Cloud Foundry Developer Hangout

Mark Rushakoff

Jul 10, 2013, 11:14:16 AM7/10/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi all,

We're thinking about having a Cloud Foundry developer hangout (probably using Hangouts on Air), where we have some of the core committers on Cloud Foundry answer questions from the community.  These would be questions about the direction of the codebase, our development process, etc., and explicitly NOT technical support questions.

Would anyone from the community be interested in something like this?  Do you have any particular questions you'd like us to answer in a hangout format?

Please reply to this thread so we can gauge interest before we commit to doing the hangout.

Thanks!
Mark

Dr Nic Williams

Jul 10, 2013, 11:20:30 AM7/10/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hey Mark, this sounds great. Will this also be a forum for Pivotal PMs & developers to ask external CF developers about our development plans and our development processes, and how we can support each other? That is, a discussion between peer developers. Or is that a different hangout idea?

Nic
--
Dr Nic Williams
twitter @drnic

Mike Youngstrom

Jul 10, 2013, 12:01:55 PM7/10/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I think this is a great idea!  Though personally I think I'm less interested a dialog type of format and would be more interested in technical presentations about loose plans for future direction of the codebase of various components or development processes with time for questions and dialog at the end.

David Laing

Jul 10, 2013, 7:18:07 PM7/10/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Count me in
--
David Laing
Open source @ City Index - github.com/cityindex

ruben....@innovationfactory.eu

Jul 11, 2013, 2:33:06 AM7/11/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Sound like a great idea. Would really be interested in hearing about the plans for services (heard some rumors about a v3). Sharing stuff like that helps external development efforts to focus on the right things.

Vincent Feng

Jul 11, 2013, 6:53:10 AM7/11/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Great! Any solution for HA? I have deployed CF with BOSH but each component has one or two instances, how can I create a cluster for CC, DEA etc..

Have an innovative day

Innovation Factory
De Lairessestraat 180   1075 HM Amsterdam   +31 20 7787008   www.innovationfactory.eu

Disclaimer

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Innovation Factory does not accept liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in the contents of this message, which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Innovation Factory with another party by email.

Andy Piper

Jul 11, 2013, 9:59:51 AM7/11/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, da...@davidlaing.com
Me too - hopefully these can be setup at times that are not too painful for Europeans, or be cycled through different times for different geos in different months?

Mark Rushakoff

Jul 11, 2013, 6:39:53 PM7/11/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Okay, so let me recap the requests I've heard in this thread:

* Have an open discussion with community devs about how we can collaborate better
* Technical presentations on future directions of existing components or development processes, not a dialog (but leave time for questions)

The open discussion is definitely a lot less prep time on our end.  If we go that way, we'll definitely need both product managers and engineers present (getting PMs is slightly harder to schedule, but definitely doable).

Regarding Andy's point about time: our typical working hours would let us start as early as 9:30 AM PST / 4:30 PM UTC and we would have to finish as late as 6:00 PM PST / 1:00 AM UTC.  If we make this a regular thing, we could certainly alternate between local morning and afternoon hangouts to be fair to people in other time zones.

I'll run things by the team and report back here soon.  Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

Mark

Guillaume Berche

Jul 12, 2013, 4:36:03 AM7/12/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Sorry for late reply. I'd be interested in joining as well. I have interests in the
- tests aspects of CF and its buildpacks [1]: evolution of yeti, sharing of test results following migration to travis (BVT/yeti results used to be in ci.cloudfoundry.org), load && stress/recovery testing.
- General product direction w.r.t. to the private edition and ease of cloudbursting from private to public:
* access to enterprise network (similar to deprecated GAE SDC[2][3], WSO2 CloudGateway[4] or VPC SW VPN[5], spiped[6]), gorouter [8]
* ability to have private services being deployed privately on public endpoints (similar to market place but scoped/rescritec to my org) [7]

Thanks,

Guillaume.

[1] https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!topic/vcap-dev/0rW_AeqqPMA
[2] https://developers.google.com/secure-data-connector/docs/1.3/tutorials/appengine?hl=fr
[3] [https://developers.google.com/secure-data-connector/docs/1.3/config?hl=fr
[4] http://wso2.com/library/tutorials/2012/09/introducing-wso2-cloud-gateway
[5] http://aws.amazon.com/vpc/faqs/#C5
[6] https://github.com/halorgium/heroku-spiped
[7] https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!topicsearchin/vcap-dev/authorname$3Aberche/vcap-dev/3f7PaPSjP14
[8] https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!topicsearchin/vcap-dev/authorname$3Aberche/vcap-dev/mMZHraj2hBY

Christopher Ferris

Jul 26, 2013, 8:17:33 PM7/26/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I wanted to weigh in on this at the time, but... well, that might have spoiled the news this week;-)

I think that this is a great idea. Any updates on when we might begin holding regular hangouts?

I'd think that an open discussion on how we might all better collaborate would be a great starting
conversation.

Chris