How to balance aming multiple runner instances

alvi...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2015, 3:57:02 AM4/20/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, Alvise Dorigo, Alvise Dorigo
Hi,
I started from an installation with only one CF runner instance, with 2 app deployed on it.
Then I modified my cf-deployment.yml increasing by one the number of runner instances. I ran "bosh deploy" and now I've correctly running 2 runner instances.
Then I deployed a new App. It went again on the first CF runner instance (runner_z1/0) which already has 2 apps running on it.

The question: why the third app hasn't been sent to the second runner instance ? I'd expect some kind of load balancing; is my expectation correct ?
Which is the agorithm balancing the user deployed apps among the CF runner instances ?
And how is it customizable (if it is) ?

   Alvise

Matthew Sykes

Apr 20, 2015, 6:38:45 AM4/20/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Placement for staging and the first app instance: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cloud_controller_ng/blob/e4e5294f1767257e294115da2a3c659f19a0ab94/lib/cloud_controller/dea/stager_pool.rb#L31

Both select a subset of DEA's and randomly select one from that subset; placement is not deterministic with DEAs.  Diego's algorithms are different.

Matthew Sykes
matthe...@gmail.com

morika-t

Apr 21, 2015, 11:11:32 PM4/21/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, alvi...@gmail.com, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, alvise...@pd.infn.it

alvi...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 3:20:23 AM4/22/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, alvise...@pd.infn.it, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, alvi...@gmail.com
Hi Morika,
I had talked too early. After a while the system started to behave as expected.
Even the rescaling of an app to 2 instances, seems to distribute the second one on the other runner instances.

thanks, and sorry for the noise.

    A.