Creating our own cf-release

Showing 1-16 of 16 messages
Creating our own cf-release Nicholas Terry 1/2/13 4:01 PM
So we are trying to create our own release, but we ultimately don't want to host the public blobs, just our own custom blobs. Is there a way to be able to create a release that gets the upstream cf-release blobs, but also allows us to get our own blobs from our own blobstore?
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Dr Nic Williams 1/2/13 4:13 PM
Currently there isn't.

Is the hosting of the 1G+ of blobs a substantial burden? Or is the feature request a "nice thing to have"?

Nic

--
cell +1 (415) 860-2185
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Nicholas Terry 1/2/13 4:15 PM

Perhaps try bosh-gen, which includes the ability to sync blobs from one release to another.

bosh-gen new my-cf-release
cd my-cf-release
bosh-gen extract-job /path/to/cf-release/jobs/cloud_controller
bosh-gen extract-job /path/to/cf-release/jobs/nats

bosh upload blobs
etc

Let me know how that goes for you. If it doesn't work, I'll make it work :)

Nic
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Martin Englund 1/3/13 12:45 AM
Nick,

what you want is composite releases, where you can do a deployment
using two different releases, i.e. the public cf-release & your own
private release.

Just update your deployment manifest from:

release:
  name: your-release
  version: x

to:

releases:
  - name: cf-release
    version: latest
  - name: your-release
    version: x

/M
--
cheers,
/Martin

Nic
--
cell +1 (415) 860-2185
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Martin Englund 1/3/13 1:20 AM

/M
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Nicholas Terry 1/3/13 5:21 PM
AWESOME!!!! A composite release seems like EXACTLY what i need!!!!
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Dr Nic Williams 1/3/13 7:13 PM
We have an happy customer!! :)
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Joseph Noall 1/4/13 9:20 AM
Martin,

Can this still work if a package or job in the first release has a dependency on a package from the second release?  Or does that prevent you from being able to create the releases?

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:45:46 AM UTC-7, Martin Englund wrote:
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Martin Englund 1/4/13 12:09 PM
bosh create release will fail if you have unresolvable dependencies

/M
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Dr Nic Williams 1/4/13 12:25 PM
Martin, if

* cf-release has a package "dea_ruby19" (v10), and a job "cloud_controller" and
*  mypersonal-release has a package dea_ruby19 (v2), and a job "my_cloud_controller"

Will the bosh agent job spec know to get the correct blob for the correct release?

If the two jobs are run on the same VM via colocation, then will both /var/vcap/data/packages/10/dea_ruby  and /var/vcap/data/packages/2/dea_ruby be installed? Which one will /var/vcap/packages/dea_ruby symlink to?

Nic

--
cell +1 (415) 860-2185
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Martin Englund 1/4/13 12:27 PM

I'll have to check the source...

/M
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Nicholas Terry 1/4/13 1:40 PM
So I get the following error when deploying:

Error 140001: Cannot tell what release job `debian_nfs_server' supposed to use, please reference an existing release

I have two releases, cf-release and my own release (called fs-appcloud). fs-appcloud does not have the debian_nfs-server job in it, and the cf-release does. What am I missing? Do I need to add an item to the job definition in my deployment manifest?
Re: [bosh-users] Creating our own cf-release Oleg Shaldybin 1/5/13 5:40 PM
It's currently not possible to collocate jobs from different releases.
--
Best,
Oleg