SPIFF INSTALLATION ON LINUX TO GENERATE THE CF MANIFEST

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 13, 2015, 6:56:34 AM3/13/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi All,
         Could anyone please tell how to install SPIFF on Linux machine and whats the command to generate the CF manifest file automatically?? Please provide me the step-by-step procedure, since am a newbie.. Thanks in Advance to All..

Alberto A. Flores

Mar 13, 2015, 7:09:00 AM3/13/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Recommend trying "travelling bosh".

Alberto
Twitter: albertoaflores

On Mar 13, 2015, at 6:56 AM, Parthiban Annadurai <senji...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
         Could anyone please tell how to install SPIFF on Linux machine and whats the command to generate the CF manifest file automatically?? Please provide me the step-by-step procedure, since am a newbie.. Thanks in Advance to All..

Johannes Hiemer

Mar 13, 2015, 7:22:13 AM3/13/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I created a blog post, you could read it here: http://goo.gl/2ZEOzq

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 13, 2015, 7:23:58 AM3/13/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Alberto,
               Thanks for your kind reply. But, now i can install this feature since i already did the microbosh deploymentw with previous BOSH_CLI-1.2865??

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 13, 2015, 8:23:26 AM3/13/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
@ Johannes.. Thanks for your reply.. Let me try and tell you..

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 13, 2015, 8:36:05 AM3/13/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
@Johannes,
                  Really your blog is nice. What am facing now is the following,

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&'

Is this the correct command to run on CentOS?? Thanks..

Wayne E. Seguin

Mar 14, 2015, 9:59:13 AM3/14/15
to bosh-users
Hi Parthiban,

This one was cute, made me chuckle. When you copied and pasted from the browser into the command line you ended up with HTML characters in the output, specifically &lt; instead of what they should have been which is <. This is an issue with the blog post itself.

eg: the command should have been:

I'd recommend instead using a pipe:

Or even better, inspect the script before you randomly run it :)

Wayne E. Seguin

Mar 14, 2015, 10:00:15 AM3/14/15
to bosh-users
Hey Johannes,

Why is it required to install mercurial and bzr? Git submodules or such?

  ~Wayne

Dr Nic Williams

Mar 14, 2015, 10:55:54 AM3/14/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-users
Spiff is available pre-compiled. It's also prepackaged in traveling-bosh which is how some ppl are installing spiff even if they install bosh via rubygems.

Wayne E. Seguin

Mar 14, 2015, 11:02:37 AM3/14/15
to bosh-users
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Dr Nic Williams <drnicw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spiff is available pre-compiled. It's also prepackaged in traveling-bosh which is how some ppl are installing spiff even if they install bosh via rubygems.

^^ Even better

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 15, 2015, 1:22:09 PM3/15/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi All,
         With all of your kind help i successfully installed SPIFF sucessfully. But, the problem is am not able to use the generated manifest file cf-deployment.yml, since it is empty in content. So, please anyone tell how to generate the manifest file with the cf-stub.yml file, am following docs.cloudfoundry.org for installing CF using BOSH. Thanks in Advance..

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 2:33:22 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi All,
        Thanks all for your kind replies.. In CF manifest, how i need to specify the token value?? We need to specify different tokens or same we can specify?? Sorry, may be am asking basic question.. Thanks in Advance..

On 14 March 2015 at 20:32, Wayne E. Seguin <wayneeseguin@starkandwayne.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Dr Nic Williams <drnicw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spiff is available pre-compiled. It's also prepackaged in traveling-bosh which is how some ppl are installing spiff even if they install bosh via rubygems.

^^ Even better

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 6:37:11 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi All,

I have followed the link http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/cf-manifest-spiff.html to generate the cf-deployment.yml file , but its not generating anything.. Could anyone please tell me elaborately?? I need  anyone of your kind help on this to generate manifest..

The steps i followed as follows,

i) first i copied the cf-stub.yml file from /cf-release/spec/fixtures/vsphere to cf-release directory.
ii) modified that file based on the link you specified, in that for tokens, secrets, keys i specified same password to all.
iii) then i used the command, "./generate_deployment_manifest /root/oss/cf-release/spec/fixtures/vsphere/ cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml".
iv) it automatically created the cf-deployment.yml file in directory also but in that no contents, it has only the following,

       "usage: ./generate_deployment_manifest <aws|openstack|warden|vsphere> [stubs...]"

FYI, I have attached my cf-stub.yml file as MS-Word document. Please refer it and anyone kindly help me on this..

Thanks in Advance..
cf-stub.doc

Johannes Hiemer

Mar 17, 2015, 6:47:31 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Parthiban,
you may have forgotten the cloud endpoint identifier. You wrote:

"./generate_deployment_manifest /root/oss/cf-release/spec/fixtures/vsphere/ cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml".

But the command expects:

"./generate_deployment_manifest vsphere /root/oss/cf-release/spec/fixtures/vsphere/cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml".

Besides that: please do not double post your questions. It makes the mailing list noisy and people tend to avoid to help you.

Regards,
Johannes

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 6:49:58 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 6:54:40 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
@Johannes.. I have tried your suggestion.. it gives the following,

./generate_deployment_manifest vsphere /root/oss/cf-release/spec/fixtures/vsphere/cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml
./generate_deployment_manifest: line 17: spiff: command not found

am running it form cf-release directory.. Could you please?? Thanks in Advance..

Johannes Hiemer

Mar 17, 2015, 6:59:00 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
@Parthiban,
that means either your Go installation is not yet complete, or Spiff is not installed, or what I would expect more: go is not on your path and as result Spiff not available. Are you on Linux?

Please do a

go env

There you should see the path to go. Afterwards:

export GOPATH=~/thePathYouFound
export PATH=$PATH:$GOPATH/bin

And rerun the command

./generate_deployment_manifest vsphere /root/oss/cf-release/spec/fixtures/vsphere/cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 7:04:17 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
@Johannes.. Am on Linux only..

go env gives the following,

go env
GOARCH="amd64"
GOBIN=""
GOCHAR="6"
GOEXE=""
GOHOSTARCH="amd64"
GOHOSTOS="linux"
GOOS="linux"
GOPATH=""
GORACE=""
GOROOT="/usr/lib/golang"
GOTOOLDIR="/usr/lib/golang/pkg/tool/linux_amd64"
CC="gcc"
GOGCCFLAGS="-fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0"
CXX="g++"
CGO_ENABLED="1"

What i can do now Johannes?? Sorry Johannes may be am asking basic..

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 7:38:28 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
@Johannes.. Thanks A TON.. Am Successfully generated manifest.. GO Installation was the issue.. Once Again Thanks.. Now I will proceed further in deploying CF.. Once again Thanks..

Johannes Hiemer

Mar 17, 2015, 7:42:46 AM3/17/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Parthiban,
if I may give you and advise with further proceeding with CF:

It is important, that you understand the concepts and toolset you are using. It may be possible that we guide you through the complete installation process in this thread, but I don't think that this beneficial for anyone of us. For you it is important to understand at least 80%. So please start using google to gather information regarding your problems. If you would have done that for the Spiff stuff you would have had found the following thread: https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!topic/bosh-users/r9huiGKQCVY which explains nearly exactly the same symptoms you have.

What you need to do is run:

export GOPATH=/usr/lib/golang
export PATH=$PATH:$GOPATH/bin

And put that in your ~/.bash_rc or ~/.bash_profile.

Regards,
Johannes

Parthiban Annadurai

Mar 17, 2015, 7:46:16 AM3/17/15