caught my attention, and was super interesting, but... one intriguing thing was the discussion on component naming, and (related) the new entries to the Incubator.

This led me to have a little dig into the cloudfoundry-incubator org on GH and I learned about gems like these:

"executor - he who executes" (README.md "It's time to play the game")
"file-server - Bob Loblaw's file server"

etc.

I'm a long-time OSS guy and I'm not against in-jokes and fun references in commit messages, readmes etc! However I have to ask, who are these descriptions aimed at - certainly they don't make it any easier for me to understand what these components are, where they fit, how to use or contribute to them, etc.

So, I guess this is a plea to make things a little more clear in repo descriptions and in READMEs, what all of the projects are about. There's a potentially-intimidating number of repos that make up the overall CF ecosystem now and as components get re-written or replaced, new projects come on-board, etc, it is helpful to be able to understand, at a glance, what fits in where.

Thanks! :-)

Patrick Mueller

Feb 28, 2014, 6:07:56 PM2/28/14
to vcap-dev
+1

As a further example, this commit comment in WebKit [1] went viral recently, and a lot of people didn't seem to realize it was in-joke.  Good reminder for me to try to keep the snark out of my own code and comments.  It's hard sometimes :-)

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Andy Piper

Mar 3, 2014, 10:30:55 AM3/3/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
In the absence of further comment here (so far), I'm going to start opening an issue against every CF project I find that doesn't have a README (minimum) that provides a good hint as to what the project is about, and reference this post...

Christopher Ferris

Mar 3, 2014, 4:24:10 PM3/3/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
+1