Try to build rhel stemcell, failed at step: No installation strategy for open-vm-tools, exiting.

d...@pivotal.io

Apr 19, 2015, 12:03:39 PM4/19/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Try to build rhel stemcell, failed at step:  No installation strategy for open-vm-tools, exiting.

How to fix that?

Alexander Lomov

Apr 19, 2015, 2:40:00 PM4/19/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
The first idea that I have is to add `yum install open-vm-tools` instead of this line

Possibly you'll need some additional steps from this article.

Best wishes,
Alex L.

------------------------
Alex Lomov
Altoros — Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration
Twitter: @code1n GitHub: @allomov

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 7:03 PM, <d...@pivotal.io> wrote:
Try to build rhel stemcell, failed at step:  No installation strategy for open-vm-tools, exiting.

How to fix that?

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 20, 2015, 2:37:41 AM4/20/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
PR?

d...@pivotal.io

Apr 21, 2015, 11:56:50 AM4/21/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
yum install open-vm-tools does not work, as "There are no enabled repos“ while building the stemcell..

Alexander Lomov

Apr 21, 2015, 12:33:46 PM4/21/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
`There are no enabled repos` error is a yum specific error. You can use `subscribe-manager` tool to solve it, also you can try the way described in this article

Unfortunately I currently doesn't have environment with red hat to play with it and to provide you with precise solution.

------------------------
Alex Lomov
Altoros — Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration
Twitter: @code1n GitHub: @allomov

Alexander Lomov

Apr 21, 2015, 7:44:26 PM4/21/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
As far as I can see, some work have been done to be able to run stemcell generator with rhel [1]. Here you can see using subscription-manager I talked about [2]. Btw what command do you use to build rhel stemcell ? Do you specify operating system correctly ?

------------------------
Alex Lomov
Altoros — Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration
Twitter: @code1n GitHub: @allomov

Dongfei Wu

Apr 21, 2015, 9:07:33 PM4/21/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Thx Alexander,
The command I use is::   bundle exec rake stemcell:build_with_local_os_image[vsphere,esxi,rhel,7,go,/tmp/rhel_7_base_image.tgz]
But the code I use is from April 4 , and I notice there are some code change after that, probably that's the reason that fails.

Dongfei WU
Pivotal – Professional Services

wudo...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 4:03:11 AM4/25/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, d...@pivotal.io
Hi Alexander,

I used the latest code, but met the same issue.

在 2015年4月22日星期三 UTC+8上午9:07:33,Dongfei Wu写道:

Alexander Lomov

Apr 25, 2015, 4:14:44 AM4/25/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, d...@pivotal.io
Did you specify RHN_USERNAME and RHN_PASSWORD environment variables?

Possibly the way that is described in this article in "VMware Tools in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Guest" paragraph can help you to solve this problem. You will need to update rhel_base stage in this case.

------------------------
Alex Lomov
Altoros — Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration
Twitter: @code1n GitHub: @allomov

wudo...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 6:10:35 AM4/25/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, d...@pivotal.io
Thx Alex,
I specified  RHN_USERNAME and RHN_PASSWORD environment variables
I changed base_rhel/apply.sh, with one more line to add open-vm-tools, hope this works.
pkg_mgr -c /custom_rhel_yum.conf install subscription-manager
pkg_mgr -c /custom_rhel_yum.conf groupinstall 'Development Tools'
pkg_mgr -c /custom_rhel_yum.conf install open-vm-tools

在 2015年4月25日星期六 UTC+8下午4:14:44,Alexander Lomov写道: