Openstack Availability Zones and Cinder

John Isaac

Aug 18, 2014, 6:34:36 PM8/18/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hello:

Were attempting to get a working CFv2 within a non default Availability Zone and are failing at creating the cinder volume and attaching. When deploying the bosh micro server the VM is created within the correct availability zone but the cinder volumes are not. Our bosh micro yml file contains  the availability zone within the bosh micro yml,  "avaialbity_zone: ###" so this does appear to be working for compute scheduling. Is there any additional code that needs to be added to specify cinder availability zones? OpenStack does requires an AZ flag when creating a volume within cinder and specifying a specific AZ.

  persistent_disk: 20480

  cloud_properties:

    instance_type: m1.medium

    availability_zone: ##

Thanks in advanced.

john

Dmitriy Kalinin

Aug 18, 2014, 7:00:05 PM8/18/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
It appears that openstack CPI adds availability zone in create volume call based on what server it might be attached: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/bosh_openstack_cpi/lib/cloud/openstack/cloud.rb#L396

Since we use fog in OpenStack CPI, issue in fog repo seems to be most likely cause: https://github.com/fog/fog/issues/3011.

John Isaac

Aug 18, 2014, 7:30:32 PM8/18/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Thats exactly the issue we are facing. Any workarounds you can think of to get around this? We are attempting to go back a version of Fog but not sure if thats going to help...

John Isaac

Aug 19, 2014, 11:02:45 AM8/19/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Rolling back fog's version to 1.22 didn't work. Looks like their was another bug thread here https://github.com/fog/fog/issues/3011  but was never resolved.

 Anyone successfully worked around this issue? We use AZ to physically separate our customers and I'm sure others do as well. Would be nice to see a fix for this.

Dmitriy Kalinin

Aug 19, 2014, 2:51:42 PM8/19/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I can look into how to fix fog gem today. No promises.

John Isaac

Aug 19, 2014, 3:13:47 PM8/19/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
That would be great. Thanks so much.

Dmitriy Kalinin

Aug 21, 2014, 1:48:38 PM8/21/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Taking longer than expected...

John Clendennen

Aug 21, 2014, 1:53:02 PM8/21/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Not a problem. APpreciate you looking into this for us.
--

John Clendennen

eplexity, LLC.

1062 Delaware St

Denver, CO 80204

303.905.4365

j...@eplexity.com

http://eplexity.com

  Connect on LinkedIn

john mcteague

Dec 7, 2014, 6:12:12 PM12/7/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
BOSH 2778 should resolve this now, I had been tracking the same problem and will be testing shortly