New AWS Accounts come with default VPC

bar.w...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2014, 11:05:53 AM1/27/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I am getting my feet wet with installing and setting up CF in AWS, and recently created a new AWS account. New accounts automatically have a VPC set up.
I have been following the deployment steps from the cloudfoundry site, and when I build a Bosh CLI workstation within the default VPC, the bosh create aws command, it fails since it attempts to delete the default DHCPoption set.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

James Bayer

Jan 28, 2014, 2:10:17 AM1/28/14
to bosh-users
bar, i've ask the bosh eng team about this. i haven't come across this before, but if you track it down on your own, let us know so we can fix the docs.

Thank you,

James Bayer

Matthew Kocher

Jan 28, 2014, 1:14:57 PM1/28/14
to bosh-users
It's not a good idea to use the default VPC for bosh deployments - it has special properties that make it more like ec2 classic that you will lose if you ever delete it.

Bar Wiegman

Jan 29, 2014, 8:09:12 AM1/29/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I solved this by deleting the default VPC that is created by AWS. It warns you that you need to contact AWS support to recreate it. Since Bosh sets up it's own VPC at the start to create everything, having the AWS default VPC does not matter. Also, I built my Bosh CLI station outside of the VPC (...actually built it on a VM on my laptop).