Issues with standard OpenJDK8 on the Ubuntu stemcell fixed using OpenJDK8 by pivotal.io

Cyrille Le Clerc

Apr 24, 2015, 4:23:16 AM4/24/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Dear all,

We faced issues trying to use the standard OpenJDK8 package for Ubuntu on the Ubuntu Trusty Warden Stemcell (installed with "bosh-gen package --apt") and the problems were fixed replacing this standard OpenJDK8 by the version published by Pivotal: https://download.run.pivotal.io/openjdk-jdk/lucid/x86_64/openjdk-1.8.0_25.tar.gz

We did not investigate a lot, our issue was that Jenkins app failed to start.

Are there some tricks on the Ubuntu Trusty Stemcell or in the OpenJDK package by Pivotal that we should be aware of?

Cyrille

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 24, 2015, 12:55:02 PM4/24/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
What kind of issues did you see? Do you have a stacktrace of some kind?

Cyrille Le Clerc

Apr 26, 2015, 12:45:22 PM4/26/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Thank you Dmitriy for answering.

It is a strange error, I installed OpenJDK8 with @DrNick's "boshgen package --apt".

The Jenkins JVM is started and does not report error but it not not listening on its HTTP port and thus not serving any page.
I could generate a thread dump, it is like if the main thread died before starting the HTTP transport, I suspect that a not catched Java Error occurred on the initialization thread (usually, Java app catch Exceptions but rarely catch Errors).

I would have to investigate more finding debug flags in OpenJDK to track this failure.

For the moment, we will stick to OpenJDK by pivotal.io

Cyrille

Dr Nic Williams

Apr 26, 2015, 2:30:44 PM4/26/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
BTW I'm working on adding a"bosh-gen package --docker image" to make it super easy to package all the really hard things that don't want to be packed by bosh. No ETA. Just have a plan for it as of this morning.

Cyrille Le Clerc

Apr 28, 2015, 12:47:33 PM4/28/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks Nic,

The ability to use native packages and Docker images would greatly improve our productivity and would lower our learning curve on BOSH.

Cyrille