Can BOSH auto allocate floating-ips?

ooo pfm

Jul 6, 2014, 10:19:06 PM7/6/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi, all
  I'm using BOSH on Openstack to do some deploy jobs. When I need a floating-ip on some vms, I have to allocate it first.
  So , can I do like this,e.g.:

networks:
- name: floating
  type: vip
  cloud_properties:
    net_id: an_external_network_id
- name: default
  type: dynamic
  cloud_properties:
    net_id:  an_internal_network_id
    security_groups:
    - logstash
    - ssh
    - cf-private

resource_pools:
  - name: logstash
    network: default
    size: 1
    stemcell:
      name: bosh-openstack-kvm-ubuntu-lucid
      version: latest
    cloud_properties:
      instance_type: m1.medium

jobs:
  - name: logstash-shipper
    release: logstash
    template:
      - logstash-shipper
      - logstash-ui
    instances: 1
    resource_pool: logstash
    networks:
    - name: default
      default: [dns, gateway]
    - name: floating

In the bosh_openstack_cpi  code, I find there is a nil ip check in vip_network.rb,  It does not work.

I want to know, will BOSH support to auto allocate and assign floating-ips? If yes, what's the plan, or if no, why?

dmi...@pivotallabs.com

Jul 8, 2014, 1:18:22 AM7/8/14
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
We actually did have few discussions about such feature but for AWS. Currently it is not a high priority; however, it would be helpful to know more about your use case:

- As a deployment operator do you not care which floating IP is selected for an instance?
- If not, would you care if a different floating IP was assigned after instance was recreated?
- Would you want to select floating IPs from a specific pool if IaaS provides such organization?

Thanks,
-dk