Can't deploy BOSH on AWS using microBOSH

Aleksey Zalesov

Nov 25, 2014, 6:10:45 AM11/25/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hello everybody on this mailing list!

A week ago I started to use CloudFoundry and feel very excited about this technology. But now I am a bit stuck.

I am deploying bosh 2776 on AWS using microBOSH. The stemcell light-bosh-stemcell-2776-aws-xen-hvm-ubuntu-trusty-go_agent uploads correctly, but release upload fails with error HTTP 500.

When I login microBOSH instance I see there is very little space left on root partition which is derived from provided AMI.

/dev/xvda1      1.9G  1.7G  112M  94% /

And when release (145M) is uploading, root partition becomes full and I can see not enough space errors in nginx logs.

/dev/xvda1      1.9G  1.8G     0 100% /

Why doesn't microBOSH use almost empty store, which is configured in the deployment manifest?

/dev/xvdf1       20G   84M   19G   1% /var/vcap/store

And how can I fix this error?

I have attached my manifest content and supplementary information to this letter.
case2.txt

Dmitriy Kalinin

Nov 25, 2014, 9:46:20 PM11/25/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
It seems that you have picked very small instance type: t2.small. You should use a bigger one like m3.medium.

Aristoteles Neto

Nov 25, 2014, 10:01:56 PM11/25/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Even m3.medium only comes with 4gb [1]. I reverted to m1.medium because of it.

Dr Nic Williams

Nov 26, 2014, 12:23:37 AM11/26/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Yeah we rolled back bosh-bootstrap to m1.medium too because of the 4G SSD on m3.mediums.

Dmitriy Kalinin

Nov 26, 2014, 12:27:24 AM11/26/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Btw we have a story coming up (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/79502486) to allow to ebs as ephemeral storage for any kind of instance type.

aleksey...@phystech.edu

Nov 26, 2014, 8:14:49 AM11/26/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Problem with m1.medium instances is that they are deprecated by Amazon and not available for some zones (us-east-1e, for example).

Is there any parameter in config that controls AWS instance root partition size? AWS itself allows this because when I create instance from ami by hands, I can specify arbitrary root partition volume for any instance type.

Dmitriy Kalinin

Nov 26, 2014, 8:38:13 PM11/26/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, aleksey...@phystech.edu
Currently not; however, it's something that might come up during the story I mentioned above. We do something similar for OpenStack flavors: if there is no ephemeral disk available, bosh will create an additional partition to use for ephemeral storage on the root disk if there is enough extra space.