ntpdate deprecated

Leandro David Cacciagioni

Apr 14, 2015, 11:20:49 AM4/14/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi guys!!! Going around on the web today I have found that ntpdate is deprecated are you still using it on stemcells or is there any plan to move to ntpd?

Thanks,
Leandro.-

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 14, 2015, 2:29:36 PM4/14/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
We still use it and have not prioritized it to update it. Are you seeing some unwanted results due to usage of ntpdate vs ntpd?

Leandro David Cacciagioni

Apr 14, 2015, 4:13:06 PM4/14/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Dmitriy thanks for the fast answer and as a reply for your question I can say:

ntpd doesn't sync time periodically (as you need to do with ntpdate) , see here for more information (read the whole thing, it's all important. Short version: ntpd syncs the time and tells the system how fast it's drifting away from "true" time, the system then adjusts its clock frequency to properly track "true" time. Within a day most systems are tracking to within 5ms of the reference).

Absent an EXCELLENT reason you should not be mucking about with the way ntpd adjusts and disciplines your clock - these algorithms have been thoroughly tested and debugged, and given an adequate time reference will produce very small error rates. And I think that could be a great improvement in our stemcells (All of them, even those for AWS) to add ntpd in place of ntpdate.-

Thanks,
Leandro.-

Wayne E. Seguin

Apr 14, 2015, 10:52:41 PM4/14/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
I agree with this assessment / suggestion.