Bosh stemcell - vcpu limit

Clete Penrod

Apr 7, 2015, 4:25:43 PM4/7/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I am only able to assign up to 8 vcpu's on bosh deployed instances in vsphere (ubuntu stemcell). I have other non-bosh instances that allow me to set up to 32 vcpu's. I've been looking at the pro's and con's of horizontal vs vertical scaling. What's the benefit of limiting the vcpu's at 8?

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 7, 2015, 5:58:20 PM4/7/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I don't think vsphere CPI limits it. Do you see an error message when using 9 CPUs?

This problem might relate to the hardware version of stemcells used which is 7. Potentially upgrading stemcell HW version will resolve this.

Clete Penrod

Apr 7, 2015, 7:05:44 PM4/7/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
It does look like its a limitation connected to the HW version the stemcell is created on.

HW version 7 is the ESI/ESX 4.x product which has a cpu limit of 8.
Are there any plans in the works to build stemcell's on the vmware HW version 8?

William C Penrod

Jun 9, 2015, 1:48:00 PM6/9/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Posting result for anyone that comes across this and is interested:

vSphere 2972 stemcell is now at hardware version 8 .