Announcing new versions of cf-mysql-release and cf-riak-cs-release

Shannon Coen

Mar 27, 2015, 12:47:35 PM3/27/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
On behalf of the CF Core Services team I am pleased to announce v18 of cf-mysql-release and v9 of cf-riak-cs-release

---

cf-mysql-release is a BOSH release that delivers a database-as-a-service for Cloud Foundry users. Through Cloud Foundry, users can provision databases on-demand and deliver unique credentials to bound applications.

v18 delivers improved high availability by eliminating scenarios where client connections are not severed when a cluster node becomes unwritable. By forcing clients to reconnect when a node becomes unwritable, we can keep clients routed to a healthy backend cluster node. In the past we relied on the MariaDB process dying to sever connections but in scenarios where the cluster node is in a running but unwritable state, a client connection would not be closed and queries would return misleading errors.

In order to sever connections in all cases we wrote a tcp proxy in Go called Switchboard. In v18, Switchboard replaces HAProxy as the underlying package for the proxy job. Switchboard monitors the health of all cluster nodes and if a node becomes unwritable for any reason severs all connections to it, forcing reconnects and routing new connections to a healthy node. Switchboard also comes with a basic dashboard that displays cluster health (see attached screenshot), driven by a simple API.

Detailed release notes can be found on Github and bosh.io. Note that this release contains changes to manifest properties.

---

cf-riak-cs-release is a BOSH release that delivers an S3-compatible, highly available object store as-a-service for Cloud Foundry users. Through Cloud Foundry, users can provision S3-style buckets and deliver unique credentials to bound applications.

v9 includes a few minor changes; primarily upgrades to the versions of the Riak and Riak CS packages to address a few issues reported by operators.

Detailed release notes can be found on Github and bosh.io

---

Finally, I'd like to introduce Marco Nicosia, who is taking over for me as Product Manager for the CF Core Services team at Pivotal, responsible for these two open-source projects.

As PM for the CF Services API team I will continue to focus on enabling richer user experiences and integrations with services in Cloud Foundry through enhancements to the Cloud Controller and Service Broker APIs.

Best,

Shannon Coen
Product Manager, Cloud Foundry
Pivotal, Inc.
Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 7.13.23 PM.png

Mike Youngstrom

Mar 27, 2015, 2:08:47 PM3/27/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Welcome Marco!

Mike

Greg Oehmen

Mar 27, 2015, 7:30:49 PM3/27/15
to vcap-dev
Shannon forgot to add this last line about Marco:  Detailed release notes can be found on Github and Linkedin.

Greg Oehmen
Cloud Foundry Product Manager