Discussion about MicroBOSH release in every stemcell.

Alexander Lomov

Apr 3, 2015, 8:15:41 AM4/3/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hey, all.

For a long time I meet incomprehension at the fact that MicroBOSH release is build into stemcell. I know that there are clear reasons for it, but I always want to know if there are any plans to extract it to some other place. This is a slightly bit irrational thing to have MicroBOSH release in filesystem of every VM you deploy to a cloud. What do you think about it?

Thank you,
Alex L.

Dr Nic Williams

Apr 3, 2015, 11:05:55 AM4/3/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
The new bosh-micro-cli will work differently. You can investigate it now though it's now formally released.

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 3, 2015, 12:14:45 PM4/3/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
This will be solved by the new micro CLI since it requires user to provide cpi and bosh releases to install on the first VM. Once we publish this work it will be a matter of time when we start producing stemcells only when sec vulnerabilities and agent updates are needed. Exciting times and good question!

Sent from my iPhone

Alexander Lomov

Apr 4, 2015, 4:27:20 AM4/4/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Thank you for answer. Yes, I liked the way bosh-micro-cli works.

But as far as I see it still relies on BOSH release that is build into stemcell. It takes bosh release as a parameter just to run BOSH components on the host where bosh-micro-cli command is run. So I don't think it is going to change things with stemcell.

Alex Lomov
Altoros — Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration
Twitter: @code1n GitHub: @allomov

Dr Nic Williams

Apr 4, 2015, 9:34:22 AM4/4/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
The new bosh-micro doesn't even need to deploy bosh. Last night I took the community redis release and deployed it into a VM with bosh-micro

What's required on the stemcell is the agent & micro.