How does cloud foundry handle process isolation?

benmccann

May 20, 2012, 2:45:11 AM5/20/12
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
If I setup my own cloud using the open source implementation provided on cloudfoundry.org, will each app that I deploy be run as a separate user? Or is there any of VMWare's virtualization technology in use here? E.g. would each app run in a separate virtual machine or anything like that? How can I configure the memory, cpu, and disk resource limits for each app?

Thanks,
Ben

Patrick Bozeman

May 21, 2012, 12:18:40 PM5/21/12
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
If your DEA is configured to run in secure mode, then each app runs as its own user and process isolation is used to protect them.  We are moving toward a model of using linux cgroups http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cgroups when on linux, using the warden cgroup wrappers that are already in our source tree.

VM based isolation for a single app is pretty heavy weight, but we have long term plans to provide this for apps that need/desire it.  (As opposed to the warden/cgroup work which is a near term project)

Ben McCann

May 21, 2012, 3:08:07 PM5/21/12
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Great thanks for the info!  I agree that virtualization would be heavyweight, but had to wonder if it was being used given that the project is sponsored by VMWare.  I was a bit worried about the potential overhead, but the approach you described makes sense to me, so I'll probably be adopting CloudFoundry over Openshift with that clarified.

Thanks,
Ben