Is bosh support the openstack-havana?

AliBaba

Nov 21, 2013, 10:14:07 PM11/21/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi guys,is anybody deploy micro bosh or bosh on openstack havana successfully?

I tried to deploy micro bosh on openstack havana but failed  although I known that "Note that only Folsom and Grizzly OpenStack releases are supported"  from CloudFoundry docs,because I thought that the API was nothing diffent between openstack gtizzly and havana

Yet for all that,issue came when deployed micro bosh,no errors and no response:
Deploying new micro BOSH instance `microbosh-openstack/micro_bosh.yml' to `https://microbosh-openstack:25555' (type 'yes' to continue): yes

Verifying stemcell...
File exists and readable                                     OK
Verifying tarball...
Read tarball                                                 OK
Manifest exists                                              OK
Stemcell image file                                          OK
Stemcell properties                                          OK

Stemcell info
-------------
Name:    bosh-openstack-kvm-ubuntu
Version: 1381

Deploy Micro BOSH
  unpacking stemcell (00:00:03)
Uploading stemcell                  |oo                      | 1/11 01:23:13  ETA: --:--:--

Dr Nic Williams

Nov 22, 2013, 12:23:44 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Perhaps Havana hadn't been released when those docs were written; and were probably meant to scope it to "recent" OpenStack and not older versions.  Glad to know all is well! (I've seen it work on Havana too). Perhaps can you PR the docs with the good news?

Ferran Rodenas

Nov 22, 2013, 1:42:32 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I did a quick basic test using devstack some weeks ago, but never had time/resources to use a bigger environment to test a full CF deployment. What problem did you encountered? Is the stemcell upload process stucked?

- Ferdy

AliBaba

Nov 22, 2013, 3:23:59 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Yes!
Process was stucked,I can see the image on the openstack dashboard but status of it was saving always like the picture below:

在 2013年11月22日星期五UTC+8下午2时42分32秒,ferdy写道:

Ferran Rodenas

Nov 22, 2013, 3:35:11 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Have you tried to upload the image manually via Glance CLI? Just to check if problem is on the Bosh or in the OpenStack side. You can untar the stemcell archive, you'll see an 'image' file, if you untar that file, you'll get a 'root.img' file, that's the real image to upload to OpenStack, it's a QCOW2/BARE image.

- Ferdy

AliBaba

Nov 22, 2013, 3:50:28 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks for your reply,but how to untar the image file?

在 2013年11月22日星期五UTC+8下午4时35分11秒,ferdy写道:

Ferran Rodenas

Nov 22, 2013, 3:57:20 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Assuming you're using a *unix flavor OS: 'tar xzvf <stemcell-archive>'

- Ferdy

AliBaba

Nov 22, 2013, 4:19:34 AM11/22/13
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi ferdy,
I can upload image via glance_cli,there is no problem with the root.img

在 2013年11月22日星期五UTC+8下午4时57分20秒,ferdy写道:

Jason Anderson

Jan 6, 2014, 4:00:58 PM1/6/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Happy Holidays All,

We also were looking to deploy Cloud Foundry using BOSH on OpenStack Havana.  According to Dr. Nic's and Ferdy's previous posts, it looks like this is possible (at least for DevStack).

@AliBaba, were you able to make any more progress or know of others successful with a full scale deployment?  Thanks!

 - Jason

Heiko Krämer

Jan 7, 2014, 4:33:42 AM1/7/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi and a happy new year at all :),

so in short, yes Bosh is running successfully with Havana. We have a
massive scaled production CF deployment on OpenStack (Havana 2013.1).
We are using the cloud archives stable version instead of devstack ;),
so I can't get you any information about devstack.

The OpenStack CPI using only basic API commands and works with any parts
of Havana including Swift. You should use Neutron instead of
nova-network that's all :)

Cheers and good Luck
Heiko
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pP2wALMwxgA/Uo8UkAU7tiI/AAAAAAAAAIA/ldzSM-riUfQ/s1600/111.jpg>

Folsom<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.openstack.org%2Fwiki%2FReleaseNotes%2FFolsom&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGcVpW3JG8GTEWmVLxgrxQCjUPPeQ>
Grizzly<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.openstack.org%2Fwiki%2FReleaseNotes%2FGrizzly&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGq0YZA0RgqwnmhcK3TDhoUxq9V6Q>

`https://microbosh-openstack:25555<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fmicrobosh-openstack%3A25555&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFqX-ZmVUOOcZOSAPAUF2vmAaVCzQ>'
--
anynines.com

Jason Anderson

Jan 13, 2014, 9:43:58 AM1/13/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks Heiko for the non-devstack deployment experience.  Any known problems with using nova-network in Havana for CloudFoundry if one wasn't ready to upgrade that it yet?

Dr Nic Williams

Jan 13, 2014, 10:42:15 AM1/13/14
to bosh-users
Jason, afaik the only "problem" is that you must use the PowerDNS managed by BOSH for statically referencing jobs within deployment manifests. This is bad because its a single point of failure. Not just a SPOF for ops activities - all traffic will then use PowerDNS, and its backed by a single node of Postgresql.; which means that if Postgres is down then NO DNS requests are serviced and much of your deployment's traffic might fail.

So, PowerDNS is ok for development/non-critical production. Thus, nova-networks is ok for development/test/non-critical production.

Heiko Krämer

Jan 13, 2014, 11:44:00 AM1/13/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org

Ferran Rodenas

Jan 13, 2014, 1:08:35 PM1/13/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Another approach can be using floating IP's to define statically what IPs will be assigned to each vm, in that case you won't need PowerDNS nor OpenStack Neutron

- Ferdy

2014/1/13 Dr Nic Williams <drnicw...@gmail.com>
Jason, afaik the only "problem" is that you must use the PowerDNS managed by BOSH for statically referencing jobs within deployment manifests. This is bad because its a single point of failure. Not just a SPOF for ops activities - all traffic will then use PowerDNS, and its backed by a single node of Postgresql.; which means that if Postgres is down then NO DNS requests are serviced and much of your deployment's traffic might fail.

So, PowerDNS is ok for development/non-critical production. Thus, nova-networks is ok for development/test/non-critical production.

Dr Nic Williams

Jan 13, 2014, 1:19:06 PM1/13/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Good call.
Message has been deleted

gouri...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2014, 6:05:46 AM7/11/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

I am following http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/  to deploy Cloud foundry on OpenStack. I have nova network in OpenStack Havana. Are there any specific changes in the installation for nova network against neutron?

I Validated the OpenStack environment and everything looks fine but when I do micro bosh deploy (http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/deploying_microbosh.html) , I am stuck with error' unable to connect to Compute API ' .

Can anyone help me with this?
error_micro_bosh2.png
error_log.txt

cmi...@pivotallabs.com

Jul 21, 2014, 1:33:46 PM7/21/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, gouri...@gmail.com
Hello,

Could you please post a sanitized version of your mircroBOSH deployment manifest as no changes should be required to deploy to OpenStack Havana using nova networking. Also it appears that you are not using a VIP address which I believe is required for OpenStack.

CF BOSH Team

Caleb Miles

Heiko Krämer

Aug 1, 2014, 8:55:49 AM8/1/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org

Hi Gowri,

So I've no idea if the openstack CPI is working with nova-network
correctly and in addition nova-network is deprecated so you shouldn't
use it for test-cases or production environments.

Neutron is much more flexible in all cases. You can use plugins to
communicate directly with your switches (hw) or you can use OVS. You
have plugins (services) for LBaaS, VPNaaS, IPSec and whatever.

In short, use Neutron :) and forget nova-network.

For more Informations: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron

Short Tip: If your beginning with testing CF on OpenStack you should use
the IceHouse release of OpenStack otherwise you need to change the
network plugin from ovs to ml2 in the future. In testing env's not a bi
deal but in production env it will be complicated.

A good place to ask OpenStack related questions is http://ask.openstack.org

Cheers
Heiko

On 11.07.2014 11:45, gouri...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Heiko Kramer,
>
> Will Cloud foundry on Openstack Havana work only on Neutron and not on
Nova
> ?
> I have been trying on Havana-nova network but I am stuck with error while
> deploying micro bosh .
> Can You please provide details/share experience on working on Nova
network
> vs Neutron .
>
> Thanks,
> Gowri
>> an email to bosh-users+...@cloudfoundry.org <javascript:>.
>>>

>> --
>> anynines.com

an email to bosh-users+...@cloudfoundry.org.

- --
anynines.com

dkal...@pivotal.io

Aug 4, 2014, 5:07:10 PM8/4/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, gouri...@gmail.com
I'm not sure if you will run into problems with nova-networking later but it appears that BOSH cannot even reach authentication endpoint. Have you tried curling it from the machine you are running micro deploy?

Gouri Budal

Aug 4, 2014, 10:46:17 PM8/4/14
to dkal...@pivotal.io, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

yes, it seems like that. I am facing issues in accessing endpoints . Curl also failed .
Currently  I am trying with the Icehouse version of OpenStack. I will get back with the results

Thanks for the support
--
Thanks

Gowri L N

gowri...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2014, 5:59:49 AM8/6/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, gouri...@gmail.com
Hi Caleb Miles,

Thanks for the response. The parameter VIP is optional right ? ( according to http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/deploying_microbosh.html ) My instance has floating IP and I have DHCP server running in my cluster.

Any suggestions ?